Major Work Woes.. (1 Viewer)

strangevege

HSC
I'm looking at family and the impact it has on an individual.
So far i've decided on doing stop motion, with little people made out of cut out pictures with split pins... I'm going to have the background all cut out childrens picture books. Thinking of having a hand or shadow represent the parent/creator. Still trying to define my idea really, but i REALLY have to start.
1000's of pictures here i come! :wave:

imnotwallace

HSC
@strangevege

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but as a fellow animator who is doing a rotoscope animation. I'm concerned you may not have enough time left til the due date to finish your work. Then again, I don't know how many fps you're using and so forth. Work on your project every day, and EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'm slowly progressing towards my goal by animating 1.5 - 2.5 seconds of footage per day and currently at around 50 seconds. Get out a calculator and figure out how many shots you need and how you're going to distribute them over the remaining year.
An important thing about animation is you really have to have a clearcut idea of your concept as early as possible (as in beginning of the filming process) otherwise your indecisiveness will really show on film.

Logey

HSC
I'm in a similar situation to you, I have a concept just trying to work out ways to convey my concept and what art techniques and methods to use etc. I always knew what concept and idea I wanted to do since year 11 art. My art teacher has told us its good to choose something that relates to our own personal context. So in my case I have a brother who has autism so I have chosen to create a body of work based around how he sees the world. My art teacher has given me the thumbs up so I suggest like others have, to choose something derived from your personal context, don't choose something you aren't that passionate about because you're lack of knowledge and passion will come out in your end product.

I have also been told from successful art students that ideas and concepts shouldn't be too complex. Don't worry about choosing a simple idea because as time goes on you will develop and create to your initial idea. As for your actual bow, don't do something too safe. Many people in my art class are doing paintings because that is what they are comfortable with. You have time to experiment with different mediums, don't go with what everyone else is doing because the markers get sick of seeing the same thing used. Goodluck!

Hey did you see last years art express? This girl did a similar work based on her brothers ceribal Pausy (wrong spelling), she drew how he would see the world, she did different sized panels with charchoal, it was amazing. I dont know how but if you can check it out, would be rad inspiration for your work :)

Logey

HSC
i know what i want to do but everytime i go to tell my teacher hes like its stupid etc.
So im afraid atm to tell him my new idea.

i want to do a series of photographs with the conceptual idea that we are just all statistics. And in the end how we are all just classified as a number in a system.
I want to take photos of people in ordinary situations but cut them out and make them into barcodes.
I also want to photograph some statistics such as car crashes etc. But like use toy cars.
And have the statistic in text.

but i dont know if it addresses the ideas of post modernism..
:(
HELP?

It probably is slightly postmodern because it challenges conventional artmaking methods, eg using pre used items and mixed media. However you could make it more postmodern by including some kind of interpretation and recontextualising it. that Basically means take a famous qoute,image ,character or whatever and change it into your own meaning, Warhol's marilyn monroe work is a simple example of this.

phuck

HSC
i know what i want to do but everytime i go to tell my teacher hes like its stupid etc.
So im afraid atm to tell him my new idea.

i want to do a series of photographs with the conceptual idea that we are just all statistics. And in the end how we are all just classified as a number in a system.
I want to take photos of people in ordinary situations but cut them out and make them into barcodes.
I also want to photograph some statistics such as car crashes etc. But like use toy cars.
And have the statistic in text.

but i dont know if it addresses the ideas of post modernism..
:(
HELP?
I was considering something similar at the start of the year, but I ended up going in a different direction. However, there was a book that I was interested in reading called id by Susan Greenfield which was related to that topic.

The postmodernists were really concerned with the idea of truth and how it didn't exist, so if there's any way you can incorporate that concept it, it'd be more postmodern. But you don't necessarily have to make it fit the conventions of postmodernism if it doesn't match your artwork.

Hope this helps!
:)

AND also for the original person, just do something that you like aesthetically, but make sure there are some themes that appear throughout (ie, certain shades of colours, etc), and then make up the concept when you're finished. It seems stupid, but I've noticed that heaps of works in art express don't really relate to their concepts - they're quite ambiguous. There's only a few artworks that I've seen that present a clear message in the work and it's reinforced by the statement. So just do what you like and make up something that fits after.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)