Major textbook dilemma!!! (1 Viewer)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
this is the textlist for Babs1201, and only Babs1201.

Biology 7E + Biology of Cancer PRESCRIBED Campbell
Biology 7E + Biological Terrorism PRESCRIBED Campbell
Biology 7E + Understanding the Human Genome 2E PRESCRIBED Campbell Reece Meyers
Biology 7E + Stem Cells Cloning PRESCRIBED Campbell
Biology 7E + Infectious Diseases PRESCRIBED Campbell
Biology 7E + HIV & Aids PRESCRIBED Campbell
Biology 7E + Gene Therapy PRESCRIBED Campbell

Now there are 7 books, what should I get, i'm looking into getting
"Biology 7E + Understanding the Human Genome 2E PRESCRIBED Campbell Reece Meyers"
Is it alright if i jsut get this one book for Babs1201 or do i need the whole 7, or any other summaries,guides, outlines. Also how about other courses like math,phys,chem. Do i need all the books or jsut one or two????

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, last year they just told us to buy the big "BIOLOGY" textbook by Reece, Campbell and Myers. Go to the UNSW bookshop, and you'll see a whopping big book with a denim spine for about $120. That's my bet for what book you'll need.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
or you can go to textbookexchange and get the same book for half the price

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The main book you need is "Biology 7E". The other book listed is just a bonus for you to have and it is probably irrelevant to you in BABS1201. So pick withever bonous book you want.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Does it matter if it is the 6th edition or the 7th. Because on ebay I could get the 6th one for about 25 bucks(with postage in).

here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Biology-Camp...yZ107939QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if I was allowed to post the link there, or if it would have to be in some special html link box, i'm sorry but i dont know how to do that. Don't get angry at me mods.

Um with that link, is that the right book(e.g.the 7th ed, also the 6th ed is a green one right?)
Thanks

Chris.

Last edited:

xxPanDa

HSC
i have anothe question

at the faculty welcome the architecture lecturer said they put togetha
a textbook back, $500
he said it would be cheaper than if u bought it one by one
is this true?

and is this pack only for the first yr? and i have to buy more books in my later yrs? or is it for the whole course?

gman03

HSC
A general comment:

If you read (at all) then several independent books would be best as they would (hopefully) explain difficult concepts in different terms and you have a better chance of understanding the ideas etc.

If you understand stuff at the first go, then you don't need a book. Just take notes from lecture.

If you occasionally miss a few important concepts from lecture, you still don't need a book. Google is Your Fridge. :p

If possession of a book makes you feel invinsible, then consider investing a set of encyclopedia.

/end comment

Re: OP

Try going to library and compare the Table of Content of the different editions (may also be available online). If they set tutorial questions from new edition then just photocopy the questions off someone later. Content should remain fairly constant between editions.

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Thanks for all of your help everyone.

How many copies do they keep of like one edition or two edition old textbooks, like the main babs and chem ones.

I'm wondering if i can just borrow one, or just even use it at the library for the whole semester and save myself some serious cash. What do you think?

Chris.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
For textbooks that are prescribed for the course, they only allow you to borrow them for a maximum of two hours. Any longer they will fine you. So no... you cannot keep it for the entire semester for yourself....

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
2 hours, thats not borrowing, lol.

Anyway, um, would i be able to just use it at the library seeing as no one can take for to long. E.g. that means i will have to stay back(or come in early) to study, what does everyone think about studying mainly at the library, and using just notes at home to study and revise?

Chris.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)