Major Project (1 Viewer)

tekster

HSC
N/A
Sooner or later, everyone studying SDD in 2003 will be receiving their major projects. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>Chat application for use over the network,
>like an instant messenger.

AAAAAARGH! Done to death! :D

Umm... How about:

- A personal organiser (include a 'helpful' MS Agent, or similar. Maybe).

- A simple game based on a classic (eg. Lazerzone by Llamasoft would be good. :D )

- Quake 5 (Maybe. You might need Direct X for this one. :cool: )

- An FTP Client

- A MIDI keyboard (that you can use the computer keyboard to input notes instead of having to use the bluddy mouse! :) )

- A 'Horse Racing' game where you predict which 'Horse' will come first.

- Blackjack. :D

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
How did you ppl actually go around programming these things?

My former crappy teacher only ever taught us visual basic. Our major assignment was to make some kind of booking reservation program or something. Everyone had to do the same thing anyway.

Not that it matters.

It's all over now.

del

HSC
N/A
ditto to VB, but we had the choice to use whatever lang we wanted....

yeah we could do whatever too.

Rahul

Dead Member
the teacher at our skool is going to allow us to choose our own program, lyk he did last year(Yr 11). we should be getting the details soon.

the ppl from last year made things lyk ticketing/reservation programs, stuff lyk dat.....i am not too sure how complex a program he wants.

:confused: a chat application.....whoa.....all we have done is "complex" iteration!!!

del

HSC
N/A
hehe....

look up the MSDN and winsock.... its got a pretty good example on how the control works in terms of a chat application

tekster

HSC
N/A
Chat applications.. sounds a bit complex but I wouldn't mind giving it a go in my spare time.

I've got around 5 months for the major project. The teacher is still deciding whether to make it a group project or not (I hate group work.. theres always an imbalance of workload).

The only criteria for the major project so far is that:
- needs to at least write and read files.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>The only criteria for the major project so far is that:
>- needs to at least write and read files.

Yay! An excuse to return to the archaic, but more useful!

Right. Instead of storing setting in the Registry (a choke point in my opinion - every program accesses it, yet it is ONE file on the hard disk. Access-time-related problems resulting, yes?), store them in an .INI file.

Also, umm... Chat programs. For a 'broadcast' program where everyone can see everyone else's messages, use UDP and bind the winsock to:

mid$(Winsock1.localIP, 1, len(Winsock1.localIP) - 3) + "255"

Ie, a broadcast address. Only works if you all are on the same subnet (? Damn, I've forgotten the proper term again).

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by del
hehe....

look up the MSDN and winsock.... its got a pretty good example on how the control works in terms of a chat application
hmmm.....tnx i'll look it up in the near future

tieki

Yes...we have the difficulty of usjng command-prompt-only stuff in Visual C++...it's pretty crap, the amount of things we can (and can't) do in it, but we're all used to it.
BTW, does anyone know the random number function in Visual C++ 6.0? And maybe even the EOF function for reading input files, and how to use it properly???

tieki

So let me get this straight...this prints 20 random integers, between 1 and 6? It seems like that...is there any way to, once you've used one number, take that out from the selection? You could make it a variable in a second, identical loop, and make the program not accept the value when it gets a pre-used one...also, is the "#include <cstdlib>" vital for using this function?

tieki

Yeah, got it, thanks a lot.
I'll have a go at coding both loops, and see how it goes...any more problems, I'll give someone a yell :)

neester

Im in year 12 this year.
what i did for last years major was a network chat program using UDP broadcast.
that got me 100%
so i was happy.
it was 100% skinnable etc...
all done in Visual Basic...
No central server.

but yeah, this year im thinking of making somethign with PERL as i have been learning perl for the last few weeks, its very interesting, very diffenent but a lot better!

tieki

How on earth do u guys all know so much about programming already??? I mean seriously, either our teacher's been teaching us the wrong thing for the past year, or you're all a lot better at programming than me...no-one in our class would even dream of doing a network chat program! Did u learn it all in class, or what? Coz about the hardest thing we can do in Visual C++ atm is arrays...lol

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tieki
How on earth do u guys all know so much about programming already??? I mean seriously, either our teacher's been teaching us the wrong thing for the past year, or you're all a lot better at programming than me...no-one in our class would even dream of doing a network chat program! Did u learn it all in class, or what? Coz about the hardest thing we can do in Visual C++ atm is arrays...lol
mostly from an interest in the area... most i guess have dabbled in various languages in their own free time...... self-learning is the best form of learning in certan aspects...

hhe if it doesn't work the first time... keep trying... even though that sometimes drives me crazy

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by tieki
How on earth do u guys all know so much about programming already???
Outside interest, as stated earlier.

Why are some people really good basketball players, and kick other people's arses at it when they do PE?
They like playing basketball, and they tend to mostly play basketball OUTSIDE of PE.

Analogy enough? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)