Major problem - is Bcom/Bsci the same as Bsci/Bcom?? (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It's technically different.

It has no real effect, but all complaints will be redirected to the first course faculty in the list.

I.e. for Bcom/Bsci, you enrol through commerce faculty. Changes of subjects involve the commerce faculty, and rarely the science faculty.

It's for this reason I suggest enrolling in BSci/BCom, as the science faculty is much easier to deal with (as I've heard).

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Engineering is even easier, as everything's more personal and you can just find Doug Auld, unlike all those appointments to see an a/dean in science. But science is still better than commerce.

A

adamsaclown

KeypadSDM said:
It's technically different.

It has no real effect, but all complaints will be redirected to the first course faculty in the list.

I.e. for Bcom/Bsci, you enrol through commerce faculty. Changes of subjects involve the commerce faculty, and rarely the science faculty.

It's for this reason I suggest enrolling in BSci/BCom, as the science faculty is much easier to deal with (as I've heard).

oh wow. I stand corrected... when I enrolled (2 years ago) there was no Commerce/Science, just Science/Commerce, which was managed by the Science Faculty. But now it seems there is also a Commerce/Science, which requires you do more Commerce units at the beginning of your degree compared to Sci/Com

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Don't they have the same UAC code anyway? The code equates to Commerce/Science....
Apparently, the B Science/B Commerce degree (in that order) no longer exists at USYD but when I talked to some advisers about how the degree works on information day, I was told the Science/Commerce structure where you spend the first 3 years doing 3/4 of science and 1/4 of commerce through the elective option. So you can choose how you want to structure your units of study right? (e.g. more science than commerce in first 3 years rather than the other way around)

Last edited:
A

adamsaclown

Trebla said:
I was told the Science/Commerce structure where you spend the first 3 years doing 3/4 of science and 1/4 of commerce through the elective option. So you can choose how you want to structure your units of study right? (e.g. more science than commerce in first 3 years rather than the other way around)
Yeah thats what I'm doing (and most of the people I know who enrolled with me in 2005). I met some people doing my course who enrolled last year, and most of them seemed to be doign 1/2 science, 1/2 commerce, so I guess they were in 'Commerce/Science'

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
you can plan your degree what ever way you like... the 3/4 thing is just a guide... long as you do at least 1 commerce subject and 1 sci subject each semester until you finish the degree...

and structure wise, there's no diff (b sci/comm vs b comm/sci)

americanshoes

HSC
actually for Commerce / Science it says:

"In the first four semesters of study full-time students enrol in all of the required six Commerce junior core units of study"

When I enrolled (in Science / Commerce), it was first six, so if Science / Commerce even exists anymore, there'll probably be some minor differences like that.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
"Science/Commerce" no longer exists.
It's been replaced by "Commerce/Science" and even the UAC code has changed from last year for this combined degree. I just got an offer for this course. I have to enrol in the Faculty of Economics and Business as they are the primary faculty. I don't think we can elect to enrol in the Faculty of Science.
But we can still choose to do 3/4 science in first 3 years (6 semesters) right?

americanshoes

HSC
well if they're strict about having done the 6 commerce cores in your first 2 years, it means in one of those 2 years, you'll have to do 1/2 commerce 1/2 science.... but then can do 3/4 science 1/4 commerce in the other one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)