Major help needed with this practise essay!!! (1 Viewer)

numg

HSC
here it is: 2001 Specimen paper Q27

Q: Discuss possible government responses to changes in the global economy that have affected Australias trade and financial flows.

With increased intergration with the global economy resulting in tremendous growth in Australias trade and financial flows, the exchange of goods, services and finances are an important aspect of Australias economy. Being a small country dependant on trade, changes in the global business cycle can have large impacts on Australias domestic economy and it is important that the government responds to minimise the damaging impacts of these fluctuations. Possible government policies to achieve this are fiscal, monetary and microeconomic reform.

The Current Account is a key indicator of Australias performance against the rest of the world. The major components of a Current Account are exports, imports, net services and the net income generated by assets. These are a current record of transactions through which trends and impacts can be analysed.

For example recently there has been a major economic downturn beginning with the Wall Street collapse of 2000. Although Australia being an importer of technology wasnt directly adversely affected by the burst of the technological bubble, it sparked a downturn in the global economy. As a result Australian exports where no longer in demand and export growth slowed (contributing -3% to economic growth in 2001-02). This was reflected in the Goods balance where imports outstripped exports resulting in a Goods deficit where previously it was a surplus. Other global factors with September 11, war on Iraq and SARS compounded this loss of global consumer confidence especially in the service export of tourism. Global interest rates where low in an attempt to kick-start the global economy. This encourages domestic firms to borrow from overseas resulting in an increase in Australias already large foreign debt (no idea how much), which in turn increases servicing costs of net income. These factors combined have led to a huge blowout in the CAD of 5.7% (2002-03), which is beyond a sustainable range.

The major impacts of these changes are a decrease or constraint on economic growth and increasing levels of debt. In response the government stimulates the economy through expansionary fiscal and monetary policy, as well as repays public debt through a fiscal surplus. In the long term, the government can use microeconomic reforms to improve productivity as well as raise the levels of national savings.

Fiscal policy is the use of an annual budget to affect the level of economic activity in an economy. A deficit budget where government expenditure exceeds government revenue represents an injection into the economy, raising the level of aggregate demand (C+I+(G-T)+(X-M)). This encourages greater output, expanding the productive capacity of the economy and has a multiplied effect on the level of national income. Greater domestic demand however, will also increase demand for imports leading to a worsening in the Current Account Balance. Also a deficit must be financed and if this is done by borrowing overseas, the government increases the level of foreign debt and subsequent net incomes. Alternatively, the government could have a budget deficit where revenue exceeds expenditure and the surplus from the budget can pay off public debt, yet this will contract the economy instead of encouraging growth.

Monetary policy functions in a similar manner through the manipulation of interest rates. A low interest rate facilitates the expansion of an economy because it encourages borrowing for consumption and investment. For example a low interest rate lessens the mortgage repayments giving the average household more disposable income with which to consume. The lower interest rate however, may encourages spending beyond our means whereas a higher interest rate would raise the levels of national savings.

As can be seen in the two macroeconomic policies, economic growth and national savings are conflicting economic goals. Thus the government uses a policy mix to approach these goals. For example in face of the recent global recession, the government has had a expansionary stance on monetary policy, with a consistent cash rate of 4.75% to stimulate the economy and maintain within the growth target of 3-4%. During this time, the government balanced excess growth with budget surpluses, which were also used to repay public debt. In 2001-02 to 2002-03, this fiscal policy has been loosened to provide additional mild stimulus to the economy.

In the long run, microeconomic reforms must be used to improve the allocative efficiency of the economy. By achieving this, the greater potential in the resources being used can be realised for greater levels of national income. Greater efficiency will make our products more competitive in the global markets improving the Goods balance and in turn reducing foreign debt and debt servicing costs. Reforms that have aided this are the floating of the Australian dollar to a more realistic price; the trade and industry policy to lower trade barriers and increase competitiveness; the national competition policy to encourage efficiency in Public Trading Enterprises; compulsary superannuation to raise the levels of national savings. All these are structural changes aimed at increasing the technical, allocative and dynamic efficiency of the Australian economy allowing it to compete on a global scale. The costs of microeconomic policy are short term such as structural unemployment from inefficient industries after protection is lowered, or investors caught out by the depreciation of the Australian Dollar when it was first floated.

Thus while the government uses macroeconomic policies to smooth the cyclical impacts of fluctuations in the global economy, these policies are difficult to effectively implement due to a conflict in economic objections. Thus it is used in conjunction with microeconomic reforms, such that in the long run, Australia can benefit from global intergration without being impacted too heavily on by changes in the global economy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely hate this topic. I really don't like the way i've handled the question. I mean ive just talked about the global business cycle without anything about the composition or direction of australia's flows. Yet i have no idea how to fit it in. Plus im not even sure if the first bit on CAD is even relevant to the question. What does everyoneone else think and how would yous have answered the Q?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Pretty good :D

A few comments - make explicit introductions, that way u show the marker immediately that u do know something and deserve (lots of) marks ;)

E.g explain what the global economy is.
Explain what the balance of payments is and then launch into the CAD...otherwise the importance of selling assets/acquiring debt to pay for a trade balance deficit is completely lost.

with regard to monetary policy - note that by lowering interest rates, capital outflow increases, and the $A should depreciate ---> making exports more competitive. it does however boost import spending...Consider the trade-offs and how the govt has responded to the impact of these intl influences on our aggregate demand?

In a broader example, state generally that as aus incomes rise relative to the world, our import spending increases, and trade balance worsens...So fiscal/monetary policy to dampen demand may be used to reduce our trade balance/CAD...

Overall you have the info and the understanding, but i think you may need to be a bit more explicit in linking together your various claims. Don't just launch into using fiscal policy to reduce AD, start from the more general proposition of that the effect of fast growth does to our external balance, and work from there.

I would add something in the beginning (once you've spoken about the nature of the global economy) how australia is increasingly interdependent with the rest of the world [insert trade flow/composition info here].

CAD is relevant...in terms of financial stuff, include something perhaps about deregulation of the financial markets/floating of the dollar, restriction on foreign control of assets (e.g telstra). Also acknowledge that since we are so much more dependent on the rest of the world, our macroeconomic policy is increasingly designed with what is happening in the US and the rest of the world, in mind. E.g rate rise - hesitant because altho domestic economy is good, global recovery is only nascent, if that and the interest rate differential between us and america is increasing ---making our exports less competitive.

Ok, sorry for being a bitch :shy: ...generally, it is pretty good, well done! :D

Last edited:

saves.the.day

HSC
I'm no authority on economics but I thought that was a pretty decent response. Your discussion was pretty well rounded as you touched on macro and micro policies.

The question did say "possible government responses to changes in the global economy " so it might have been nice to include how the government responds to the changes in the economy. e.g instead of opening one of your paragraphs with "A deficit budget where government expenditure exceeds government revenue represents an injection " you could have said "The government may deal with fluctuations in the international business cycle with a deficit budget... " as this would tie your response into the part in the question "government responses to changes in the global economy" as you effectivley mention how the government responds to changes. You could even then go on instead of saying "uses a deficit budget" to "during periods of global downturns, the government could adopt.. blah blah ... causing growth to be maintained [now for the discussion part i.e. points for and against] however, this policy may have a detrimental impact if Austrlia adopts this policy while the world experiences a global downturn as demand for Australia's exports will decline, and Australia's demand for imports will increase, causing a deterioration in the terms of trade, resulting in a negative entry in the goods and services section of the current account, worsening the CAD"

The question said "possible government responses" so you could probably include that monetary policy, while it is not used to do so, could possibly be used to affect the exchange rate which answers the "affected Australias trade and financial flows" part of the question. You could discuss this option as having positive aspects such as it will attract or lower investment into Australia, having an effect on the supply of $AUD blah blah blah talk about how lowering interest rates will foster borrowing from Australia causing the supply of AUD to fall.. and then go on to say that the lowered interest rate will increase investment and leads to detrimental implications such as inflation etc.

Another thing that you might have included is the use of statistics in your discussion of monetary policy. Like talk about how the government responded to changes in the global economy for example in 1990 when there was a global recession, interest rates fell from 17.53% (i think its .53 it may be 17.58 i forget) in 1989 to 4.75% in 1994 as a result then discussed the effect of this policy option on trade flows (increased demand because of lower interest rate and then imports increase blah blah.. CAD worsens) and then discuss how it affects financial flows (fosters borrowing from Australia from overseas).

Well I'm not saying this is the right way or anything. Just some points I hope might help you out. Your essays pretty good atm because its well rounded and you touch on the points i reckon examiners want to see.

Good luck with economics, though you seem pretty damn prepared anyway.

numg

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Pretty good :D

heh...thanks. i know i've complained about the question and all but i'd be heaps stoked if i actually managed to get all that down in an exam. It just took me ages to write and made me realise how much i still need to cram.

Originally posted by saves.the.day
Good luck with economics, though you seem pretty damn prepared anyway. [/B]

had 14 days....now down to 3days and only just beginning to cram. I'm sure there are alot of awesome people out there...who just lurk in these forums and don't post nuthing!!!

and does .05 of a % really matter on a figure almost 15 years old? >:D

Thanks guys for the comments...its given me a better picture of the whole thing so i think i'll be able to structure the essay better. Really theres no way to throw in everything that we should have learnt by now so its all about picking the best points and twisting them to answer the question.

coroneos

I reckon it is an excellent response, except greater integration between concepts can be improved.

Good luck + wish me luck :)

numg

HSC
i've given up on intergration. it makes me miss stuff so i try to structure it and hope the markers think i did it on purpose.

yeah thanks, good luck! and Saves too! and everyone else, just not toooo much luck though :)

timmii

sporadic attendee
For the stats...the markers won't really know the numbers, just the general idea. If its a choice between writing somethng down, and not writing something down coz u can't remember the exact statistic - Make it up! ;) :p :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)