• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Main focus for the imaginitive journey? (1 Viewer)

tylercal

HSC
In my English, I'm struggling with the Imaginary Journey extended response section. I can get band 6 answers easily for all the other parts with no problem. One time I even spent an hour reading a speech for the first time the night before for an essay on 2 speeches and still got a band 6 because I know what I'm supposed to be arguing to the examiner.

I simply don't know where to take my essay, in terms of a focus. For the other sections, I always had a central goal to concentrate on ie what my thesis and arguments should be talking about - with my central goal, I just write, and the analysis and evaluation comes out naturally to support my arguments.

For In the Wild it was focusing on the contexts of the texts and how that relates to their depiction of nature.
For Telling the Truth it's how does the purpose of the composer influence the way the text is created and the implications that has for objective "truth"
For Speeches, it was how does the values and context of the speech influence how they were received in different contexts.

I can make a thesis, and do the evaluation and analysis on them, but it lacks the strong sense of purpose that my other essays do, trapping my answers in band 5.

Do you have any suggestions? Has anyone found themself in a similar situation before? What central idea do you find it helpful to keep in mind?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)