mail service during ww1 (1 Viewer)

bleedandheal

HSC
hey guys
i'm doing a speech about the role of women during ww1 anyway i made a reference to 2 sources in my speech. now i have to talk about my sources in more detail. one of my sources is of a women driver on a horse-drawn carriage. In my speech i wrote that women helped out with transport and helped out with the economy blah blah blah but i have no information about the mail serive in britain during the time
my question is does anyone know about the importance of mail at the time?
p.s sorry for sounding annoying.

btw heres the picture

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I've never studied the mail service in detail, but I'll have a go at helping anyway.

First up, I'd discuss females taking on traditionally male-dominated jobs, as well as the actual mail service. Censorship was also a major issue during World War One. There are plenty of notes out there on that, as it is a central topic within Total War. The mail service was important for a few reasons, basically:

- communication between soldiers and their homes
- communication between countries (allies and enemies)
- communication within intelligence agencies and within the government
- communication between officers on the western front and the government

It's also important to note the signage 'Royal Mail' on the side of the carriage, as the British mail service was different to the German and French.

Other than that, have a look in some reference books (there won't be much in your textbooks) and on some reliable websites and you might find some good information.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)