Magnetism (1 Viewer)

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
Just as a matter of interest.
This is nothing related to any of the dot points but I have always wondered why with magnetism out of all the metals it is only Nickel, Iron and Cobalt are the only metals can become magnetic. If anyone out there happens to be in possession of this irrelevant piece of information I would be grateful if share your wisdom.
I’ve asked my teaches and none of them have been able to tell me. I’ve had a few unsubstantiated thoughts on the problem and also observed that these metals are all next to each other in the periodic table. Like each of them are transition elements, so I thought it might have something to do with the sub-shell electron orbit.
Thanks

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Lockhart said:
Just as a matter of interest.
This is nothing related to any of the dot points but I have always wondered why with magnetism out of all the metals it is only Nickel, Iron and Cobalt are the only metals can become magnetic. If anyone out there happens to be in possession of this irrelevant piece of information I would be grateful if share your wisdom.
I’ve asked my teaches and none of them have been able to tell me. I’ve had a few unsubstantiated thoughts on the problem and also observed that these metals are all next to each other in the periodic table. Like each of them are transition elements, so I thought it might have something to do with the sub-shell electron orbit.
Thanks
You heard of Lanthanides, where each metal in that group are almost identical to each other along the row ?
Gadolnium, Terbium, Dysprosium, Holmium and Erbium are ferromagnetic, they are magnets as well ..

They have the same density as the common ferromagnetical elements Nickel, Iron and Cobalt.
All of the ferromagnetical elements have a denisty of around 7.8g/cm3 to 9g/cm3 and have melting points of around 3000K (about 27000C) and boiling points around 1000K (above 9000C)

Enjoy, k ?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)