Madness (1 Viewer)

Does Lear realise by the end of the play that he is responsible for this mess?

• yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ferko_67

Help, I have a few ideas on madness though I'm wondering what other people think.

King Lear is brought to his demise through his fatal floor (ie Greek Tragedy)
Thus he descends into madness and there are many quotes that relate to this.
Also in most productions we see the demise of King Lear through costume desintegrating on stage. Ie the Harlos production, where his Kimono is turned inside out to demonstrate this. Also his shirt is untucked, he looks tired and his tone of voice changes.

What are some other examples of madness and would most people approach madness in an essay?

Do people think that he comes to the realisation that he is the cause of this and that he is not a "Man more sinned against than sinning"?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i think that he realises that he has been sinned against by gonerill and regan. he does acknowledge that he has wronged cordelia though towards the end.

for your sisters
have as i do remember done me wrong.
you have cause they have not.

i therefore believe that lear feels he has been more sinned against than sinning in terms of gonerill and regan. he doesnt take into account how he has poorly raised them, yet he does come to realise how human needs encompass more than just material possessions in the storm scene.

O reason not the need
Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous

He may possibly have noticed that his daughters needed more than material things. but the other quote suggests that he feels their actions were worse than his.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)