Macquarie University Merit Scholar Scholarship (1 Viewer)

omniscience

HSC
N/A
Hello, I am a Year 12 student who is interested in this scholarship provided by the Macquarie University.

I have recently visited the website and downloaded the application form from there. This is the application form:
http://www.reg.mq.edu.au/undergrad/current/scholarship/docs/ApplicationForm%20_Merit.pdf

This application form seems to ask for several qualities that I possess as a student at my school and as a responsible citizen in the community. Here, they ask the applicants about their positions of a leadership but unfortunately, I do not hold any leadership position except the fact that I was a peer-support leader and in the application form, I was supposed to hand in some documents to verify the fact that I was a peer-support leader but I don't have any...

I am frustrated because I cannot provide some documents to verify that I did this or that. And I lack some other qualities...
Do you think it is CRUCIAL to provide all the documents needed? Would it be alright to mention that it is difficult to verify some achievements that I have accomplished?

HOWEVER, I do have a really great academic report and academic result. I received 96 in Modern History in 2007 as an accelerated course and I am undetaking the Distinction Course. In my Trial and Year reports, I was ranked first in all subjects except Mathematics Extension 1.

I just want to know how important it is to have all those qualities that the application form asks apart from academic quality....

Words of advice from the students with experience in this will be of a great help, thanks.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No offence, but sometimes reading the stuff right at the top of the application form helps:

All domestic students with a UAI of 98.5 or above (from 2008 secondary studies only) will be Macquarie Merit Scholars. As Merit Scholars you will be given priority access to a range of opportunities, such as advanced programs, internships and international studies, specific to each program subject to your academic performance.
This part:

Attach a personal statement (not more than two A4 pages) about yourself, enhancing your eligibility based on the criteria. As a guide, you might focus on the following:
• Academic achievements, e.g. prizes, competitions, favourite subjects, clubs.
• Positions of leadership, e.g. prefect, captain, youth team leader, club president.
• Communication skills, e.g. debating, writing, participation in clubs and school activities.
• Sporting participation and achievements.
• Other activities such as work experience, study tours, extra-curricular activities, community involvement.
• Future plans, the type of career you have in mind, and how your chosen University course will help you achieve this.
• Capacity to triumph over hardship, including financial disadvantage, sole parent or carer responsibilities, non-English speaking or Indigenous background, effects of trauma and/or abuse, long term medical condition/disability, coming from a rural or remote area.
• Each point should be accompanied by supporting documentation – photocopies are acceptable.
looks to see if you have additional qualities that may help in nudging you into a scholarship if you do receive less than the 98 odd UAI they have. Seeing as they have quite an extensive list of character evaluation slots, then I'd say its on equal importance as the other things there.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
No offence, but sometimes reading the stuff right at the top of the application form helps:

This part:

looks to see if you have additional qualities that may help in nudging you into a scholarship if you do receive less than the 98 odd UAI they have. Seeing as they have quite an extensive list of character evaluation slots, then I'd say its on equal importance as the other things there.
I am quite confident that I would receive higher than 98.5 UAI. I have written my post considering that assumption. So academic achievements would be overlooked if you have average personal characteristics?

Then, what about the documentation issue? Thanks by the way.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
All domestic students with a UAI of 98.5 or above (from 2008 secondary studies only) will be Macquarie Merit Scholars
you said:
I am quite confident that I would receive higher than 98.5 UAI.
me said:
if you have additional qualities that may help in nudging you into a scholarship if you do receive less than the 98 odd UAI they have.

?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am interested in this too. So, if you get 98.5+ UAI, you get this scholarship? Wow.

EDIT: Just realised that this is not the case. You become Macquarie University Merit Scholar but you don't necessarily get the scholarship.

Last edited:

lorikeet

New Year's Eve
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am interested in this too. So, if you get 98.5+ UAI, you get this scholarship? Wow.

EDIT: Just realised that this is not the case. You become Macquarie University Merit Scholar but you don't necessarily get the scholarship.
*claps*

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So did anyone get this scholarship from BoS?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:

*sigh*

Maybe its just me, but ok:

You get 98.5, you're a Merit Scholar.

You submit that form in, and seeing as there are 7 odd character 'evaluation' areas, then it would be logical to assume that you would have to be a fairly well-rounded character to get one of these.

You're competing with people who ALSO got 98.5+. Academic achievement would seem to be something you would all have, therefore it would be nice to have those additional factors which make you more desirable as a student/scholarshipee.

*goes back to his cave*

omniscience

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
*sigh*

Maybe its just me, but ok:

You get 98.5, you're a Merit Scholar.

You submit that form in, and seeing as there are 7 odd character 'evaluation' areas, then it would be logical to assume that you would have to be a fairly well-rounded character to get one of these.

You're competing with people who ALSO got 98.5+. Academic achievement would seem to be something you would all have, therefore it would be nice to have those additional factors which make you more desirable as a student/scholarshipee.

*goes back to his cave*
Thanks for the reply. But coming back to my original question: would it be logical to write that I did this and that without submitting an actual documentation that says that I did?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I would include it, but also with an explanation as to why documentation cannot be provided. This negates the questions about 'fudging' your expertise and experiences.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
I would include it, but also with an explanation as to why documentation cannot be provided. This negates the questions about 'fudging' your expertise and experiences.
Thanks!!! I really appreciate it.

atreus

HSC
when did they up it to $12000 p.a.? or is this only a new scholarship?

as for the documentation question, why dont you just get a letter from the peers support teacher saying you participated in it, all the activities you showed leadership in, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)