Macquarie university good and negativess. (1 Viewer)

*Baby-K*

HSC
I am hoping to go to MQ and I cannot wait to get the offer despite all the negatives. I think the marking system will frustrate me but just make me work harder too

dolbinau

HSC
Was this poster correct?

http://community.boredofstudies.org/4062782/post-7.html

I mean, I thought every Uni only allocated a certain number of Ds and HDs so what is the difference though?

And does this apply to every subjects in the uni? I mean, this is concerning because I did want to attain at least credit average in Psych :p.

peter2

Banned
HSC
No not every uni does this. To my knowledge only MAC and ANU. I will give you another example and please be honest and tell me whether this is fair or not.

Lets say in a subject, there are 300 students enrolled. After the final examination, everyone walked out thinking "that was sooo easy etc etc" thinking they raped the exam and subject. Lets say then that the top 20% received 95/100 + and the next 10 Received 90% but less than 95%. In uni, a HD and D is awarded for a score of 85 or 75 or more respectively for a unit. So technically these 30% students should all of obtained a HD.

HOWEVER, what this stupid university then does is they rank the students so the top 3-5% only receive a HD, the next best 10-15% receive a Distinction and the rest receive a credit or lower. This is what this Uni does. So how the fuckkk is this fair when you theoretically kill a subject but you only receive a credit because every student is ranked.

Also, How is this fair when unis such as UWS, UTS, USYD hand out HDs and D without no rankings and set quotas on HD's and D's??? Marks and very important in terms of finding employment once you graduate hence, this really pisses me off that if I was in any other uni other than ANU, I would receive a D whereas in this uni I only received a credit because of this scaling and ranking crap.

Last edited:

peter2

Banned
HSC
Also, to prove my honesty, I post you all this from the University website and its reference. Enjoy!!!!

The University requires Departments to grade students according to a pre-determined distribution. Assessment material should be constructed to discriminate between achievement levels such as a Pass grade and a Fail grade. Sometimes an entire unit’s results must be scaled up or down to fit the pre-determined distribution. Compulsory units are often scaled up at the end:
reference to website: Macquarie Law, Appeals

Primary Guideline: Recommended Percentage Distribution of Grades
Percentage of all grades
HD D Cr
100-level 3±2 11 ± 4 23 ± 5
200-level 3±2 12 ± 4 25 ± 5
300-level 4±2 14 ± 4 28 ± 5
400- and 500-level 5±2 20 ± 4 40 ± 5
800-level and above 8±5 20 ± 10 45 ± 15
Table 1: Standard distribution of grades with standard errors
reference: SEE PAGE 3!!!! for this
senate.mq.edu.au/rules/detailedguidelines.doc

Here is all the proof!!! So noone try to protect and stick up for the university and post stupid counter arguments.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

anyways just picture Mac as the HSC again in terms of competing with each other and not just competing with yourself.
See I'd disagree with that attitude.

In the humanities and social sciences, I think that markers are more inclined to give you what you deserve. Then again, I'm usually in smaller (<100) subjects - one of my subjects had four students, and I think I had the lowest mark with 88 or something (all the others were in the 90s).

Maybe in Business & Commerce, you need to be thinking more competitively.

yeah i know i've already seen those.. but my question was more on the marking
is it just the business/commerce etc courses which are marked hard or is it generally a university wide thing?
Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to go into uni specifically armed with the mark mentality, especially if you're doing International Studies. If you need numerical based goals, I'd then definitely look at individual assessments (eg 'I'm aiming for at least 15/20 for this tute paper') rather than the final mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
See I'd disagree with that attitude.

In the humanities and social sciences, I think that markers are more inclined to give you what you deserve. Then again, I'm usually in smaller (<100) subjects - one of my subjects had four students, and I think I had the lowest mark with 88 or something (all the others were in the 90s).

Maybe in Business & Commerce, you need to be thinking more competitively.

Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to go into uni specifically armed with the mark mentality, especially if you're doing International Studies. If you need numerical based goals, I'd then definitely look at individual assessments (eg 'I'm aiming for at least 15/20 for this tute paper') rather than the final mark.
ah i see
nah i'm not fussed about the marks, especially without even starting uni, but it is interesting to find out how they do grade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)