Macquarie uni the best for actuarial studies? (1 Viewer)

chriss95

HSC
My two top preferences are:
- Bachelor of actuarial studies/applied finance at macquarie uni
- Bachelor of commerce - double major in actuarial studies and finance at unsw

Have heard that macquarie uni is the best for actuarial studies, and I think the double degree would be better than the double major. Sydney unfortunately do not offer actuarial studies even as a major, so that's a no go. Is the double degree at macquarie the wiser choice?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard that Macquarie's actuarial studies is really good and one of the best.

Also I don't think you can do actuarial major under the commerce program at UNSW anymore. They started a new degree called B Actuarial Studies.

chriss95

HSC
So there is no way to do actuarial studies and finance at unsw?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
You can do Finance under the Commerce degree. There is a Bachelor of Actuarial Studies. I am not too sure if you can do both Actuarial Studies and Finance under one degree. It might be best to give ASB a call on Monday and ask.

EDIT.

You can do a finance major under the actuarial studies program.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3586.html

The core courses in Actuarial Studies (84 UOC) plus a major of at least 48 UOC from an approved disciplinary stream within the Australian School of Business (of which 6 UOC may come from the core courses), 12 UOC from General Education options and 6 UOC of Free Elective.

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Choose the closer uni, UNSW will have bachelor of actuarial studies in 2013, so you can double up with finance.
Also if you are not really sure about is actuarial studies suitable for you, then go UNSW because internal transfer to other degrees UNSW is probably better.
Unless you really wanna do actuarial studies, then go to Macquarie :p
Actuarial studies is really different to high school maths though.

HSC
unsw pinched a lot of mcq lecs so idk how the current mcq/unsw programs compare

mcq is only considered the best because they are the oldest in act.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Also if you are not really sure about is actuarial studies suitable for you, then go UNSW because internal transfer to other degrees UNSW is probably better.

What?

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
There are a lot of people don't like the actuarial studies program after they start doing it (or not capable), many of them in Macquarie transferred to just Bachelor of Applied finance in mq. Transferring from Actuarial studies to other degrees in UNSW "probably" better than transferring in Mq is purely base on my opinion anyway, like many people suggest that UNSW have a better general reputation.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Transferring from Actuarial studies to other degrees in UNSW "probably" better than transferring in Mq is purely base on my opinion anyway
lol, seriously? Internal transfer at both universities is fairly straightforward, this sort of 'advice' is not helpful.

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
lol, seriously? Internal transfer at both universities is fairly straightforward, this sort of 'advice' is not helpful.
I mean doing B Commerce in UNSW is better than B Commerce in Mq (After you transfer)
Maybe i should've use transferED instead of transferrING if this cause confusion o_O (my english sucks :D)

Last edited:

chriss95

HSC
ive decided to go with the double degree at macquarie. firstly, macquarie is easier to get to. secondly, i definitely want to do actuarial studies. thirdly, i think the double degree with finance is better than just that major in finance.

zhiying

HSC
They are pretty much the same thing geez, only your 1st reason makes any sense...the 2nd isn't even a reason O_O

Which ever one you go to, you'll do the final exemptions on your own anyway
Btw I go UNSW, not that I think the programs any better, just don't like UMAQ, travel time is about the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)