Macquarie Law student - fielding questions.. (1 Viewer)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I'm a 3rd year law student at Club Mac, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have regarding Law @ Macquarie or Macquarie University in general.

Cheers.

nicole

Thats really nice of you to offer! I'm struggling a bit with my uni preferences. I really like the idea of going to Macquarie because its pretty close to home and the atmosphere there seems really good. I'd like to do law, i loved legal studies at school but i dont think my uai will be high enough (94.25). Anyway what do you think about doing law at mac? Do you reccomend it? Is it a good uni?

HSC
well done nicole ;)
same wif nicole's questions... wots the good n bad stuff bout it??

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is somewhat biased (i'll try to be balanced), but this is how I see it.

Macquarie's atmosphere can't be beat. That's all that needs to be said on that.

Nice, large, picturesque campus. Compare for yourself on Advising Day on the 5th with the other campuses. Some weird art sculptures around...

Cool uni bar (though i gotta admit the the UNSW Roundhouse is better, but beats the rest out of the water).

Umm lots of hot ladies around (been told by the girls that the guys here are pretty good too). Mac always had the rep for this. The people here are all pretty cool. No snobishness here...no one gives a feck where you're from, or what school u went. Old cliques dissappear fast.

Bus ride to the City, and you can walk to The Ranch & Macquarie Centre. Being a local Nicole you should know all about it. I'm getting a bit sick of the place (I went to high school nearby as well), but it is better than MOST shopping centres.

Parking. I don't drive to uni myself...but for those who do, they can't imagine uni without it. Lots of car parks (the land of trees, car parks and hotties).

Downer: You'll have a greater variety of eateries if @ UTS...due to its location. And if I was at USYD, I'd be able to hang out at Newtown more (gotta luv that place!)

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
++++: Because it's one campus, it's easy to catch up with everyone. We've mastered the art of enjoying the sun on the lawn.

- - - - : Some buses don't run enough for some people's liking (like the private buses). But there's plenty to Epping Station, Parra (via Eastwood), City, Chatswood. And ofcourse, you can always drive.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
++++/ - - - - ?:

Something that no one at advising day will tell you: the uni, traditionally has a liberal bent (notice small 'l'). Been described as 'Australia's most radical and unconventional university'. I've had a lecturer who talks about their sex life, another on her favourite drugs during class, psych lecturer who sings to the class (through specially written songs relating to the material), lecturer who talks about the lesbian couple that moved upstairs from him during the lecture, with ample uses of the 'f*ck' and 'sh*t' every week (this was first year business!) and I've heard about classes being held in the bar.

This is of course some of the random and extreme examples (most lecturers are great, sometimes funny, often quirky...but relatively conventional...which is a shame to me).

The uni has special weeks like enviromental week and sexuality week, and you can pick up a good supply of free contraceptives during O-Week! We have a Queer space (Justice Kirby was gonna come to our uni to shit stir when he heard they were gonna close it - it's still open).

Don't get me wrong, there's a Liberal Party stand during O-week, and I'm sure there are a few right-wingers around. But you'll probably find more at other unis...just an educated guess.

So yeah, definately not a stuffy place. Just a lot of fun.

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Umm law. I've talked about this towards the end of one of the law threads in the general section.

One negative is that there is a really incompetent constitutional law (3rd year subject) lecturer who is an alcoholic...but the uni is working at getting rid of him (gotta cover their arses for unfair dismissal).

We have some really 'out there' law staff members. I can guarantee the education will be different here than other lawschools.

What else, we have less core units than other unis. Macquarie gives u the all the required knowledge set out by the Law society, but we keep the core units to a minimum. For e.g. you do one subject on contract law while you do 2 at most other unis. Instead you get lots of electives. Everything from the hate speech law to securities law...big list of electives.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Transfer policy into the combined B of Arts - Psy/B of Law course

Is it possible to go from BoA-psy then transfer into the combined degree ?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
The short answer is yes.

There is a quota and there is no guarantee...but if you got good uni marks and a highish UAI then you have a very very good chance.

That's how I got into law....i started off doing business admin/ba-psych.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ahh ok

thanks mate

i got 86.10 :| pushing it but cool

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
yeah...you'll need marks so high you get nose bleeds!

Nah j/k, you'll need really good marks...but achievable. Only trick to follow is too keep up to date every week, and use your mid semester break to catch up/revise.

HSC
ummmmmmmmm if i do arts can i do law,commerce n psych subjects????
coz i looked into mq handbook it looks dat way... but i wanna make sure?????????????

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by GoodToGo
yeah...you'll need marks so high you get nose bleeds!

Nah j/k, you'll need really good marks...but achievable. Only trick to follow is too keep up to date every week, and use your mid semester break to catch up/revise.

hehe nah its no problem, at least i only have one thing to do and i dont hate it *darn maths*

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zaijan_85
ummmmmmmmm if i do arts can i do law,commerce n psych subjects????
coz i looked into mq handbook it looks dat way... but i wanna make sure?????????????
Ofcourse you CAN'T.

You can do some core units for the Commerce degree in your Arts degree however. You can do Psych if you are actually in BA-Psych, not just the BA. Can't touch law till you get a transfer.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
whats the employment rate, graduate outcome and the pay *straight from uni

lol sorry a bit direct

qkrtjdxo

HSC
Good Uni Guide 2004:

Employment Rate: 92%
Starting Salary: $37819

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
That's not too bad an average starting salary.

The top law firm in Australia pays $55 000 a year to grads.

And just for interest, the top firms in America pay US $125 000 to law grads.

Last edited:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
im only in year 12 this yr but ive been to macquarie a few times for different things and that should be where most of my top preferences go
its so close to me (25 min bus trip) and the only uni that offers croatian
im hoping to do Bachelor Of Arts in Psychology with a Diploma in Education *excited* it should motivate me through the hsc to get the uai for it
*hopes it doesnt go up..*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
That's reasonable, I guess for those in Au; but in the States they sue any and everything. :p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
But in the States they sue any and everything. :p

That's true. But really, it's cos New York is the financial capital of the world. And all big businesses need lawyers.

Most laypeople aren't aware that most of the legal work is not done in the courtroom. A lot of lawyers will be doing transactional work. Big law firms firms put together multi-billion dollar business deals that span continents, huge mergers and takeovers, deregulation of industries, etc. They're not all suing McDonalds or defending crims (very few will).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)