Macquarie Bank employees (1 Viewer)

pungpui

HSC
Hey there,

Just wanted to know if there are any Macquarie Bank employees out there? From any Macquarie Bank Group company. I'm at FSG, scored the job a week after my first week at uni last year. Any one else there?

ND

HSC
The fact that it's not as big as the other banks does not necessarily imply that the pay is any less. (though it probably is less cos bankers get payed a little more in the US)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Yeah Mac Bank has a really tough selection process for a comparatively small IB.

pungpui

HSC
WTF?? I asked if there was anyone else working there on this forum, not your opinion on the bank!

And the fact that Macquarie is relatively small on the world scale, while also being Australia's largest investment bank demonstrates something on Australia. Did you expect it to be in the top 10 in the world??

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
To answer your question, I do not work at Macq Bank.

Now for my question. Are you saying you found the job in your first year at university? Or do you mean any other year when you say 'the week after the first week in uni last year'?

Now I'll add my opinion on what people have said.

No doubt the size of Macq Bank does say a lot about Australia on a global scale. However, there are Australian companies that have substantial international standing overseas, e.g. BHP.

No doubt Macq Bank doesn't have too much of a name overseas when compared to UBS or Citigroup.

The other day I was having dinner with a banker based in London from Merrill Lynch. He's heard of Macquarie Bank. However, the way he asked me about it suggeted he wasn't too sure about its status in Australia.

Coming from a banker, it makes you wonder about Macq Bank's reputation in London. I didn't ask him whether he only found out about it recently because of the LSE bid. I'm sure he's not THAT uninformed.

But then again, I'm not too surprised about his questions. Merrill has a very small operation in Australia so they probably don't care too much about what goes on here.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Most decent IBs have international offices. That doesn't make it big.

ND

HSC
I know. I was saying that that's probably the reason that Omnidragon's mate from London knows about mac.

pungpui

HSC
Well considering that I did my HSC in 2004 (as said in the profile), then yes, last year was my first year at uni, so yes I got the job in first year uni.

When people are looking at the world scale, look at those investment banks within Australia. Goldman Sachs JBW, JP Morgan, even Deutsche are relatively small. I guess that also reflects on Australia's 'mini' size as well. I'm sure the Packers arent anywhere near among the richest people in the world.

And btw, again im not sure why a topic named 'Macquarie Bank employees' is getting replies where people are trying to analyse Mac's size in comparison to the world.

¬_¬

HSC
pungpui said:
Well considering that I did my HSC in 2004 (as said in the profile), then yes, last year was my first year at uni, so yes I got the job in first year uni.

When people are looking at the world scale, look at those investment banks within Australia. Goldman Sachs JBW, JP Morgan, even Deutsche are relatively small. I guess that also reflects on Australia's 'mini' size as well. I'm sure the Packers arent anywhere near among the richest people in the world.

And btw, again im not sure why a topic named 'Macquarie Bank employees' is getting replies where people are trying to analyse Mac's size in comparison to the world.
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting into Mac Bank- definitely notorious for having some of the hardest entry requirements and better salary packages (for grads), and whilst it's true that it's a relatively small player compared to the rest of the IBs out there, getting into MB is still quite an achievement; especially when you consider you're still pretty fresh out of high school.

Anyhow, I'm not an employee of MB, nor am I interested in working there (in the foreseeable future), but based on what I've seen both here (on BoS) and with my peers, many people aspire to work there one day. Don't let these other people's comments affect you- I'm sure things would be different had they been offered a job at MB. Your signature probably has an element of truth to it.

I don't think there are many official employees at MB- there might be some interns though; try looking at the Internship thread- or just using the search function.

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
pungpui said:

Hey

Can u tell me how long Macq took for you from your psychometric test to your offer ??

I did their psychometric test on the 13th of Dec, and still waiting to hear from them...i can't get my results till the finalise the selection process...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Hey Grizzly. What did you apply for? I thought recruitment began early this yr?

Last edited:
A

adamsaclown

pungpui said:
wow well done, how did you do that? how did you apply?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
§eraphim said:
Hey Grizzly. What did you apply for? I thought recruitment began early this yr?
Graduate position in the Corp. Affairs Group.
Had to reassure them that my final year wont interfere with work.

No, i think that macq takes grads at any time of the year.
But will see how it turns out.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
tacky said:
MB = Slave factory. Globally, a tiny fish in investment circles and virtually unknown on Wall St. To give an indication of where MB lies in relation to the big wall st investment banks (by market capitalisation as per Business Week Global 1200, Dec-05):

1. Citigroup (US$245.61 billion)
2. Bank of America (US$184.16 billion)
3. HSBC (US$179.05 billion)
4. JP Morgan Chase (US$134.01 billion)
5. Wells Fargo (US$105.54 billion)
6. UBS (US$94.47 billion)
etc. etc. etc.......

560. Macquarie Bank (US$11.2 billion)
thats a bit outdated HSBC is globally the 2nd biggest bank now

Last edited by a moderator:

pungpui

HSC
Grizzly said:
No, i think that macq takes grads at any time of the year.
But will see how it turns out.
I think different groups will offer their internships at different times of the year, probably so the undergrad/HR officer doesnt get crammed up for a quarter of the year and then have nearly nothing to do for the rest of it!

In regards to the psycho test, I really cant remember. Sorry!

In terms of recruitment after uni (which is what I'm looking for), Macq bank is far better to work for now than other international IB's at a domestic level. Since they're based here, theres a much broader range to choose from/go for. If eg I tried for GSJBW, I'd probably have to move to Melbourne, and their careers selection is far more limited than what Macquarie can offer. Perhaps in the future when I've got a good job, then move to an international IB where I have the experience to be able to move internationally.

Those trying to look for jobs at international IB's right now for a chance to transfer internationally right after uni are a little confident, arent they!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i know a friend whom works at JP Morgan at Grosvenor Place... MacBank is rated better in terms of work ethics, the level of service in Australia is also better. Most global IB don't play much role in Australia.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hey pungpui....how did you manage to land the job at Macq last year, and how do you work it around uni? Or is it only a summer-time program?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Caution: It's important to get into the right division as well as the right company.

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:
Caution: It's important to get into the right division as well as the right company.
Is it that hard to transfer between different front office positions? (obviously given you produce good results)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)