macfarlane burnet (1 Viewer)

luckyduck

heys ppls!

if anyone uses the heinemann textbook they have a whole page about that dude macfarlane burnet, but it isn't in the syballus?? so do we have to know about them? :cool:

luckyduck

oh yeh and another question the text book also has a 7.8 part but that isnt in the syballus either? so we dont need to know it?

= Jennifer =

HSC
i dont know for sure, but i was going through my class notes and we hadnt done anything on them although the syllabus on page 49 just uses them has a heading and nothing in students, and students learn to columns...

nesstar

I doubt that anyone would ask about Macfarlane Burnet...there are no points in "students" or "students learn to" columns, however the introduction to dot point 5 introduces his work. Our teacher just got us to jot down a couple of points about his work. Basically he was an aussie scientist and he realised that the basis of the immune system was its ability to distinguish between self and non-self. He proposed the "clonal selection theory" about lymphocytes. And he won a Nobel prize.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
luckyduck said:
heys ppls!

if anyone uses the heinemann textbook they have a whole page about that dude macfarlane burnet, but it isn't in the syballus?? so do we have to know about them? :cool:
If it's not in the syllabus then you're not expected to know it.

I was told last year that Macfarlane Burnet was just a nice, Australian introduction to the topic, but we didn't need to know it.

HSC_2004_Well??

It has been asked

This is a multiple choice question from the 2003 HSC

2. What was MacFarlane Burnette's major contibution to science
A) Better understanding of the immune response
B) Identification of complementary bases in DNA
C) Proposal of the one gene-one protein hypothesis
D) Identification of the importance of chromosomes

The answer is A

S

Shuter

It got asked in our trials (a short answer even worth about 3 marks), on him. And our trial was set by an experianced teacher.

malkin86

HSC
Yes, we do have to know about him. Not that much, just a little. You can't use him for your Australian scientist, as he has passed away.

S

Shuter

Tommy_Lamp said:
Shuter: Thats ridiculous. The most you'll get asked on him in the HSC is a MC question.
Yeah well I got 0 for it because I had no idea and wrote about Koch's postulate. I would complain but it doesn't matter because I came top of assessments anyway.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
malkin86 said:
Yes, we do have to know about him. Not that much, just a little. You can't use him for your Australian scientist, as he has passed away.
Hrm, I saw a question asked on that in a past trial I think. I went through the entire syllabus though, and made notes on it, and I saw nothing like that.

I assumed it was because the syllabus was restructured in 2002 and alot of dot points were removed.

Can you specify where the dot point is?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
It's not really specified in a d/p per se, but the 5th heading under Search for Better Health is about Macfarlane Burnet...

as malkin86 says, just know a little bit about his work with immunisation

malkin86

HSC
From 9.1, we need to know about the current work of two living Australian scientists.. one male, one female. For last minute scientists, go to the science department of any university and take a look.

nik_noodle

HSC
I've just been going through 'Heinemann' as well...i dont know..its really really good in some sections, but ive found its over emphasied some sections and severely lacked detail in others... you know, I cant actually think of any BRILLIANT bio textbooks..most subjects theres a standout...'Macquarie''s alright...so's 'Biology in Context' but none are brilliant..bugger it :(
Our teacher agrees that the most you'd be asked about McFarlane Burnett would be a MC or something. I recall we had this debate in class about a week before the trials :p

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
nowhere specifies about it but if you get a question, since it covers part 5 in the syllabus indirectly, you can blabber on over tese dot points and say how he has contibuted by finding out about antibodies and lymphocytes and the immune response bla bla bla bla

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)