Macbook Pro? (1 Viewer)

wce06

HSC
Just wondering if anyone here has a new Macbook Pro, and especially if they got it to replace an older apple. Currently use G5 iMac and G4 iBook, and want to know just what the intel macs are like...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Alternatively you could run bootcamp, and just load it through XP

wce06

HSC
wikiwiki said:
Yes, I have both a 17" MacBook Pro AND a new 20" iMac.

They are superior in every technical way to older Apple hardware. Your only concern should be the status of your applications; do they have universal binaries available?

If you make excessive use of Photoshop then you may need to hold off on purchasing one until it is a universal application (although Rosetta will probably run it better than your G4 iBook).
Cheers. I don't use photoshop, but iMovie extensively. obviously with it being part and parcel with OSX it runs natively on intel, so it and other iLife apps will be significantly quicker. also, the boot up time on my iBook annoys me, also exposé is sometimes a bit jerky if there's 3 or 4 graphic intense apps happening. the only 'but' for me really would be the performance of office...do you know when microsoft will release a universal version? i refuse to run xp (or vista) on a mac, it doesn't do the hardware justice...
I noticed with a friend's Macbook Pro that word wasn't actually that quick, maybe rosetta does take a while...

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I have a Macbook Pro

Works great, I love it (I'd never used a mac before purchase)

HOWEVER, it is first generation technology, and thus prone to little issues here and there. My advice would be to wait a little longer until more issues are sorted out in production.

wce06

HSC
cheers. i think i might get one at the end of this year, or early next year...by which stage there'll be more Universal apps, Leopard might be out, and as you said, Apple would have consolidated their Intel lineup a bit more. Or maybe i should just spend $28k and get fully optioned Mac Pro with two 30" displays...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)