Mac software (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
I thought that seeing as there are a few Mac users amongst us BoSers, we could have a thread for our favourite apps. :)

This is just for personal recommendations - for finding mac apps, try Mac Update, Versiontracker, and FreeMacWare.com.

Graphics
GraphicConverter - the trial version will let you scan stuff, and do small things like leveling the colours/brightness of your images. It's useful. :D
OmniGraffle - A very nice drag-and-drop 'diagramming' application for things like flowcharts. Even the demo version gives a really professional look. (If you're running Tiger, the full version might be packaged with your system already). It's extensible too, with extra freeware image 'stencils'.

Tweaks + Plugins
PDF Browser Plugin - will let you open, save and print PDFs directly from your browser - no need for Adobe! :D

I have a couple more things, but I'd like to hear about your favourite Mac apps too. ;)

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
i love Mail, Safari - it just does what you want it to do without getting in your way.
iTunes sorts all my music for me nicely
iCal sorts my life

umm - i like VLC player - works with Divx and heaps of formats in one application, plus can open ripped DVDs from HD/network.
FCP HD5 edits all my movies for me with ease
iChat is pretty cool, if only for the animations when people sign on and off
GarageBand is so much fun with MIDI keyboards etc
Skype - i enjoy skype - internet phone thingy (like gismo?)

various music apps etc - try www.apple.com/macosx
and go to the downloads page

malkin86

HSC
Ah, how could have I forgotten VLC? Great little multimedia app. :)

MacJanitor is a good little utility for admins on a lappy or computer that gets turned off every so often - there are maintenance tasks that are scheduled to run in the wee hours of the morning. MacJanitor allows you to run them when you remember to, and so there's more likelihood that they'll get done. ;)

Callistogenic

HSC
Finally. A place where all Mac users can come and donate their URLs so that we can gradually take over the world with our super-cool hardware/software solutions! Bwahahaha. :p

Adium - Nice piece of multi-intergrated IM software. Updates are posted very frequently.

Quicksilver - This application is truly incredible. You'll just have to download it yourself to realise how much power it gives you. Simple tasks became even simpler.

equiski

HSC
I've posted this once before, but it bares saying again.

http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

Tonnes of classic Mac Freeware, Shareware and Abandonware.

Now if only I can find a way of installing these programs on my Performa 580CD.

malkin86

HSC
OMG.. It has Bug Hunt!!! :D I *loved* that game when I was little!!! Thankyou Equiski! :)

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
thanx equiski!
all those fun games! more time wasters ! yaya!

i just started using iPhoto today - i don't know if i will like it or not - i put all my pics in it and set it up to autoload when i connect a camera

any of you people use/like it
i am on iPhoto5

Callistogenic

HSC
Thanks equiski! Now, if I can just find 'muddy water'
it's a text/picture adventure. Much like Ray Dunakin's works.

equiski

HSC
Callistogenic said:
Anyone remember 'GliderPRO'? Hehe.
OMG YES. I want nothing more than to relive my primary school days playing Glider PRO, Spaceway 2000, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sim City 2000, Spectre Challenge and Maze Wars. *sigh*

HSC
Callistogenic said:
Anyone remember 'GliderPRO'? Hehe.
Omg, that was the best!! :D i also miss Shuttlepuck Café and Scarab of RA. Thanx equiski for the link!

Also, i use iPhoto + iTunes to sort out my photos and music, and theyre great! They also make it really easy to put songs and photos onto my iPod Nano.

Callistogenic

HSC
iPhoto + iTunes are the best ways to manage my media. And the speed at which they perform those tasks is simply incredible. I love how no matter how many photos (I've got 2250 +) you have in the library, iPhoto handles a scroll down through your images without stuttering.

Just one of the pleasures of being a modern Mac user. :rolleyes:

malkin86

HSC
Just a note with iPhoto - I don't recommend that you set it to automatically delete your photos off your camera when you transfer them - stuff can go wrong with that - being joggled, etc. What's really needed is an option to just delete all the photos off your camera, in an out-of-the-way place on the GUI somewhere.

Does anyone know of any stuff out there to customise Safari?

Callistogenic

HSC
'BoS House 'o' 'Orrors' -- Team Glider PRO House

Seeing as I mentioned Glider PRO to all those deprived fans of this wonderful piece of mind/time-wasting piece of software, I was thinking:

How about we create a house for it?

Go search for it in Google, download the classic version (the house creator was never built) and let's hear your ideas.

Callistogenic

HSC
malkin86 said:
Just a note with iPhoto - I don't recommend that you set it to automatically delete your photos off your camera when you transfer them - stuff can go wrong with that - being joggled, etc. What's really needed is an option to just delete all the photos off your camera, in an out-of-the-way place on the GUI somewhere.

Does anyone know of any stuff out there to customise Safari?
Go to http://www.maccast.com and subscribe to the podcast. *nodnod* :)

I think if you look through his shownotes, there's a few programs avaliable for enabling the 'debug' menu in Safari - this allows Safari to appear as other browsers, perfect when you're being devious. :p

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
One thing I'm really envious of is the iLife suite for Macs. Jeez, Apple takes care of you guys well... iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iCalendar... absolutely no Windows equivalent for that package.

I_F

HSC
insert-username said:
One thing I'm really envious of is the iLife suite for Macs. Jeez, Apple takes care of you guys well... iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iCalendar... absolutely no Windows equivalent for that package.

I_F
Haha! Next time your windows computer dies (I dont think you'll have to wait long ;)) buy a Mac, and take advantage of its excellent features!

malkin86

HSC
http://pimpmysafari.com/ has heaps of stuff to make Safari nicer.. a lot of it isn't free, though.

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/download.html will allow you to play any .ogg files that you may have collected with iTunes (not the iPod, though). this one has worked for me, unlike most of the others out there.

Does anyone have any experience with installing the Gimp? I tried downloading Gimp.app from the official site, but it throws up an error message.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Haha! Next time your windows computer dies (I dont think you'll have to wait long ) buy a Mac, and take advantage of its excellent features!
Sorry, I like being able to play games. But if they started making more games compatible with Macs... then I'm straight over. :p

I_F

Callistogenic

HSC
In the 'lets-take-a-PC-centric-feature-and-'Macify'-it-somewhat' category (basically making it system wide, instead of within the confines of MSN on the PC, not to mention super-cool Aqua effects, thanks to CoreImage... *happy sigh*) I recommend Growl:

http://growl.info/

Growl is configurable with Adium, and many others. Just download it and see!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)