Lying about atar to parents? (1 Viewer)

Foxyq

HSC
Do you think I can lie about my atar to my parents? I have done incredibly bad so far and my parents expect above 90 atar for me. I screwed up my half yearlies and topic tests worth all together 50%. I know I will get only around late 70's to early 80's. I am thinking I should tell them that I got 90. My parents will be so devastated if I get anywhere near 70-80. They are asian and are honestly biased and judgemental people, where their whole life revolves around my atar. They grew up differently to me in asia, where getting anywhere below 90 is a shame to the family. They will literally kill me.

Do I seem like a bad person if I lie to them? I already know what course I want to do in uni and a reasonable atar goal for me which i know i'll get which is around 70-80. What i'm scared is do schools usually email your parents your atar or mail your atar to your address?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Lying will prove nothing and so what they cannot kill you... police exist for a reason. Just pick up the phone and dial "000".
Schools do NOT email your parents about your ATAR, but your ATAR will be mailed to your address a day or two later after the official release.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
the best way to deal with this is to be honest. however, i can't press my opinion on you since i had very different parents during the HSC. Lying to them is feasible - schools wont contact you in regards to sharing your atar/hsc results. The Board of Studies and UAC will contact you though to give you your results and if your parents are as bad as you say they will be wanting to look at those papers.
Honesty in my opinion is a better tactic as they will be less 'disappointed' at the end if they know how you've been going all year. You shouldn't have to hide yourself from your parents because you're scared of what they'll think. They might even be supportive and try and help you improve to meet their 'standard'. Just remember that it's only half way through, your half-yearlies don't determine your final result and you can make big improvements (only 50% of your mark is from school remember).
Good luck, I hope your situation works out. Just remember your ATAR doesnt define you, and neither does your parents opinion.

WeaselPowa

HSC
Addressing the question, it's going to be extremely hard to hide your ATAR from your parents. They would want to see evidence and even if they don't, you would need to act it out perfectly and flawlessly to avoid them questioning.

Question aside, if you really want to hide your ATAR that much, do that, obtain a good career and just be happy. Maybe then when you reveal the truth they will be fine with it.

omgiloverice

HSC
Don't even bother lying to your parents, unless they are really uninformed, then they'll probably really suspicious about it. Also if you didn't manage to get into the course you wanted than your parents will definitely found out, and that will jeopardize their trust with you.
My advice, just study harder and efficiently and your parents will definitely take notice, and probably be a bit more lenient on you.
Second advice, lying to your parents will have a lot more impact than you think

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
I know people that have lied to their parents about their ATAR.

They all said they did worse than what they had actually done though.

Okashi

HSC
Don't give up . Study hard and try to maximise your marks in trials and HSC exams and you might come back. I think your topic tests and half yearlies are worth 50 percent of school assessment. But HSC final mark counts 50% of school total assessment and 50% HSC. Just try your best and achieve 90+ ATAR even if you don't need it - nothing bad about making your parents happy. Wouldn't you feel happy yourself if you get over 90 ATAR?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
From 80 to 90 ATAR is a pretty, ummm, not so huge jump as you would imagine. It's quite possible to jump from 80 ATAR estimate to 90 ATAR estimate.

Secant

HSC
N/A
I really appreciate you for trying to be a gangster!
I never respect my parents because I am bigger than them so all they have to do is give me money and provide shelter and food.
Do what ever you want homie.

~peace out homie~

Okashi

HSC
I really appreciate you for trying to be a gangster!
I never respect my parents because I am bigger than them so all they have to do is give me money and provide shelter and food.
Do what ever you want homie.

~peace out homie~
Not sure if srs...

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah brah do it. I told my rents i got 99.95 and am doing med/law. They don't suspect a thing, I just hang around centrelink all day and come home and pretend to study, it goes well.

Secant

HSC
N/A
yeah brah do it. I told my rents i got 99.95 and am doing med/law. They don't suspect a thing, I just hang around centrelink all day and come home and pretend to study, it goes well.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

~peace out homie~

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
I thought that would be the best idea, because my parents are also extremely judgmental. They honestly expected 99, because they both achieved equivalent to that in their studies. I honestly just wanted them off my back about the ATAR and so I thought lying to them would just put everything at ease.
I ended up getting 94.00, and tbh, I WAS SOOOOOO HAPPY WITH IT like I was so proud of myself because I knew I could never acheive that and out of happiness I told them.
They were so happy as well! They knew how I tried throughout the year and tbh, they forgot what my ATAR was three days later.
Just say it. They can't kill you, they may be dissapointed but they are your parents, they won't hate you forever. Trust me.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Well, you'd think if your Atar was so important to your parents, and through them, to you, you'd actually put in the effort in order to get that 90+ atar.

It's not too late right now, as the HSC progresses, the worth which each exam has increases, so you've got right until the last tests which are, btw 50% of your mark for each subject, to make the change.

If all fails and you end up with an 60,70 or even 80 atar, you can still get into PLENTY of courses in some of Australia's top uni's. You're parents desire for you to get a 90+ atar is probably a result of their experiences in asia leading them to believe that only 90+ atar people are able to get into a good uni, which simply doesn't apply to Australia the "land of opportunity". Just make sure you've applied for some course at Sydney of NSW uni, or wherever you want to go, and you can just tell them "hey, I got __ atar, but who cares because I got into ____ uni anyway".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)