Enteebee said:
Hows bout we fund the arts at the same level as sports? LOLOLOLOL
lol

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Well, you see for my little-big man fantasies, it requires me to have a gun (AKA penis extension device) to allow for BLAH BLAH BLAH industrial military complex. Defence positions are for morons too stupid to do anything else and crippled with the disease known as nationalism. We should still have defence recruitment places but instead of them joining the army we just kill the potential applicants because anyone stupid enough to join any sort of defence force deserves to be executed on site.

IMHO

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Also the only good thing Australian soldiers did was get executed en masse at Gallipoli.

Coincidentally, the best thing Turkish soldiers did was kill Australian soldiers en masse at Gallipoli.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Because we have a massive country with huge amounts of resources which may become invaluable in the next century. IMO our defence budget should be nearly on par with NATO countries. At the moment it's about half of france, germany and italy's and a quarter of the UKs, even though Australia is larger than all of them put together.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Because we have a massive country with huge amounts of resources which may become invaluable in the next century. IMO our defence budget should be nearly on par with NATO countries. At the moment it's about half of france, germany and italy's and a quarter of the UKs, even though Australia is larger than all of them put together.
Tell us more about the Soviets and the Domino Theory Menzies

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Tell us more about how world politics has remained peaceful for more than 25 years, ever.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Riet said:
I imagine if we started pumping our military budget to be on par with france / the uk (making us basically a military state) our neighbours would be far more likely to build up their own militaries.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Tell us more about how world politics has remained peaceful for more than 25 years, ever.
By diplomacy?

Has "word politics" remained peaceful since 1983? Apart from a few minor skirmishes in basically developing countries, yes. No NATO member/ANZUS treaty member has been threatened by any other nation state.

Uk pop: 60 mil
Italy pop: 60 mil
France pop: 65 million
Germany pop: 82 million.

Yes, let's spend more than Germany on military things with a population of one-quarter. That's sustainable.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Soz, I guess proxy wars don't count right?
AH, yes, I remember all those proxy wars that Australia was a member of.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Riet said:
not the UK, I was thinking more the Italy-Germany range. And I don't mean by increasing troop numbers. I mean by refitting the army/airforce and navy with up to date technology and equipment instead of buying 5 F/A-18s and 10 Abrhams tanks or whatever stupidly small amount it is.
But we don't have the people to maintain/service our current levels of equipment tbh if you read the last couple of defense white papers. They desperately need more people to sign up. For the most part, what are some nicer planes going to do? They'll make our regional neighbours (the only people they would be likely to deter/come into conflict with) secure their own expensive aircraft just incase. If some superpower decides it wants to forego the world economy (something that is generally seen as mutually beneficial to all states and thus why I think a world war is extremely unlikely) we're fucked anyway.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
But we don't have the people to maintain/service our current levels of equipment tbh if you read the last couple of defense white papers. They desperately need more people to sign up. For the most part, what are some nicer planes going to do? They'll make our regional neighbours (the only people they would be likely to deter/come into conflict with) secure their own expensive aircraft just incase. If some superpower decides it wants to forego the world economy (something that is generally seen as mutually beneficial to all states and thus why I think a world war is extremely unlikely) we're fucked anyway.
Me want to fly plane.

Make government buy more plane.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yeah I really don't get it... The only argument I see as convincing for Australia's airforce is what I believe the government usually argues:

A) It's enough to deter any possible rogue neighbour from considering attacking us.
B) It's not so much that is gets us into an arms race.
C) Our planes can be used for 'humanitarian' military missions such as perhaps Afghanistan and less controversially the soloman islands. Perhaps not the most effective humantiarian program ever, but I can see justifications along these lines as fairly acceptable.

If we were really worried about some mammoth superpower coming to take us over for our resources surely the best option would be for Australia to start a secret nuclear weapons program LOL.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Yeah I really don't get it... The only argument I see as convincing for Australia's airforce is what I believe the government usually argues:

A) It's enough to deter any possible rogue neighbour from considering attacking us.
B) It's not so much that is gets us into an arms race.
C) Our planes can be used for 'humanitarian' military missions such as perhaps Afghanistan and less controversially the soloman islands. Perhaps not the most effective humantiarian program ever, but I can see justifications along these lines as fairly acceptable.

If we were really worried about some mammoth superpower coming to take us over for our resources surely the best option would be for Australia to start a secret nuclear weapons program LOL.
It's not like they couldn't fly their planes over here first and attack every military base they can find with google maps (obviously, the wouldn't have enough cash to buy their own satellites). So their goes Riet's chance to defend Australia from the EVILZ of country X/Y/Z.

In the, I dunno, completely unlikely scenario that another country attack's Australia.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Oh sick man, attack me because you don't agree. I'm a nationalist hill-billy because I think our 40 year old F-111s should be replaced? Cool story hansel.
jb_nc said:
AH, yes, I remember all those proxy wars that Australia was a member of.
Oh, i dunno, Korea and Vietnam, Borneo in the 60s/

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Oh, i dunno, Korea and Vietnam?
sorry you said in 25 years and I said since 1983. Vietnam and Korea weren't proxy wars for Australia since we actually fought. Glad we had a military to go over and do such valiant things in Vietnam and help the Americans drop napalm on villages full of Vietnamese women and children.

Oh sick man, attack me because you don't agree. I'm a nationalist hill-billy because I think our 40 year old F-111s should be replaced? Cool story hansel
irrational nationalist hill-billy

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Yeh, I guess those vietcong were such funloving guys too.

Every developed country sees the need to fund defence properly but I'm irrational... sick logic there.
The main job of the federal government is to ensure Australia's defence both militarily and through diplomacy.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Yeh, I guess those vietcong were such funloving guys too.
how to do it: defending the vietnam war itt.

next try to defend european colonisation of africa/australia/the americas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)