Lowest fail rate stream of engineering? (1 Viewer)

ffutsdoog

HSC
I'm interested in engineering but I'm a bit worried about the fail rates I hear for especially mechanical engineering.

What is the one with the least fail rate? Is it civil?

Thanks.

Doomah

HSC
engineering in general has high failure rates for the following reasons

1. it has a low ATAR entry score, lots of places but not much demand, therefore alot of less than able students do engineering. really anyone with an ATAR of less than 90 doing engineering is setting themselves up for failure

2. it requires alot of mathematical skills, many studends dont have the require assumed knowledge and end up struggling. (ext1 is minimum, but really ext2 maths is ideal)

3. Yes it is a "hard" course but no harder than law or any of the other sciences. Its just alot of students who are not mathematically inclined take up engineering and fail.

So end of day, if you did ext2 maths, did well and enjoyed it then do engineering, but if you did 2umaths or did ext1 maths but couldnt get over say 45 in ext1, then dont bother, you will struggle to complete it

Last edited:

DJ Uncle

Banned
HSC
lol at choosing a stream of engineering based on failure rate.

1. it has a low ATAR entry score, lots of places but not much demand, therefore alot of less than able students do engineering. really anyone with an ATAR of less than 90 doing engineering is setting themselves up for failure

2. it requires alot of mathematical skills, many studends dont have the require assumed knowledge and end up struggling. (ext1 is minimum, but really ext2 maths is ideal)

3. Yes it is a "hard" course but no harder than law or any of the other sciences. Its just alot of students who are not mathematically inclined take up engineering and fail.

So end of day, if you did ext2 maths, did well and enjoyed it then do engineering, but if you did 2umaths or did ext1 maths but couldnt get over say 45 in ext1, then dont bother, you will struggle to complete it
HSC: 2011

shuttle_bus5

HSC

Shut up.
Your a 2011er. You know nothing of university engineering.
I know many people who have done engineering with only 2 unit maths knowledge and did fine.
Sure ext maths is ideal, but dosn't mean succes or failure

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol at choosing a stream based on fail rate.

witide

HSC
Engineering is only hard if you don't apply yourself, as with any degree. Just do the stream that interests you most and try your best. Most engineering streams are pretty much the same for first year anyway.

I did 3unit maths and failed half of my first year maths at uni. I know guys who did 2unit and got distinction+. And I know a guy doing general maths and seems to be doing fine in engo.

(do I know any girls doing engineering??)

HSC
Engineering is only hard if you don't apply yourself, as with any degree. Just do the stream that interests you most and try your best. Most engineering streams are pretty much the same for first year anyway.

I did 3unit maths and failed half of my first year maths at uni. I know guys who did 2unit and got distinction+. And I know a guy doing general maths and seems to be doing fine in engo.

(do I know any girls doing engineering??)
woah General Maths and engineering

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
your progress is totally dependant on how much effort you put into study and revision.

everything is easy if you put in the effort.

if you fail, that means you havent put in any effort.

simple as that, now go into whatever stream of engineering you want, AND MAKE SURE YOU STUDY =]

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A

shut up moron
engineering is in high demand

Doomah

HSC
shut up moron
engineering is in high demand

lol every uni offers engineering.

ther place avail are 400 at UNSW, 400 at Usyd, 200 at MQ, 300 at UTS, 300 at UWS.

thats well over 1000 graduates each year in engineering. yeah good luck getting a job hahahaha:skip:

most are dropkick with UAI of 80 getting into it

Thecorey0

HSC
your progress is totally dependant on how much effort you put into study and revision.

everything is easy if you put in the effort.

if you fail, that means you havent put in any effort.

simple as that, now go into whatever stream of engineering you want, AND MAKE SURE YOU STUDY =]
How did you handle first year, specifically the math, as I read somewhere that you only did 2u?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
How did you handle first year, specifically the math, as I read somewhere that you only did 2u?
i treated first year uni just as i treated highschool: i barely studied.
But in highschool i still managed to get average/good marks, while in uni i scraped passes, and failed second semester maths, all because im a lazy shit. Need to change my study patters/mindset.

Basically, just make sure you study and you'll do fine.

Last edited:

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol every uni offers engineering.

ther place avail are 400 at UNSW, 400 at Usyd, 200 at MQ, 300 at UTS, 300 at UWS.

thats well over 1000 graduates each year in engineering. yeah good luck getting a job hahahaha:skip:

most are dropkick with UAI of 80 getting into it
no they dont?

1000 graduates a year, more than 1000 retirees each year

lol shit trolling faggot, engineering has one of the highest grad employment figures out of any degree and the highest job demand so suck a cock fagle

Chemistryace

HSC
no they dont?

1000 graduates a year, more than 1000 retirees each year

lol shit trolling faggot, engineering has one of the highest grad employment figures out of any degree and the highest job demand so suck a cock fagle
Completely agree david spade, this 2011 know it all is a cockheaded douche who knows very little about engineering. Engineering is in demand everywhere in the world and is a highly prestigious course without a doubt.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Good grad employment figures maybe, but how about after? Maybe it's just the selection of people I've met but in particular civil engineers seem to have difficulty getting employed on a long-term basis. My brother's maths tutor's 28 y.o. son just lost his job and is sitting at home gaining weight, my dad (admittedly an overseas graduate) couldn't get a job as a civil engineer when we migrated here, two of my brother's classmates' dads are civil engineers who no longer work in the profession due to difficulty finding jobs, and my brother's D&T teacher is a former civil engineer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)