Lower marks then previous years (1 Viewer)

smally69

HSC
Since the reslease of the UAI i have been hearing a lot of people saying things like "the marking was really harsh this year", "there are less people in the 90's for UAI", and "there were hardly any people in band 6 for the harder subjects such as chem and physics because they were marked harder".

What I want to know is, are there any reliable sources to back up these claims or are these simply rumours being told by people who did not achieve the results they were aiming for(which is what they sound like to me).

My understanding of the UAI was that it was a ranking system that gave marks based on how people performed in comparison to the rest of the state meaning that there should not be a lower number of people in the 90's this year last year or in future years to come.

Another thing that I have heard, is that as a result of these things the UAI cutoffs are being lowered in many universities to compensate for the lower results.

Please no more fueling these rumours with unjustified crap just hard evidence please.

smally69

HSC
ok i thought that might be the case but would that change the number of people getting into the 90's?

smally69

HSC
but isn't the UAI just a ranking system so that the Uni's can compare students i didn't think that would change based on whether or not the state did worse then previous years as a whole.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
smally69 said:
but isn't the UAI just a ranking system so that the Uni's can compare students i didn't think that would change based on whether or not the state did worse then previous years as a whole.
oh thought u meant 90's for subject,
but yeah the uai for 90 still changes a bit every year as u can see in the uac reports

sirfeathers

HSC
the number of band 6s could well change every year. but UAI is a percentile, so i don't understand how the no. of people getting 90+ would change dramatically from year to year - sounds like an urban myth to me.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
uai doesn't change drastically, just a bit, and about the lower band 6's, i dont really think thats true, but i think this year, the top schools took more band 6's than usual resulting in more all rounders (i know there were more studnets) and less band 6's to other schools, e.g. james ruse had 96 all rounders...more than b4

smally69

HSC
sirfeathers said:
the number of band 6s could well change every year. but UAI is a percentile, so i don't understand how the no. of people getting 90+ would change dramatically from year to year - sounds like an urban myth to me.
yea im with you on this until i see some hard evidence to suggest otherwise, as this is my understanding of the UAI system as well

smally69

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
uai doesn't change drastically, just a bit, and about the lower band 6's, i dont really think thats true, but i think this year, the top schools took more band 6's than usual resulting in more all rounders (i know there were more studnets) and less band 6's to other schools, e.g. james ruse had 96 all rounders...more than b4
that makes a lot of sense to me, and I have a feeling that's where people are getting mistaken and is the cause of these rumours

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)