Lower ATAR than cut-off - can I still get into the course? (1 Viewer)

cityskyline

HSC
I'm aiming for commerce/arts at UNSW and the cut-off for that was 96.3 last year.

Is it still possible to get in if I get an ATAR of around 89-90, then plus 5 bonus points? So around 94-95

How lenient is UNSW business regarding admission and what steps will I need to take if I just miss the cut-off for this year? e.g. email the dean, provide a reference letter..

Also my school is ranked top 5 in the state so would that possibly increase my chances of getting in, despite if I don't make the cut-off?

My careers adviser told me that there were two more rounds after the main round that I could apply for.. Could I get more info on how that works?

Thanks in advance :)

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
it's called an atar cut-off for a reason. If you get 96.25(+bonus points) and the cut-off is 96.3, you won't be receiving an offer.

Flop21

HSC
I think OP is wondering if some unis display a different cut off to make themselves look more in demand or prestigious which I've heard has been done.

I've heard people getting into courses below the cut off, and also wondering how they get in, do some unis just let some extra students in?

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
I think OP is wondering if some unis display a different cut off to make themselves look more in demand or prestigious which I've heard has been done.

I've heard people getting into courses below the cut off, and also wondering how they get in, do some unis just let some extra students in?
simple. just give the dean a lap dance.

Silly Sausage

HSC
If you fall slightly behind the published cut-off and there are any vacancies available (extremely unlikely for UNSW commerce), you might receive an offer.

Last edited:

cityskyline

HSC
If you fall slightly behind the published cut-off and there are of vacancies available (extremely unlikely for UNSW commerce), you might receive an offer.
How would I know if there vacancies available? and would I have to apply for the second round?

HSC
Commerce is a competitive course at UNSW with a lot of students putting that down as their preferences.

I highly doubt you'll get into Commerce during first round offers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)