Lost motivation and failing exams :(! (1 Viewer)

atar995

HSC
Hey, I have been performing terribly at all my school subjects I am currently undergoing. I try different study techniques but I always forget even after studying constantly. My parents are also really strict about my education. I currently undergo these subjects: Economics, 2 Unit Maths, Adv. English, Chemistry, Biology. I just seem to have really bad memory and have fatigue. I used to play a lot of games when I was in Year 11 and didn't really listen in class (since my parents were so strict and I hadn't been really found a way to play games other than at school or when I got older and found ways to "trick" my parents to think I'm studying.
I also go to tutoring for English, Chemistry and Maths and they seem to help but then again I just forget what I learn when I do want to remember what I had learnt but just forget. I do not have many friends at school and don't really have any "study buddy". I of course regret the decision of not trying harder but I have done as much as I can. I wish to do Software Engineering at UTS which requires an atar of 85/86 and at this rate I don't think I'm even going to get in Uni. I do try to go back to all the work an restudying but its just too much…

If anyone can give me tips that would be great as I am smart in the stuff I am passionate in wanting to study but I need to pass school first in order to get into my dream course.

Thanks Guys!

astroman

HSC
revise regularly, don't give up what you enjoy, if you want to play games then play games but restrict yourself. Organise your daily routine and stick to it. It's your final year of schooling so you should make it count. And also you don't need necessarily to get an atar of 85 or above to get into the course. There are alternate pathways, such as getting bonus points from factors such as your school's location, your passion for the course, and there is also the engineering questionnaire. With that said if you can get an atar of 80 you will get in most probs.

duhdevitt

HSC
My Tips:

Before you Start: Take a deep breath and relax for a while and just think

In Class: Listen in class, write notes, ask questions, Send in practice answers for essays for teachers to mark cos they are gonna mark your exams so its good to know where to fix up. For me in year 11 I was getting around 75 in bio and I did a lot of work but it wasn't productive, I just wrote notes without understanding. Year 12 , im doing less hours but more productive study as I know what I'm writing.

At Home: Don't do timetables, do a to do list. Gives you satisfaction when you cross of something lol. When your studying , when you get bored and feel tired STOP and take a break then do a another subject.

Homework: For me homework for all my subjects is study and IT SHOULD BE STUDY, ESPECIALLY FOR MATHS. Your homework is like your study. Take time with your homework and understand. My mate in Sydney Boys puts around 3hrs of study a weekday but he's full on productive in those 3hrs and at school he concentrates full on.

Study:

Maths: Read examples-Do examples while covering answers- YouTube videos on it(Eddie woo, stpaulsmaths2012)- Do excercises- Do HSC Questions-Chapter review- Do all success one questions on that topic. Works for me

Bio: I'm a visual learner so I watch shit loads of videos. I watched a video on transmission of malaria, I know it back to front cos its in my head. Find what works best for you and do it ASAP

Chem: Same thing as bio

English: Essays Essays Essays

I'm pretty chill bout my studies now cos I know its not the end of the world. In year 11 I studied shit loads and cried when I did shit. Now I do around 3hrs and yeah, I get around 70-80 but my school is around top 40's so there's shit loads of comp

Just do your best and study smart

Hope this helps, PM if you need anything else.(pictures of my book etc)

atar995

HSC
Thanks heaps! I will take your tips into consideration and try them :). I currently have the HSC Success One for Maths. I will try my best and we'll see what happens.

HSC
-when you learn something, just place it into your own words in simplest ways possible, kept in a convenient place (can be dot points, flowcharts, diagrams)
-remember don't make things too complicated and lengthy, your brain can't keep it all
-practising questions really help, why not do these after each dot point to consolidate knowledge?
-test whether you remember the content by taking a breather after each dot point and recall/ summarise without looking at the info

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey Atar995 :)

I hope you are taking care of yourself during this stressful time called the HSC. It's a rough battle, and there are plenty of people already losing hope and getting demotivated because of unexpected marks. However, I can see that you really want to do well and that you want to get into your dream course. :)

The first tip I can give you is to never give up on your dreams- no matter what struggles you encounter! I think your dreams are all the more inspiring and better to look at when you conquer insurmountable struggle to attain them. Take breaks once in awhile to reflect on your endeavours- this is beneficial in the long run.

Alright- for English I agree that the best way to do well is to practise, practise practise! Essays, creatives you name it. Someone on BoS said that 'There are no shortcuts to succeeding in english', which I think is the reality of the situation. Also, familiarise yourself with the kind of language that Advanced English students are required to attain. You can do this by reading band-six responses or asking your teacher for some 'tips' on the best way to answer questions for each module.

Biology- I usually just use a lot of books to study and manually write my notes. There's also lots of great resources online for both notes and additional information. OHH Do loads of past papers- I really benefitted a lot doing them for my HY examinations.

Maths- Well, it's just standard doing the questions. Expose yourself to as many questions as you can as you can be better equipped to handle them in exam situations :) Make sure to address any problem areas by asking your teacher or tutors- this will help you amend any misunderstandings you have with 2U maths.

I'd like to wish you the best of luck with the Higher School Certificate. With hard work and determination, anyone's dreams can be a reality! :D I'll be cheering you on!

sophie109

HSC
I do 4 out of the 5 subjects you do (minus Chemistry, plus English Ext 1 and Society & Culture) and I know the same feeling of losing hope!
I sound bratty as, but in my first round of assessments I went incredibly well, coming first in all but one of my exams and I'm at a selective school. It was seriously surprising but I worked hard for it.

Next thing, half yearly's are in full motion and the pressure to succeed and maintain my reputation was too much to handle. I found that the stress blocked my mental state from moving forward and I broke down crying like a wimp a lot.

Here's what I did for each subject:

English Advanced
I consider this one of my best, but toughest subjects. The best advice I can give you is MAKE STUDY NOTES NOW. Even just opening up Word and creating a table with headings is the best jump start you can give yourself. Picking up quotes and examples from your texts along the way means you have a catalogue of choices when planning for your next assessment. Also, I've found the best way to structure your study notes is by brainstorming about three or so thesis statements that will be malleable for any question the BOS extract from the module statement (for the Discovery AOS obviously it's safer to have more theses because of the large mod. statement). Under each thesis, come up with three key points that support it, find examples from your core text (contextualise, meaning & effect, judgement... blah, blah, blah) then balance them with related texts and viola. It's a LOT of critical thinking and is vastly different from studying for 2 unit Maths, for example.

Biology
I love this subject because it's my only science course and it's so bloody straightforward. It's like here's the syllabus now go look it up on the internet. Obviously it has the reputation of being the easiest science (for the simple fact that it is) and therefore it's a process of creating study notes ->learning them -> past papers. Again, keeping up with study notes is key. If I don't get something straightaway there are a plethora of videos and resources to help you understand. In saying that, I know some do struggle with Biology (my best friend, for example) so it's best to ask your teacher, a friend that you know understands fully or do practise questions.

Advanced Maths
Do at least some mathematics every night. At my school, we take about 1-2 weeks to learn the topic with some exercises then we go through extra exercises to cement our knowledge and have a topic test. So I usually do the extra exercises as we go along and spend the extra time doing past papers (I'm constantly told there isn't enough time to do all the past papers before Trials and actual HSC exams).

Economics
Good god, I pray for us. So much content. Summarise, summarise, summarise. Practise multiple choice, practise short answers, practise essays. Practise everything. Economics is extremely heavy in content (especially as I seriously have the world's most passionate and dedicated teacher) and it's important that you grasp difficult concepts as they come - spend time with your teacher when there are areas you don't understand. Keep up to date with current economics (I find the morning news or radio to and from school is sufficient but ABC has a lot of good, current content), memorise your graphs and statistics and use recent economic events as examples.

I'm only as experienced in the HSC as you are but hopefully some of what I have wrote is useful! I had a few disappointing results in my half yearly's and, as a result, I wallowed in my own sadness for too long these holidays haha. In the end, I'm almost thankful for less than satisfying results because they get you angry, then you accept it and move on (and usually upwards). Being at the top of the class is nice but I've found that having room for improvement is motivating when you have the right perspective. If you study to your full capacity and try your best, then no one can ask more of you.

As for forgetting things straightaway, it's important that you fully understand what you're absorbing. Cement this in your memory by: English = research on the internet, Biology = online videos, textbooks, diagrams, boredofstudies forums, Economics = I find my teacher is my greatest help (he repeats everything 10 times so its hard to forget), I also find investopedia has some basic videos that help you to get the gist of an idea, Maths = seriously, practise questions every night (minimum).

It'll be hard but we're already (kind of) half way there! At least you can console in the fact that I'm struggling with you haha. Also I'm trying to be motivated by the fact that uni next year will be much harder haha (not my best advice).
Good luck! :D

Last edited:

aaron_s

HSC
Hey mate, im in the same situation as you. I lost my motivation thanks to Maths and just gave up studying but now im starting to pick up. Its never too late. I do Chemistry, Phyiscs, Mathematics, Standard English and Economics. My ranks are towards the lower end for Maths and Economics but i picked up Physics and i went from being 13/14 last year to 6/14 and honestly that gave me a lot of confidence to pick up in other subjects and try my best. We still got 1 more task (for most subjects) and trials to go and thats atleast 50 - 60% for most subjects depending on the weighing of the other tasks. Its never too late. Work your butt off and give 100%. Revise every day, take notes and answer syllabus points. Work through past papers for every subjects and thats honestly the best one i reckon, it really helps especially with multiple choices in some subjects. Also think about other pathways too. Im looking at UTS too. If you cant get into UTS, you can do insearch (a bit expensive tho) or infact get into another uni such as UWS and transfer after 1 year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)