• I'm a girl and NO I'm not

Votes: 71 14.1%
  • I'm a boy and I'm hella sexy

Votes: 158 31.5%

• Total voters

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
does such a small thing make so much difference? really...it's only philly, you're not eating a huge meal of it

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah, the things is tho its quite a large amount of calories for such a small insignificant thing, whereas those calories could be used more effectively, eating something thats more filling and with more vitamins etc in it

*wbg*

HSC
my diet is going horribly :(
why arent i losing weight?
*cries*

Always

HSC
Up the neg. cal. foods intake. Google "negative calories", I can't be bothered explaining it.

Make acquaintances with apple cider vinegar. Drink a tablespoon (dilute it with water if you wish) before a big meal. It will suppress your appetite and do amazing things to fat and protein. You could also soak cucumber in apple cider vinegar and eat that before each meal. It tastes good so it also makes a good snack. Go easy on the ACV though, or your stomach will be crying (trust me :p ).

I cannot stress the importance of water. Water is great for so many things. It helps to flush out fatty deposits, ice-cold water raises metabolism, and warm water will trick your body into thinking it's full. Drink water CONSTANTLY. You should be aiming for 3 litres/day. If you ever feel bad craving coming on, start drinking glasses and glasses of warm water until the craving goes away. It works, because there's only so much water you can drink until you feel absolutely bloated.

Cut out all the "fluffy" foods (eg. bread). Bread has got to be the most useless food. For one, it doesn't even taste that great and more importantly, it does NOTHING to fill you up (note: there is 150 calories in a single bread roll). Try eating 2 slices of bread on its own - useless! Instead, eat more DENSE foods.

Despite what most say, caffeine is a go. It's an appetite suppressant and helps to increase metabolism. It also acts as a diuretic.

...and I can't think of any more tips.

*wbg*, tell me what your diet is like.

**blu_rose**

HSC
*wbg* said:
catwalk you're not alone.. im trying to lose weight, but hten again im always trying! im 164cm and my weight fluctuates between 56 and 58kg i'd like to get down to 50kg.. hmm :(
i'm in the exact same situation as u and i've been killing myself to get to 50 but my body just won't allow me, hence i've become lazy, stopped exercising and starting to eat more:(

Always

HSC
melimoo said:
what is apple cider vinegar exactly? taste any good? and you just get it from the supermarket?
taken from a website said:
Apple Cider Vinegar has been used for ages and has proven itself safe and effective for helping many health issues. This product is so safe, it can be used for children with weight problems and people with high blood pressure and diabetes! Folks there is no excuse now! Lose the fat that is contributing to your health problems. The vinegar is made from fresh natural apples that contain pectin, a soluble fiber which binds to cholesterol globules and pulls them out of the body. This also helps remove unwanted heavy metals! Less fat and cholesterol in the body reduces the risk of just about any ailment! It works 24 hours a day to help your body remove unwanted fat. There are no side effects. We do recommend that you drink 2-3 glasses of extra water daily to help your body flush this fat out and speed up the weight loss process.
It doesn't taste terrible, but I can't say it tastes great on it's own. Cucumbers soaked in ACV tastes good though. :)

Yes, either buy it from the supermarket or health food stores.

In spite of all that, I don't think anyone should depend on ACV to get rid of fat. That website has exaggerated ACV's ability to remove fat. ACV helps to remove fat from the food you've just eaten but I don't believe it can remove "unwanted fat" from your body. If that were the case, we'd all be trim.

I also don't think it's healthy to eat a fatty meal and rely on ACV to reverse your bad deed for you. Instead, it'd be much better to eat healthy meals and use ACV merely as an aid to remove unwanted fats from the meal.

I'm warning you now, don't be greedy and have too much at once. ;) Your stomach will be begging for mercy...

*wbg*

HSC
Always: pretty much my diet goes (it changed after i found out that bread and avocardo were no nos :D)

brek: fruit and/or a piece of toast
lunch: salad (i was having avocardo sandwiches but yeah)
dinner: half portion of white meat and veggies with a small portion of rice

sometimes a snack of fruit/ raw broccoli/ carrots etc.

also drink coffee and water steadily through the day (i know coffee is not brilliant for your health but im a coffee addict... mmm coffeee )

see, i think that sounds okay.. doing bout 20mins of exercise too... but im not losing weight!

meh :(

hYperTrOphY

HSC
*wbg* said:
brek: fruit and/or a piece of toast
Poor carbohydrate source and no protein! Very poor breakfast. Breakfast is of significant importance as you have fasted through sleep and you are in a catabolic state. Catabolism means you need PROTEIN.
A better breakfast would be something like porridge and eggs.

lunch: salad (i was having avocardo sandwiches but yeah)
What is in the salad? How many calories is it? What is the macro breakdown of the meal (i.e. protein/carbs/fat)?

dinner: half portion of white meat and veggies with a small portion of rice
Quite good. What vegetables and what kind of rice though?

also drink coffee and water steadily through the day (i know coffee is not brilliant for your health but im a coffee addict... mmm coffeee )
Some suggest that caffeine is good when attempting to lose weight. Personally, I would avoid it. One of the most important reasons for this is its diuretic effect, which contributes to dehydration. This is extremely important for me as I have to drink 5+L of water to ensure hydration, especially since I am supplementing with creatine. If I was you, I would do some research of caffeine and then make an informed decision about whether you want to continue drinking it - depending on your circumstances/goals etc.

see, i think that sounds okay
No! It is far from okay!

doing bout 20mins of exercise too... but im not losing weight!
Cardio should be done for longer duration at a lesser intensity when aiming for fat loss. Up it to about 45 mins. Also, start doing resistance training - this will be of much benefit and mean that not only are you losing fat, but building muscle = shape and tone.

Another problem is that you are only having 3 meals. I recommend 6.
Also, for your diet to be successful you need to be eating the right amount of calories and your macronutrient ratio needs to be in accord with your goals. This is where it can get slightly complicated, but if you are willing, I can provide some assistance.

Goodluck.

Last edited:

Always

HSC
Judging from your diet, *wbg*, you should definitely be losing weight. This leads me to believe that you're currently in a weight loss plateau. Your body is resisting further weight loss because you've pushed it too far. If you want me to explain this further, just ask.

I think you should increase the amount of calories you consume, but through low-cal foods. This is where negative calorie foods come in (google it - mainly veggies & fruit). Eating these foods will get your body out of starvation mode and kickstart your metabolism again. I can't be bothered explaining the concept - just eat lots of fruit and veggies!!

hYperTrOphY, I think porridge is a poor breakfast choice. No one eats porridge plain (it tastes horrid), and all the condiments added to enhance the taste makes it very high-cal. I think cereal (Special K) and a piece of fruit (banana) is a good choice. It will keep you full for a long time and it's also low-cal and healthy.

While caffeine has a diuretic effect, it is also an appetite suppressant and it helps to increase metabolism. The girl said she's drinking water!, so there is little chance of dehydration. *wbg*, if you are adding sugar or milk to your coffee, I suggest you should either stop or switch to green tea.

I'll give you a brief diet suggestion:

Breakfast: Special K with low-fat or skim milk, 1 banana. (you drink a glass of water first thing every morning though)

Morning tea: fruit salad or 2 pieces of fruit (no banana!)

Lunch: tuna salad (you need the protein) OR if you hate tuna, substitute it with chicken. You really must include some source of protein. Include LOTS of veggies in the salad.

Afternoon snack: Nestle Diet yoghurt, because I'm concerned about your calcium intake. You're still young and you're a woman. Don't skimp on calcium. (Nestle Diet yoghurt is only 90 cals anyway)

Dinner: I know it's hard to control what you eat for dinner because you (I'm assuming) don't do the cooking. This is why I suggest you take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before dinner.

Throughout the day: water water water!! I think 5+ litres is excessive. You don't want to walk around with a bloated stomach. 3 litres is plenty.

This diet is much more substantial than the one you're currently on. You're starving yourself and as a result, your body is clinging on to every bit of fat.

Re: exercise, do it first thing in the morning. If you exercise any other time you will just be burning off calories, not fat. Exercising in the morning will also raise your metabolism for the rest of the day.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Seems to me that in order to sustain the healthy diets you people are talking about you need to not have a job nor a life.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
_Bushra_ said:
The easiest way to lose weight is to travel. Its also fun and fulfilling. I went to Malaysia and India after the HSC (just got back) and I've lost about 3-4 kilos...
:D:D
:/

see your doctor immediately, you've obviously caught something

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
can i ask what the verdict on nuts and dried fruit (mainly sultanas) is. i try to only eat raw nuts and sultanas, and i used to eat them as snacks everyday. i used to eat nuts because theyre a good source of protein (??? are they?) and i don't get much in my diet. and sultanas were just nice. however are nuts fatty? and arent sultanas really sugary? i know that sunbeam ones have oil on them as well to stop them sticking and to make them look nicer. but what im essentially asking is what are good snacks apart from vegies?
and also, always, you seem to know about metabolisms and shit. what will send mine out of whack?im just afraid that it'll go crazy and i'll have none and then my head will explode

hYperTrOphY

HSC
hYperTrOphY, I think porridge is a poor breakfast choice. No one eats porridge plain (it tastes horrid), and all the condiments added to enhance the taste makes it very high-cal.
I have 2 large bowls per day, everyday, and I don't add anything to it. You get used to it after a little while. Alternatively, you could add splenda to it.
While caffeine has a diuretic effect, it is also an appetite suppressant and it helps to increase metabolism. The girl said she's drinking water!, so there is little chance of dehydration.
There are other negative effects of caffeine other than its diuretic effect (e.g. increased blood pressure). Staying full can also be achieved by eating the right kinds of foods. As I said in my post though, it is up to her to make the decision.
Throughout the day: water water water!! I think 5+ litres is excessive. You don't want to walk around with a bloated stomach. 3 litres is plenty.
I didn't suggest she have 5+ litres. I said that is what I have (and stated the reasons).
Re: exercise, do it first thing in the morning. If you exercise any other time you will just be burning off calories, not fat. Exercising in the morning will also raise your metabolism for the rest of the day.
I hope you're not suggesting she do exercise after not eating for 8 hrs?
If you exercise properly - that is, at a VO2 max of about 65% for 45 minutes you will predominately metabolise fat for energy.

EDIT: Cardio metabolizes calories and fat. The difference is substrate utilization. During an aneorobic activity lets say you metabolize 400 calories, and during an aeorobic activity, you metabolize 400, as well. The question is, what substrates do you use--carbs, fats, or proteins? This depends on the intensity and diet. The goal is, you want to use fat as your dominant substrate. Well, the higher your intensity is, the more carbohydrates you will use; the lower your intensity is, the more fat you will use.
Seems to me that in order to sustain the healthy diets you people are talking about you need to not have a job nor a life.
How does changing your eating habits equate to having no life?
For me, it affects all aspects of my life, however for most it will not be this intense.

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
_Bushra_ said:
The easiest way to lose weight is to travel. Its also fun and fulfilling. I went to Malaysia and India after the HSC (just got back) and I've lost about 3-4 kilos...
that's quite an expensive way to lose 3-4 kilos! lol plus some people actually gain weight when travelling.

*~Dazed~* said:
that's not the case :) i have a job at a shopping centre and i have easy access to hot chips, hamburgers, kebabs, etc. but if you're willing to eat healthy and lose weight, there's simple alternatives. like taking lunch from home or choosing a salad sandwich rather than maccas. As for not having a life, me losing 10 kilos gave me a life rather than took it away :) i now have more energy to do lots of things, i feel more confident in the way i dress and the increase in confidence makes u feel awesome.

if it pains u to go out to dinner with friends coz u know ur friends are going to Maccas or some restaurant, there are alternatives in getting a pizza or something fried and fatty. you don't have to let it control you.

I wouldn't particularly go for porridge lol but it is very good for you. however, if u can't stomach it, there are alternatives.

let's not forget that everyone's idea of the "perfect diet" is very different.

I think the reason why Always suggested exercising in the morning was because, by the afternoon, if you've been workign all day, you're often too buggered to exercise. im unsure of which time of the day is best to exercise. i guess it depends on you. sometimes i'd rather exercise in the morning, and sometimes i do it at night.

work out a diet that suits YOU. i also recommed eating 6 meals a day.
your usual breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus 2 meals inbetween and 1 after dinner. have a look at the CSIRO healthy eating book. it's only $20 from Myer and it's got a whole heap of suggestions for meals.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I think the reason why Always suggested exercising in the morning was because, by the afternoon, if you've been workign all day, you're often too buggered to exercise.
]

Possibly, although I'm more inclined to believe that she thinks exercising in the morning, before breakfast, will mean you burn body fat; whereas exercising later in the day after food wil mean you only burn these calories and not bodyfat. However, this is not true. While you wont have much blood glucose in the morning, you will still have muscle glycogen. Thus, exercising at such a time will be more detrimental as you are getting your energy from an intramuscular source = muscle catabolism.
Moreover, as I explained in my previous post, exercise results in the metabolism of both calories and fat (or carbs and protein).

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Catwalk said:
i'm trying to lose weight before school starts again and it's so, so hard. when i go out i eat junk, when i'm home i eat junk as well.
is anyone else trying to lose weight? maybe we could all share tips or something.
im 160cm and i weigh 51kg currently. i wanna be 46kg in 4 weeks time. realistic or not?
anyway, how much do you weigh and how much do you want to weigh?
(btw, im not sure where to post this. just posted in F+L cos i figured more girls browse this forum)
Your Body Mass Index

The Height you entered is 160 centimeters. The Weight you entered is 51 kilograms.
Your Calculated BMI is: 19.9

18.5 – 24.9 = Normal

Catwalk said:
i know i'm not extremely fat or anything so i don't mean to insult anyone that's bigger than me. but i would like to be thinner especially since i'm asian and all other asians are skinny shits (as my parents love to remind me).
The problem isnt your weight but your relationship with your parents and need to fufill their expectations.

Losing weight is not starving yourself but eating the right foods and the right amounts. If you find yourself snacking then don't buy those snacks or instead drink a glass of water when you feel the urge to snack.

Do not eat until your full. That feeling is gained when you've met your needs however it takes minutes before you feel full and hence most of the time you eat more than you need.

Contrary to what people say. You don't actually lose weight during sex. Google up the rep

_Bushra_ said:
:D:D
Best way to lost weight is to travel?

I went to the US and boy did I gain weight.

Travelling is exploring culture and environment. One of these being FOOD.

NOTE: If your only considering to lose weight by eating less/properly then your a fool to ignore excercise. Just because you thin doesn't mean your healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)