Votes: 71 14.1%
  • I'm a boy and I'm hella sexy

Votes: 158 31.5%

• Total voters

davin

HSC
N/A
i'm just saying what worked for me, is all
i lost somewhere around 30 lb, minimum in a month and a half's time that way, and some of it has come back only very recently (this was 2 years back) because i've been eating too much of late
i'm also the unsightly sort of person, so was in more dire need.

arrested development
HSC
Starving yourself can result in a whole plethora of complications and excess strain on your internal organs, you know? Your body really does need to be consistently and regularly nourished so it can function properly and not fuck up.
Starving yourself = bad.

davin

HSC
N/A
well, being fat was plenty strain enough on them, i figure. things like removing soda from my diet didn't help at all in its own right.

though, to say it didn't contribute at all seems rather ridiculous considering the diminished intake would specifically effect weight

the fat, i feel, are under different constraints. i mean, even having lost the weight i did, i'm still fat, so its not like i was just a little chubby when this happened. nor was it neccessarily a concious move.

arrested development
HSC
Purging is the worst things in the world and nobody should EVER do it.
Seriously. It's one of the most destructive things you can do to your body. Like dying really, really slowly.

HSC
i naturally have a very very high metabolism, and what i used to do was eat heaps but i also burnt alot of it off because im naturally active (never/rarely am i always sitting on my ass). and dietition told me that if you eat alot but also burn it off very fast that speeds up your metabolism so it did even more 'damage' im currently 12kg underweight the recommended (but i dont even look thin or fat), it would explain why im finding it so hard to put on descent muscle!

davin

HSC
N/A
the whole....eat food then throw up angle to it IS a very different thing to what i was referring to. mine is more of a sublevel of apathy than an active endevour. more just that i stopped getting round to eating, so i'd have a meal every two or three days

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
i don't think we were discussing purging in relation to your case.

this may be seen as controversial and i'll probably get flamed for it but i think bulimia is even worse than being anorexic. it's eating all the food you want and then purging it. which is so fucking bad for you but at the same time teaching you worse habits i guess? maybe i'm wrong. but at least anorexics understand what is contained within foods and shy away from food with high fat content.

remember kiddies, the only way to be healthy and slim is to EAT WELL, EXERCISE LOTS AND DON'T BUY INTO FAD DIETS :)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
davin said:
the whole....eat food then throw up angle to it IS a very different thing to what i was referring to. mine is more of a sublevel of apathy than an active endevour. more just that i stopped getting round to eating, so i'd have a meal every two or three days
starvation is rarely apathy.
it consumes your mind.
purging is not really all that distant. depends if you're binging.

davin

HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
i don't think we were discussing purging in relation to your case.

this may be seen as controversial and i'll probably get flamed for it but i think bulimia is even worse than being anorexic. it's eating all the food you want and then purging it. which is so fucking bad for you but at the same time teaching you worse habits i guess? maybe i'm wrong. but at least anorexics understand what is contained within foods and shy away from food with high fat content.

remember kiddies, the only way to be healthy and slim is to EAT WELL, EXERCISE LOTS AND DON'T BUY INTO FAD DIETS :)
i think that'd be a very accurate statement as there is damage to the esophagous that can be pretty severe when its a habit, as thats basicly coating your throat with acid frequently

arrested development
HSC
Tulipa said:
I don't like the implication that bulimics are sort of "weak-willed" in comparison to anorexics, which is how I read that bolded sentence. It's more so to do with the reasons why anorexics and bulimics turn to their eating disorders. Anorexia is generally about control, whereas bulimia (the overeating and purging type) is about comfort and trying to fill a void. Also, not all bulimics throw up, and anorexics can throw up too.

But, in terms of the effects that it has on one's body, bulimia is by far the worse of the two. It destroys the heart, lungs, stomach, throat, teeth; and it can really screw up the digestive system and, after a long enough period, can make it impossible to keep one's food down.

Blah blah blah... I'll shut up now.

davin

HSC
N/A
i thought bulimia and anorexia defined by the starving oneself vs binge/purge though?

arrested development
HSC
davin said:
i thought bulimia and anorexia defined by the starving oneself vs binge/purge though?
Not necessarily. A much wider spectrum of various forms of disordered eating are being recognised nowadays. For example, someone can be a "purging-type anorexic" - which basically means that they're severely underweight, yet they partake in bulimic-type behaviour as well as starvation/restriction.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
davin said:
:confused: that made no sense
anyway, taking it to mean what i think you meant, the 2 are not mutually exclusive
people don't just wake up one day and say
'ok, i'm anorexic' or 'ok, i'm bulimic'
methinks they do whatever the hell they can/need

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
melimoo said:
anyway, taking it to mean what i think you meant, the 2 are not mutually exclusive
i tend to separate them in my mind, which is odd.

merely because once i don't eat i can't purge and when i am purging i'm eating far too much.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
Tulipa said:
i tend to separate them in my mind, which is odd.

merely because once i don't eat i can't purge and when i am purging i'm eating far too much.
yeah, i understand that. i mean the 2 of them are almost polar extremes however strangely enough they do cross. like an anorexic may not binge like a bulimic, however they would probably purge like one

arrested development
HSC
Tulipa said:
i find that they are though... just with personal experience and friends experience.

i understand the ideas of control within anorexics and also the motivations behind each one.

however to me and this is probably because i've had difficulties with both, with anorexia i always felt prouder of myself for self starvation, for the minimal food i ate whereas when purging it was easy to feel disgusted with myself even though the food had provided that level of comfort.
Oh I definitely agree that anorexia makes one feel "prouder". I, too, have suffered from both the disorders in various forms for a long time, so I completely understand what you're saying. :)

davin

HSC
N/A
melimoo said:
to clarify what i meant, i meant that i'd always associated anorexia with avoiding eating outright, whereas bullimia would've been based on eating, then vomiting after.

Zoe said:
Not necessarily. A much wider spectrum of various forms of disordered eating are being recognised nowadays. For example, someone can be a "purging-type anorexic" - which basically means that they're severely underweight, yet they partake in bulimic-type behaviour as well as starvation/restriction.
so am i right in taking that to mean that anorexia does feature, as a key element, being underweight rather than dietary habits alone?

arrested development
HSC
davin said:
to clarify what i meant, i meant that i'd always associated anorexia with avoiding eating outright, whereas bullimia would've been based on eating, then vomiting after.

so am i right in taking that to mean that anorexia does feature, as a key element, being underweight rather than dietary habits alone?
It depends on the person, really. I've known someone who was diagnosed as simply "bulimic", yet was frightfully underweight; someone who was considered "purging-type anorexic", yet was of a healthy weight; plus many other combinations of the two. You can't really just separate the physical side (ie. weight) from the mental side, and doctors and therapists should be able to make a diagnosis by working as a team and taking all things into consideration.

davin

HSC
N/A
ok....just wasn't sure by the usage there, and it was rather a big topic between myself and my mom, as we had two entirely different views of what was going on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)