Loner advantage (1 Viewer)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I'm the only person in extension english1 at my school.
I don't understand the process of the HSC at all really, and I was wondering if this would advantage me in any way in ext english.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
there isn't much process to it, just get in there and write ur ass off!

gabn

HSC
I'm the only one who is doing ext. 2 maths i think we get the advatage that we can't be drag down by other students...... but saying that we don't get boosted either.

the advantage is you had 1 on 1 time with the teacher.

Skeeta

HSC
possibly.. im in the first ext class my school has ever had and with a class of 5 people.

The advantage of being in a class with others is that you can see where you are at in examinations and assessments because you have your rankings.. in that was you might be at a disadvantage - but if you are getting one on one teaching advice then you are possibly at an advantage... it really depends but if you are a dedicated student it shouldnt matter too much - youve just got to use your resources

timrie6

HSC
N/A
They make it unneccesarily complicated.

HSC
i think it would have its advantages for sure, as long as you had a teacher there to guide and motivate you, it'd be like daily tutoring almost.

on the other hand, i did a distance education subject by myself and as i have no motivation, i did absolutely nothing all year ..

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Well I've gone really well- my assessment mark is 96 I think.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
don't worry, i'm the only one who does 3/4u maths at my school

first person ever to do 4u...

i think it has the advantage of 1on1, but since i am year 11/12 now i don't understand how it is a disadvantage yet

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
timrie6 said:
I'm the only person in extension english1 at my school.
I don't understand the process of the HSC at all really, and I was wondering if this would advantage me in any way in ext english.
The advantage is that your moderated assessment mark will be set equal to your exam mark.

Essentially, the exam means everything for you. :)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
timrie6 said:
Well I've gone really well- my assessment mark is 96 I think.
I bet you $100 that your final rank will be #1. I have faith in you

chepas

HSC
Lazarus said:
Essentially, the exam means everything for you.
So does that mean that our HSC exam mark could 'pull down' the moderated assessment mark if we don't get similar marks in the assessment mark and the HSC exam, therefore it's better to do really well in the HSC exam than if we had a class full of people, not that I'm saying we shouldn't try hard! ?

So in effect being automatically ranked first because there's no one else isn't really that advantageous?

(The 'loner' situation is for me with Music 2 and Extension)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
From what Laz is saying, if you get 0 for your assesment mark and 100 for your exam, then your final mark will be 100 due to the moderation process. Vice versa i guess if you get 100 in your assesments and 0 in your exam your final mark will be 0.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Cactus is right. Your moderated assessment mark will be your exam mark, irrespective of whatever your raw internal assessment mark was. (That mark would be referred to in the case of illness/misadventure.)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
damn. so if i get, say, 80 in the exam, my mark will be 80 regardless of my good assess mark

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
your exam mark is in no way affected by your assesment mark, and in your case your final mark will be whatever you get in your exam.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Lazarus said:
Cactus is right. Your moderated assessment mark will be your exam mark, irrespective of whatever your raw internal assessment mark was. (That mark would be referred to in the case of illness/misadventure.)
Misadventure happend to a girl at our school two years ago, so the way they moderated her assesment mark is by looking at her Advanced class and how they would go in 3u based on their marks. She ended up complaining and last I heard got them to scale based on her 4u mark.

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
my german class consisted of a mere 4 students, myself included. i loved it, our teacher was really nice and we progressed really thoroughly through the topics. overall it was a rewarding experience to have a small class. plus *fingers crossed* my classmates are all very good at german so my mark is gonna soar :D

timrie6

HSC
N/A
my biggest class is probably 9?
average about 5 or 6 people
small school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)