lol i know its pretty late but.... (1 Viewer)

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
can you believe, that my teacher never actually explained to our class what this topic was all about? like we did summaries of the poems etc. and i understand (some) of them, but i only just realised that critical study should mean im supposed to critisise it somehow (yeh dumb ay... ive been thinking it for awhile, just never really did anything lol)

anyway, what were u guys planning to write in the exam? im doing Gwen Harwood, and i know Prizegiving, Father & Child, and the Glass Jar. I know what theyre about, and i know quotes pretty well... but i have no idea what to write now!

how am i supposed to critisise the poems? do i critisise harwood? (easy - BORING) or critisise the form etc.?

any help would be great.. thanks guys

HSC
N/A
Critically review your poems. I don't do your texts (ITSOAL for me) but what we're doing is looking at the text through different readings - liberal humanist, post-modern etc, and critical reviews by actual critics (mine are Turcotte etc). It's still a basic essay layout though.

You also should come to some sort of conclusion about the text, perhaps - what have you learnt from it, how has it impacted you? Do you think this was intended by the composer?

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
thanks for the help so far.

where would i find critical analysis' of the poems? anyone recommend any sites or books i can check out from library (yeh this is like REALLY late i know!)

also ive been reading in other posts about feminist approaches, marxist approaches etc. - could someone explain that to me?

you would think my teacher would do this, but nooooo... and guess who conveniently took a holiday to Europe the week before the HSC???

HSC
N/A
Look on Sparknotes - the actual Board of Studies, HSC Online... anywhere and everywhere!!!!!

Your teacher sounds like a real nong - hello, HSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Your teacher sounds like a real nong - hello, HSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeh but wat can u do... i only just found out like 2 days ago how far off i was! i dont even know wat post-modernism is, let alone how to use it in an extended response! the whole time i been getting decent marks, not great, but thats cuz i didnt know quotes, and i shouldve been getting like 2/20!

what are people planning to write in the exam? cuz basically i have NO essay plan at all, it all went out the window when i realised what ive been doing... same goes with everyone else in my class, unless they cottoned on to it earlier... but i doubt it seeing as im ranked pretty high in the class

wat are u guys planning?

HSC
N/A
If I did your texts, I could help you more, but as it is, i can only wish you the best :)

As for me - I'm writing about my book (ITSOAL). I'm looking at the different readings - Liberal humanist, Narratological etc, what the composer aims to do by writing the book (Textual Integrity), contemporary issues raised in the book, techniques used and what they're used for, and what other critics (Turcotte etc) have said about the novel and/or its purpose. that's a general gist.

eth

HSC
basically, you have to write about the value of the text, and the way different audiences value/d the text differently. A few mentions of critics is useful, but thats about all I can give you - I'm doing Wuthering Heights, the most useless bit of trash I've read

lil_lainy

HSC
Tim_Shady said:
can you believe, that my teacher never actually explained to our class what this topic was all about? like we did summaries of the poems etc. and i understand (some) of them, but i only just realised that critical study should mean im supposed to critisise it somehow
yeh same thing happened to me..except im pretty sure trhe teacher nv explained it eva cause she had like a nervous breakdown and bailed

until i cam on this site i didnt really know like we had to have readinngs and stuff we nv got any of that info i just found this info on the net that had readinsg on it

all we did was like analyse the poems, techniques, wat they ment, yayda yada yada...

oh wat a poo...i had no idea wat to rite in the trials..but now im guessing its just like about the readings, bung in a few techniques, quotes, themes, values, try an answer the question and whallah!

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
lol yeh sounds like a plan.. shame it wont get me any marks though lol

i think after reading other people's posts i have a pretty good idea of what i have to do... i saw some essays on the resources page that have different readings, they can help me i spose..

does anyone hav any docs. that hav some quotes or something i could use in my essay> i dnt have anything obviously. Thanks guys

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)