logical? (1 Viewer)

implicity

HSC
I'm really confused.. with the AOS section, how am I meant to structure it? For my first assessment (2 coleridge poems, 1 supp text), I set it as out as follows: Intro, idea 1 - link 3 texts, idea 2 - link 3 texts, idea 3 - link texts, conclusion. My teacher said this is a good way to structure it, it's logical, but the teacher who was assessing me (this was a speech) gave me a very poor mark, saying that it wasn't "logical & systematic" ! I was told later that this teacher prefers the method of: Intro, text 1 - all ideas, text 2 - all ideas, text 3 - all ideas. A few students who had this teacher and presented their speeches in the 2nd way I've mentioned, scored much higher marks, but the exact opposite happened in other classes.
Aren't we supposed to be highlighting the ideas in journeys, and not really focusing on the texts? What should I do? What's logical and what's not?

hikari

HSC
the text-by-text way is just easier to display techniques and such, but the idea-by-idea method is better for synthesis and arguing your thesis thoroughly in a combined essay.

they're both logical, and it doesn't matter which way you do it. both are acceptable as long as you can highlight the ideas represented and link them to other texts. just do whatever you feel comfortable with because it's what you can do best that matters in the hsc ;P

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Both are logical however it will be more difficult to get into a top band without proper and sophisticated integration of texts. That being said, the essential thing is to be CLEAR - if you can only do this in "chunk" format, then do that.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
that teacher is stupid. you should be integrating your essays as much as possible because it's the only way to get good marks in aos in the actual hsc.

HSC
N/A
I disagree - if one integrates but doesn't make sense, you're screwed.

Write good stuff, and write it clearly. That'll get you to at least a band 4 or 5. Integrate, and write in a sophisticated manner, and you have a better shot at the Band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)