Living too far from Uni (1 Viewer)

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
i was wondering if uws offers any sort of help or assistance with people who live say 45km+ away from the campus they're at? I travel for 2hours each way, and its not like i mind, but spending approx. $35 [plus or minus few $] on public transport each week.... it adds up. So i was juz wondering if anyone knows of any guidance offered to people in my position? Or can we claim anything? Thanks :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Me. I know how you feel. Unforuntely there isn't anything that we can claim back. And the transport is a killer especially the cost. Theres nothing really to help. Your just gonna have to budget very very carefully though.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I asked if I could claim all the gst back on the train tickets I have ... and apparently we can't - cause uni students are worthless according to the government. lol, i was desperate for money, but just learn to budget, i can get through a week for about $30, which covers transport, lunches and photocopying if necessary.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
yeh i thought 1.5 hour was borring and you guys have to travel 2 hours! meh....thats the only thing that sucks, the travel, otherwise i love the uni it's atmosphere is so nice!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Meh, I'm used to the travel ... although, having said that, i've got used to sleeping in, so next week is gonna be a killer. Although it does give you a bonus 2 hours to study and do work - i dunno why, but i find it very easy to study on the train ... maybe cause theres no distractions.

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
thats not fair :(

Living on campus... yeh i think i'll travel for say a semeter or maybe a yr [if i can manage] and if all else fails, i myt have to move closer to bankstown or on campus...[im using is as my last resort cuz i dunt wana move away from home juz yet ehehehe..] and plus, i cant find a job either... stupid penrith.. hehe.

i fink its so hilarious how everyday i spend 4 hours travelling and only 3 hrs at Uni. i guess the only way out is to find someone who goes to bankstown and lives in penrith ryt? hrrmmzzz.... and finding that someone who has similar times as me... wat are the chances? hehehe... well thanks for the info anyway guys

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I had a friend last year who lived in bankstown and traveled to Hawkesbury. So don't worry too much.

Just think - if you do consider moving, especially living on campus, its actually cheaper to travel the 4 hours each day.

I go to Hawkesbury for 3 hours as well, and I can take up to 6 hours on a bad day of traveling time.

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
na i cant drive :( and even if i did i cant afford a car, and my parents car isn't all dat well ryt now [meaning there is stuff we have to fix] and im not all that...'well off' if u knwo wot i mean....

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
On Mondays, i have uni from 1-3pm so on this day i will go by train and/or bus.

On Tuesdays, i start from 8am and finish at 10am (assuming i don't have to do the workshop for Intro Eco) and my friend will give me a lift there and i will come back home by train.

On Thursdays and Fridays, i will get a lift to the campus and back home with my friend since we start and finish at the same times on those days.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
i have 2 travel from springwood to bankstown for every day which is crazy, luckily we can use the library @ penrith so i dnt have 2 travel to bankstwon 2 do research

ally15

Beep.
HSC
i have to travel from Hurstville to Hawkesbury. It takes me 1 1/2 hrs for me to get there- 2 if the trains stuff up... i went there today and it wasnt as bad as i thought.

ace

is retired
HSC
Well for one, I have to travel more than you. Public transport is just crap, especially westbus. If im lucky and no waiting for buses/trains then just over 2 hours. On average though, going to uni ~2.5hrs, coming back +30minutes, since the trains never seem to come on time.

I noticed the train is a good place to doze off, or at least look dead :D

Oh and the fares are pricey, however I think Westbus are just evil, it costs nearly as much for there trips for the week as I pay for the Travelpass Weekly Ticket.

They should use that damn T-system they created (the school card thingies, that swip over some machine with a T on it, and it beeps if its valid or stuff, and come out with Weekly tickets and such). Just a thought.

Also, with respect to living on uni, its quite expensive. Quite INCREDIBLY expensive.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
yeah for me it will be bus train bus, or bus bus train, or bus train long walk.

that is... if I don't move out before my parents rack off to greystanes.

but that's another story.

Weigh the cons and pros, talk to your parents about any ideas, like on-site accomodation, moving out, or moving in with some family, etc.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ally15 said:
i have to travel from Hurstville to Hawkesbury. It takes me 1 1/2 hrs for me to get there- 2 if the trains stuff up... i went there today and it wasnt as bad as i thought.
One of my friends last year did that. Meh, you'll soon get heaps of work so you will be either working on the train or sleeping.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
If you live more tha 90 minutes away from uni (one direction, public transport) you are eligable for away from home allowance from centrelink. That means though, you move out of home on onto Uni ressies or somewhere closer to Uni.

Ally --> if you live in Hurstville, what school did you go to and what year did you finish??

ally15

Beep.
HSC
White Rabbit said:
If you live more tha 90 minutes away from uni (one direction, public transport) you are eligable for away from home allowance from centrelink. That means though, you move out of home on onto Uni ressies or somewhere closer to Uni.

Ally --> if you live in Hurstville, what school did you go to and what year did you finish??
i finished last year and went to st george christian school (allawah) y?

ally15

Beep.
HSC
Cape said:
One of my friends last year did that. Meh, you'll soon get heaps of work so you will be either working on the train or sleeping.
ur rite cape...i have so much to read i do all my readings on the train.....or just sleep:)

today i was dozing off and then i banged my head on the window :p

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
try carpool, or get a lift with someone in ur subject in ur area.. or get a license, (car or bike)..

i luckily live next door to a person in my course.. and give her lifts home, otherwise it takes her about 1h30 to get home :(

i am sure there has got to be a way u could get to uni quicker... not to mention saving 1 way on a trip may save upto 3$ a day, 1.80 for bus and i think 2.20 one way on train.. but not to mention an extra 1h30 if it takes u 2hours to get somewhere and your friend can pick u up from somewhere or ur house and takes 30mins to get there

theone123

blue essence
HSC
mibiony said:
i was wondering if uws offers any sort of help or assistance with people who live say 45km+ away from the campus they're at? I travel for 2hours each way, and its not like i mind, but spending approx. $35 [plus or minus few $] on public transport each week.... it adds up. So i was juz wondering if anyone knows of any guidance offered to people in my position? Or can we claim anything? Thanks :)
there is some $4000/year scholarship you can apply for. i saw it a=on teh bill boards around the uni, check up about that first. i think your grounds are very suitable for that scholarship. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)