living on campus? (1 Viewer)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
hey guys,
im aiming to go to UNSW next year, and was wondering if any of you live on campus and could tell me what the rooms and stuff are like?

Starlet

Which college are you starting at? Why did you pick that college?

I was thinking of moving onto campus next semester too, b/c i'm currently sharing an apartment really close to uni. I like being able to have ppl over and eat what and when I want. But then again having to do grocery shopping and cooking all the time can get annoying, and plus it'd be nice to test out college life and meet some more people... I wouldn't know which college I would want to apply for though.. any suggestions?

kaseita

hm...I'm a bit late

I was going to go to warrane college, but I opted to travel to and from home instead.

I only know what the catholic colleges are like cause I've got friends in there. There's not really much in there in terms of equipment.

The girl's one (creston) isn't that great either apparently. Lots of leakages and fairly cramped rooms.

but that's what I've heard anyway. You'd probably be interested in the others.

actually, I've got a friend in Baxton College as well...he doesn't seem to complain all that much. *shrugs shoulders*. don't think I've been much help, hehe

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
welcome back kaseita =)

how long does it take u to travel to uni from home?

kaseita

heya minai! didn't know things were still happenin round here!

takes me about an hour half on average, though on a good day, only takes about 50mins. just two buses - one on M2, and then that awful bus from central to unsw :(

though its way better than school! one lousy bus that seemed to stop everywhere, for long periods of time

how bout u?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha yeah, well we have our own UNSW forum now !

I guess thats ok,
yeah it takes me about 45 mins, train to central then..yeh the 15 min wait in the gay UNSW bus queue...

Mill

HSC
I know 3 people who are in New College and they seem to like it.

Starlet

How come you're considering UNSW, melbournian?

Hehe I ask this seeing as I am a 1st yr UNSW student myself, who just moved from Melbourne this year :)...

Starlet

Fair enough... sounds ambitious :)... hope it all works out for you..

And good luck for your SACs!

Starlet

Hehe well sounds like you've got everything under control then.. although true, Methods does sound like a breeze.

Sorry, I'm not at college right now either. If you'll look higher up in the post, I also wanted to know about the colleges of UNSW and how they differ. I have applied to the Kensington Colleges, New College and Shalom College though...

From what I've gathered from ppl at uni though:
Kensington Colleges: probably the wildest, noisest college with people who are constantly drunk :).. apparently also quite hard to get into!
New College: also pretty wild, although they aren't allowed to have alcohol in college, doesn't seem to stop them from going crazy it seems
Shalom College: jewish college, but lets in all denominations, i have a friend in my course who lives there who seems to quite it quite a bit. seems a bit more laid back than new or kenso colleges.
Warrane: Single sex for guys.. I have friends in this college who seem to like it, very brotherly atmosphere i think.. although no girls allowed in the rooms at any time at all hehe, they must be so deprived.. and apparently run by some rather extremely religious christians?
Creston: Warrane's sister school, single sex for girls, really small, only about 25 girls, don't know much about it, but run by same wackos
International College: dont let in ppl straight from high school, more for post graduate students, quieter atmosphere i think

hope that helps you out...

although I would still luv to hear from other ppl out there about what else they've heard about UNSW college life! I still dont know exactly where I would choose if I got accepted to all 3 colleges..

mjor

college

i live at college at UNSW and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone... its a very easy lifestyle.. rooms are big enough, food is decent (i rekon), great for meeting people etc etc etc

Starlet

If you don't mind me asking, mjor which college do you live at?

Do you recommend or not recommend any colleges in particular?

mjor

Baxter.
Which, of course, is the best :)
but they are all pretty good

smithy

New Kicks ass!

New Kicks Ass!!!

Well, of course this is a biased opinion, but who cares- it's true. New college is so aweosme because its not a total pissup- if people want to go get pissed they have to go outside college, so it makes the study atmosphere better (in theory).
The best bit about being in college is i can get up at 8:45 and be at lectures by 9:05.

College is still fucken expensive, but worth it.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Re: New Kicks ass!

Originally posted by smithy

College is still fucken expensive, but worth it.
how much do u mean by fucken expensive? coz i'm thinking of maybe going to UNE, and most of their colleges are about $200 p/w - they are all catered ones.... and i dunno if that is cheap or what??

smithy

I pay 260 a week- for a fairly small room, food, network connection, etc- and a brilliant social life.

turtle_2468

HSC
I still live at home, but I've visited and even lived at quite a few colleges for short periods, so here's my take:
Baxter: Looks ok. More disorganised than new etc, but dining hall looks cool, ppl are kinda wild. Food... well. You didn't expect good food in college!
New: Much "neater" impression than Baxter, heaps of adv sci/med students for those inclined in that direction (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hard to get into...
Shalom: Jewish but lots of internationals. Food is kinda strange if you're not Jewish... eg chickpeas, when we stayed there for a few weeks some friends took to going to macca's instead of having dinner there... tho that happens at other colleges too
Those are the only ones I've been to.
Hope that helped..

Starlet

Hey Smithy (or anyone else who knows),
So do your college fees (ie $260) include your net connection already? Do you have unlimited download or do you have to pay by the amount you download?

And also are you allowed TVs in your rooms in New College? Just wondering, because I know Warrane don't allow it but Shalom do.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)