living on campus, whats it like? (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Just wait until winter time :)
yes i would also agree with that... cars come in handy for the lazy

what function did austin have on saturday night?? i was at the Rural Science Ball... much beer and wine was consumed (especially when we started playing 'i never' and the boys ganged up on me!! lol)

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
ballerinabarbie said:
yes i would also agree with that... cars come in handy for the lazy

what function did austin have on saturday night?? i was at the Rural Science Ball... much beer and wine was consumed (especially when we started playing 'i never' and the boys ganged up on me!! lol)
Barndance and valedictory dinner on sat night, recovery on sunday.

I didn't go with those boys but I saw them stumble back lol

erin_b_13

HSC
just so you know, all colleges have to pack up their rooms at the end of each term, i'm in drummond and smith, but as we all the smallest college on campus and the furthest away from the academic facilities, we have been pretty lucky this year with not having to completely pack up our rooms - but there is a disadvantage to drummond and smith - we have been evacuated 19 times this year for "fire", usually been set off by cigarette smoke and shower steam, but yea, once we had one at 3:30 in the morning, but we got new ones, and since then we have only had one, but yea that is a downside. overall d&s sucks, but so do all colleges, i lived at mary white for the 1st week and it smelt really bad becoz it is the oldest college on campus, it looks like they mop the carpet there, but yea, i suggest you move into town, because as soon as i get the chance, i am!!! i have heard good things about wright village, but its a risk like town with being stuck in a place with people youmight not necessarily like lol, so yea, there really is a downside to everything

erin_b_13

HSC
yea i know, but it is quieter, and if you make some good friends while at uni, then its all good, and the majority of the bus routes up here go into uni and pass all the main buildings (economics, business and law, and some environmental building, and leads up to the northern carpark, which is right next to all the shops, the bistro, newagent, dentist, post office etc. and the education building and childcare centre, and most places in town have like between a two and fifteen minute walk to the bus stop and then it takes you straight to uni. and also the prices for college (the majority of them, some are going up more!) are going up over a thousand dollars next year - and you definitely do not get what you pay for in the first place lol

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok erin b - maybe you don't like your college experience - but for a lot of people, college is the time of their life - so i'd just like to shed some light on that topic

yes college is expensive (around about $230-$240/week next year) but keep in mind that's food, room, water, electricity, heating, cleaning,academic support, social functions, sport, cultural etc. etc. considering colleges in the city cost around double this, its not too bad at all...

i've had the best year ever this year - made so many friends, had heaps of fun (oh and some uni thrown in there as well) - i'd recommend college to anyone, when else in your life can you have so much fun - make friends, not have to cook or clean?

forceblade

HSC
erin_b_13 said:
just so you know, all colleges have to pack up their rooms at the end of each term, i'm in drummond and smith, but as we all the smallest college on campus and the furthest away from the academic facilities, we have been pretty lucky this year with not having to completely pack up our rooms - but there is a disadvantage to drummond and smith - we have been evacuated 19 times this year for "fire", usually been set off by cigarette smoke and shower steam, but yea, once we had one at 3:30 in the morning, but we got new ones, and since then we have only had one, but yea that is a downside. overall d&s sucks, but so do all colleges, i lived at mary white for the 1st week and it smelt really bad becoz it is the oldest college on campus, it looks like they mop the carpet there, but yea, i suggest you move into town, because as soon as i get the chance, i am!!! i have heard good things about wright village, but its a risk like town with being stuck in a place with people youmight not necessarily like lol, so yea, there really is a downside to everything
lol sounds like you had a rough year, i hope my first year isnt like that :(

anyways do the uni and the colleges have any wireless networks around? cause i need it to get on the net for my laptop.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
forceblade said:
lol sounds like you had a rough year, i hope my first year isnt like that :(

anyways do the uni and the colleges have any wireless networks around? cause i need it to get on the net for my laptop.
That's not a terrible year, some of the best laughs we got out of fire alarms, like when it went off at 2 am in the middle of a winter night when it was all foggy outside, you can guess how many turned up there. Also fire alarms are a good time to hop in the car in a mass exodus to somewhere for a little while. Some first year usually sets one off by accident when drunk anyway.

not sure about wireless yet but they have network ports in all college rooms which is better than wireless.

Colleges have one other big advantage, your parents know that if something were to happen to you that you will be taken care of to some extent and they will be notified. Of course if you're a silly drunk then chances are college antics will put you in hospital, like the geniuses who take up dares to do cartwheels down the goat track.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Colleges have one other big advantage, your parents know that if something were to happen to you that you will be taken care of to some extent and they will be notified. Of course if you're a silly drunk then chances are college antics will put you in hospital, like the geniuses who take up dares to do cartwheels down the goat track.
very true - at albies we have one of the RA's (resident advisors) on duty every night (out of office hours) - and they have a phone with them at all times, so if anything happens they can always help...

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
ballerinabarbie said:
very true - at albies we have one of the RA's (resident advisors) on duty every night (out of office hours) - and they have a phone with them at all times, so if anything happens they can always help...
You would find for OH&S reasons there should be 2 on duty :)
but usually your block one is happy to help with problems anyway.

kezryn

HSC
hey jesscookie?
are u from binda? are u bens lil sis? im not tryin to weird u out or anything. if it is u im teresas lil sister lol. ok im guna go i sound weird now ciao.

jesscookie

HSC
do u reckon it will matter all that much if i dont turn 18 til may? will i miss out on stuff?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
jesscookie said:
do u reckon it will matter all that much if i dont turn 18 til may? will i miss out on stuff?
most of the time (at albies anyway) if there is a big function on and there is a bus to the pub they don't even check your id... most places will check on a saturday night though... i'd say the most strict places are the newie, the stro and that new nightclub thing - think it's called pulse

other than that - you will probably be able to drink at college functions etc. and join in just random drinking sessions around college

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
ballerinabarbie said:
other than that -
You might like to reconsider what kind of specifics you post on a public forum. Underage drinking is a no no and naming names or admitting to breaking laws is never a good idea as you never know who is reading. If people can't read between the lines and you trust them then PM :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)