• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Living by yourself (1 Viewer)

sladehk

le random
HSC
:mad1: Hey,
I was wondering how much it costs approximately to live by yourself, like all costs included and for people who do, how much work you do (like hours) and types of support you can get for living away and studying at uni. I read the youth allowance gives you 334.70 per fortnight but i doubt it is enough. Also i was wondering how ppl found accomodation and etc.

Thanks,
sladehk

sladehk

le random
HSC
As in living away from family. Do you know the approximate costs of living alone or living in a shared accomadation?

kalli

HSC
living away from home is hard. y

ou may be able to apply for youth allowance and rent assistance (do a search for those threads - theres heaps) and this will help somewhat.

i pretty much guarantee that you wont be able to live by yourself straight away it just costs too much.

facilities like electricity, water and gas cost approx 80-120 for 3 months.
phone will be approx $30 a month for line rental alone then youpay for calls on top of that.
internet... $50.
groceries $50-80 a week...
rent - depends on where you live (i live in melbourne so i dont know what rent is like in sydney)... lets say 150-200 a week...

so thats about 900 - 1300 a month... you need to work about 70-90 hours a month in a job that pays $16 an hour JUST for BASIC living enxpenses... that doesnt include clothes, food at uni/work, transport, loans payback...

i definitely suggest moving in with friends or on campus at uni...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
use www.flatmatefinders.com , i used it to find the place i'm moving into soon : )

i sat down the other night and tried to work out a budget that meant i had to work 25-30 hrs/week... which'll mean cutting back on cigarettes and other such necessities :s during the midyr break i plan to work heaps and save it though for once in my life

you have to consider things like shared food or own groceries, how often you like to go out, how much you typically spend when you go out etc etc... its not realistic to cut all that stuff out of your budget all together and say "oh well i won't do it anymore"

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i dont live by myself, but i do live away from home.
i found my place on the notice board at UOW.
i got lucky, my rent is $65 perweek.
HUGE bedroom. awesome. big kitchen. backyard. etc etc. and a 10-15min walk into town. depends who im walking with and how i feel etc.

its been about 2-3months since i moved in, and ive only payed one bill, which was $23 for gas.
its a four bedroom house, so bills are split 4ways.
we buy our own food.
so you need money for rent - mines $130/fornight
bills - electricy, gas, possibly water, and internet. (i dont have internet as of yet, so im saving money)
car - if you got it
food - depends on what you buy. i paid $4 for my dinner last night, but didnt cook as i went out and didnt have time to cook dinner and eat it.
plus i eat at my moms as well, so i save heaps on food.

so yeah. its hard. well, i find it hard. i get about $380 or something along the lines of that youth allowance, and coz the place i work at is gay, i only work 3hrs a week (6 if im lucky) so i get $40 a week from work.
plus my mum buys me stuff and gives me money for all my art. so yeah.

good luck with living away from parents

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
wollongong is different though; it's very VERY unlikely you'll find a place for $65 in syd, in fact it's basically impossible

absent

on so many levels
HSC
I live near parramatta and pay
*$230 weekly for rent
*$120-200 fortnightly for food
*$70 per month for internet
*approx $70 monthly phone bill
*$90 quarterly for gas
*$300 quarterly for electricity
*$70-100 quarterly for water

then add animal vet bills, petrol, cigarettes or alcohol, new clothes, textbooks, uni fees, car parking fees, take away, etc.

But I'm not complaining, I love my life!! Its just very expensive!!
But if you live with approx 3-4 others, its much cheaper. Just don't rely on Centrelink payments, you may not even qualify (I didn't), you will have to work

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
absent said:
I live near parramatta and pay
*$230 weekly for rent
*$120-200 fortnightly for food
*$70 per month for internet
*approx $70 monthly phone bill
*$90 quarterly for gas
*$300 quarterly for electricity
*$70-100 quarterly for water

then add animal vet bills, petrol, cigarettes or alcohol, new clothes, textbooks, uni fees, car parking fees, take away, etc.

But I'm not complaining, I love my life!! Its just very expensive!!
But if you live with approx 3-4 others, its much cheaper. Just don't rely on Centrelink payments, you may not even qualify (I didn't), you will have to work
Do you live by yourself?! Because im going to be moving out soon with a friend and we were looking at places in the Parramatta area as well as Eastern Suburbs and North Shore. But $230/week seems like alot unless you're by yourself., considering most places we've seen are $300/$350 but for the two of use- so itd be $150-$175 each.

Is it really hard then if youre by yourself, because i cant imagine how its possible to survive without struggling, let alone not being supported by Centrelink.

And $70/internet/month?!whoa. How does that work? Surely itd be about $40at most?

ohdato

HSC
Those are 3 very different areas.
One thing that stands out is Transport Parramatta has trains and buses everywhere. But Northshore doesnt have trains. Depending where you go to Uni/Work this could be a big ditch.

Tingaling

HSC
the rent does depend on where you live, i'm around hurstville and it cost about $300 - $400 for a house, but i share with 4 other friends, which makes it alot easier. but the thing with sharing is that if your clean... your most likely be the only one cleaning....=_____=" and if your dirty/messy, not alot of us would like you... =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)