Literature (1 Viewer)

nedzelic

HSC
indeed it is friend

i would recommend reading it conjunction with BNW - if you haven't read it already

quite an interesting read. if you weere lookign for alot of stuff-happening, based book then this would not be the one, but some very interstingf concepts in here

nwatts

HSC
Anyone here read Sophie's World? I've had a few friends recommend it to me, just curious as to what everyone thinks.

malkin86

HSC
I was really disappointed in the ending.. but then I'm not much into post-modernism. Otherwise, it's a fairly enjoyable trip through the main ideas of Western philosophy - not too hard to follow, but I don't know enough about philosophy to say if it cuts the ideas short shrift. I also found the character of the mother really annoying - she seemed stereotypical to me. That's allowable in this circumstance, but still annoying. If you're after a non-dry, guided introduction to Western philosophy, you could do a lot worse.

walrusbear

HSC
The_highwayman said:
I would still class Harry Potter as "Literature" even if it is a part of popular culture. It is bound to become a classic one day.
only in the same way that lord of the rings and narnia are 'literature'

nedzelic

HSC
oh god, it is not and never will be literature (harry pot-head)
we've been through this before, long livity is only a minimal aspect of literature in the true sense

walrusbear

HSC
nedzelic said:
oh god, it is not and never will be literature (harry pot-head)
we've been through this before, long livity is only a minimal aspect of literature in the true sense
it doesn't equate to literature in any sense

nwatts

HSC
walrusbear said:
only in the same way that lord of the rings and narnia are 'literature'
Nope, Rings and Narnia are recognised classics of the genre. Harry Potter is popular children's fiction. There is very significant depth in Lewis and Tolkien's writing that Rowling lacks.

nedzelic

HSC
The_highwayman said:
Yes. It also needs correct spelling...or, rather, actual words. :rolleyes:

(i think u mean "Longevity")
i stand by my bushism ;)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
ne·ol·o·gism Audio pronunciation of "neologism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-l-jzm)
n.

1. A new word, expression, or usage.
2. The creation or use of new words or senses.
3. Psychology.
1. The invention of new words regarded as a symptom of certain psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia.
2. A word so invented.

4. Theology. A new doctrine or a new interpretation of scripture.

:D

I don't think it's terribly practical to devote one giant clunky thread to literature discussion. If there's a particular work that you'd like to discuss, start a thread on it and people who have read it or are interested in reading it will post there. That way there'll be no need for all this arguing about literature's definition.

Anyway, I think it's important to have some Tolstoy or Fitzgerald in your literary diet, but it's also good to keep in touch with popular fiction. You will get trash like The DaVinci Code but every now and then you'll get a Carrie as well.

Last edited:

nedzelic

HSC
Benny_ said:
ne·ol·o·gism Audio pronunciation of "neologism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-l-jzm)
n.

1. A new word, expression, or usage.
2. The creation or use of new words or senses.
3. Psychology.
1. The invention of new words regarded as a symptom of certain psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia.
2. A word so invented.

4. Theology. A new doctrine or a new interpretation of scripture.

:D

I don't think it's terribly practical to devote one giant clunky thread to literature discussion. If there's a particular work that you'd like to discuss, start a thread on it and people who have read it or are interested in reading it will post there. That way there'll be no need for all this arguing about literature's definition.

Anyway, I think it's important to have some Tolstoy or Fitzgerald in your literary diet, but it's also good to keep in touch with popular fiction. You will get trash like The DaVinci Code but every now and then you'll get a Carrie as well.

well thanks for the definiton, but i think i prefer bushism
and i'd stand by the worthiness of the thread
people know what we mena by literature, and my original post specificalll excluded dan brown and harry potter etc
that's what the other 40 threads are for. i'm just trying to pull this place out of the gutter...joke in case you all get your knickers in a knot

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Man.. so much sarcasm gets lost on the internet :p

My impression was that ned_zelic wanted not to discuss literature as a concept, but works of literature. If he wanted to discuss War and Peace for instance, he could simply start a thread on War and Peace.

malkin86

HSC
And if one says 'Geez, I loved (old work of fiction), wasn't that a ripper?' and nedzelic says 'um.. not literature...', then he's going to have to define for us what he sees as being literature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)