literary appropriations help! (1 Viewer)

grainybred

HSC
I have to do a term-long task investigating a key text and two manifestations of that text in another cultural context. The manifestations can be in another form such as film and it has to clearly reflect the values of its time/comment something about society. Some examples include Jane Eyre, Romeo and Juliet, The Wizard of Oz, Pride and Prejudice, and fairytales (e.g Cinderella) as they have many appropriations. However, these texts and other classics are extremely overdone :(

Can someone please give me any other suggestions/recommendations of a text and some appropriations? It would be really helpful if there was academic writing about the key text too (it also cannot be a HSC prescribed text or Emma/Clueless). Thanks!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe there are several texts other than the ones you've listed that have had film manifestations which you can use for your task:

- Around the World in Eighty Days (Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours) - a novel by Jules Verne
- Journey to the Center of the Earth (Voyage au centre de la Terre) - a novel by Jules Verne

Several film adaptations were made for these 2 novels, which you can have a look at on their respective Wikipedia pages to see whether it would be good to use either of them for your task:

Additionally, you could check out this link to a blog containing a list of other texts and their respective film manifestation. I believe some of the ones suggested are HSC prescribed texts so you should definitely ignore those:

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)