Listening (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
a) Do NOT write during the first reading (there are usually two). Just listen to everything that is said and try to get a vague idea of what's being said.

b) There will be a break between readings, use this to write down particularly important words. They're important if you think they're pivotal to the message, or if you need to look them up later.

c) Pay attention to this second reading, and write down any important words you may have missed. Try not to start answering the question until after the speaking has ended, even the last few words are important.

d) You don't have much time now. Write down everything relevant to the question, but stick to the point. Don't add extra details in the hope they will earn you more marks, because often they will lead to a contradictory answer. Keep your responses sharp and focused.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i work a bit differently.. i tend to start writing as soon as i get the general idea. and usually you do after you read the questions :p i try to write down what i hear even if i don't understand it. that way you can work it out later and look things up in the dictionary. cos with listening, once you miss it, you miss it.
you'll get space on the listening paper to write down junk, and don't worry about being too wordy because you might be able to scab marks on some random point you got down.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i do it differently to lexie, more like toods

i read the question first. then when they start talking i start writing. i find i forget otherwise. i leave blanks where i have missed bits.

in the break i continue to write, and then see what i may have missed out

when they talk again i fill in all the blanks i have left

then in the next break i begin to write my answer into the spaces. STOP as soon as they begin to talk about the next question otherwise you will get mixed up and miss parts of the next question.

if i don't have enough time to write it all into the space, i come back and fill it in at the end of the listening time. as i have so much writing on the side i can fill it in.

this may not work for all people, find what works for you!

IMPORTANT:
write ANYTHING you understand which is vaugely to do with the question.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, a lot of my friends swear by the [Toodulu/iambored] method. I just prefer my own as I find it simpler and more effective to listen closely and memorise the content of each listening block. That way I can run through the interplay during the silent breaks. Of course, I have a brain like an iPod so this may not work so well for you...

Each to his own. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I said it before, please stop asking me my marks. Even bands I will take to the grave, regardless of how good or bad they may seem to others.

:)

karnevil

HSC
Yeah I watched a ton of jap movies and anime, it helps :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Try to avoid reading the subtitles if you can. Kids anime tends to use simpler language. You won't be running into things like "humanity" or "pathos" in Hamtaro. ;)

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Try to avoid reading the subtitles if you can. Kids anime tends to use simpler language. You won't be running into things like "humanity" or "pathos" in Hamtaro. ;)
Then again, you won't run into those sorts of things in any high school course, let alone 'Advanced' Japanese text book or University course!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's precisely the reason I recommended it. The language used is more appropriate to HSC level Japanese. :)

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Try to avoid reading the subtitles if you can. Kids anime tends to use simpler language
haha so are you advocating 'adult' anime :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hell no! I was saying kids anime is far more appropriate for the purpose of developing useful listening skills. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)