linux distros (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
does CSE office keep CDs of distros for students to borrow?
i want to get debian but it's massive like seven cds?
i know there's the netinstall but that takes time and bandwidth which i don't have

so is there? or are there any other sources?
i know compsoc had install fest so there must be couple of cds around the place?

Affinity

HSC
the full Debian is 3-4 CDs (as of Jan 2005), but the first 2 is what you really need.

f3aCyclone

HSC
For some eay installation instructions you might want to check out http://www.debianuniverse.com/readonline/

It's getting a little old, but all the X config is quick and easy using their method. Also, once it's up and running you should compile an optimised kernel - makes it significantly faster.

You might be able to d/l the cds from your isp's mirror - it can be quicker and easier and doesn't hurt your quota.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
CompSoc sells Linux distributions (Debian, Fedora, etc.. ask!) but you'll have to organise a time that someone will be in the office (located next to the Student Office in K17). Email compsoc.linux@cse.unsw.edu.au or compsoc.exec@cse.unsw.edu.au).

It's about $10 for a set of 3 (not sure - haha what kind of exec member am I - I think we changed the prices).

We may also have Ubuntu cds (which are free).

If you don't want to pay, you can download off the CSE mirror which is located at http://mirror.cse.unsw.edu.au/ .

By the way - you only need 3 Debian cds for a full install, not all 7. You can download additional packages as you need them.

edit: oh, and you can always email compsoc.linux for linux support. Helpful bunch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)