Libertarian movement (1 Viewer)

TJefferson

HSC
The time has arisen for a Libertarian movement in Australia. Government spending is out of control and all the opposition can propose is giant welfare schemes-conservation corps etc. All young liberty minded individuals come forth! Let us start a new Party on our campuses (following in the footsteps of Young americans For Liberty) with annual national meetings. Any ideas???

END STATISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah nah nothing will happen. People are becoming more statist if anything.

And no point starting a party, just support the LDP

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think I'm more Minarchist than pure Libertarian. Though I agree with a lot of Libertarian ideals.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
If the majority of Libertarians weren't so fucking nauseating and lacking in considered judgement, I would probably call myself one.

That is what holds the movement back: that there are so many aspie right-wing young lib "libertarians" who only care about making sure their daddies don't have to pay taxes but don't give a shit about the "undesirables" of society or social freedom in general.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I would rather attach myself to specific causes, like advocating for the treatment drug use as a public health issue, rather than as a criminal justice issue.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
If the majority of Libertarians weren't so fucking nauseating and lacking in considered judgement, I would probably call myself one.
wait so the only reason you don't hold a particular philosophy is because you don't like the other people who do?

So you aren't basing it on the philosophy's merits?

coz yeh u rly shouldnt do that oklolz

That is what holds the movement back: that there are so many aspie right-wing young lib "libertarians" who only care about making sure their daddies don't have to pay taxes
my dad is a cop and my mum works at a library

the reason I am a passionate libertarian is clearly not because I don't like my dad being in a high tax bracket

(that's not to say that even the middle class isn't overtaxed, however)

but don't give a shit about the "undesirables" of society or social freedom in general.
It's not so much "not giving a shit" as it is:

1. It's not right to try to fix social problems by taking people's money at gunpoint
2. left wing policies really actually hurt the poor and make them dependant on government. So although the left might be seen to be the "caring compassionate" side, they often do more harm than good

And what do you mean "social freedoms"? Because if you're mean it in the civil liberties sense, then wtf, nobody fights harder for drug legalisation and equal gay rights, for example, than the libertarians I know

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
I actually don't like labelling myself as anything, because I feel it's lazy and makes me feel like a lemming.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of awfully irritating people who call themselves "libertarians" who fight for "freedom" (mostly in America)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I actually don't like labelling myself as anything, because I feel it's lazy and makes me feel like a lemming.
k whatevs

I'm just saying that there are a lot of awfully irritating people who call themselves "libertarians" who fight for "freedom" (mostly in America)

well most people in America who talk about "Freedom" are conservatives who are really just selfish libertarians

like "Oh well I don't the tyrannical government taking away MY guns and MY money"

"Oh, drugs? nah fuck drugs government BAN PLZ KTHX"

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
srsly tho if you want your precious mary jane legalised then no one supports you more than libertarians

i have never and probably will never touch the stuff, but hey if you want to be a artsy stoner freak that should be your right :O :O

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I was going to ask the same question, tbh.
Multiple individuals that have posted in this thread consider it morally acceptable to kill his dad in circumstances which may arise simply due to him performing his duty as a police officer. :party:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Wow. Your dad is an armed criminal. How do you feel about that?

Does he believe in things like drug prohibition?

yeah I've talked about this before, and the irony and everything etc

tbh it is really annoying. but he's a good man, he's definitely not one of the smug power hungry sort of people. He gets treated like shit and Mildura is full of absolute retards so its really hard to be objective

sadly, he does believe in drug prohibition. Ive tried talking to him about it but he just doesn't want to talk about it and acts like "Oh well that's your opinion then..if you saw what I see as a police officer blah blah" as if being them illegal isn't causing the problems he speaks of.
Even marijuana, and when I asked him why, given its harmless etc he says that he's been to police seminars about how marijuana gives everyone schizophrenia and makes them go crazy, which was really frightening and upsetting to hear.

Seriously though most of his work involves going to people's houses and stopping drunken men beating the shit out of their wives and children (Mildura has highest amount of domestic violence in the state ftw), so as much as I am opposed to his line of work in general, he's definitely not one of those sorts who poses a huge threat to personal liberty.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
oh to make things even more ironic, my mum used to work at centerlink :eek:

oh the stories, like how bogan retards would come to centerlink for their baby bonus, and it turns out the baby was born only hours ago..

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I feel your pain dude, though in a different way - my dad's a fundie. I've met very few people with more authoritarian political beliefs. It's difficult with parents because they will nearly always dismiss your views as naive and juvenile when they conflict with their own. That's my experience anyway, i've just accepted that he's never going to change.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I feel your pain dude, though in a different way - my dad's a fundie. I've met very few people with more authoritarian political beliefs. It's difficult with parents because they will nearly always dismiss your views as naive and juvenile when they conflict with their own. That's my experience anyway, i've just accepted that he's never going to change.
That's just part of being a elder parent. I'd be willing to bet that when we're all 50+ that we dismiss our kids views as idiotic and malinformed.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
yeah I've talked about this before, and the irony and everything etc

tbh it is really annoying. but he's a good man, he's definitely not one of the smug power hungry sort of people. He gets treated like shit and Mildura is full of absolute retards so its really hard to be objective

sadly, he does believe in drug prohibition. Ive tried talking to him about it but he just doesn't want to talk about it and acts like "Oh well that's your opinion then..if you saw what I see as a police officer blah blah" as if being them illegal isn't causing the problems he speaks of.
Even marijuana, and when I asked him why, given its harmless etc he says that he's been to police seminars about how marijuana gives everyone schizophrenia and makes them go crazy, which was really frightening and upsetting to hear.

Seriously though most of his work involves going to people's houses and stopping drunken men beating the shit out of their wives and children (Mildura has highest amount of domestic violence in the state ftw), so as much as I am opposed to his line of work in general, he's definitely not one of those sorts who poses a huge threat to personal liberty.
Trying bringing up alcohol prohibition then. Obviously he will have seen alcohol cause far more harm in his career than all other drugs combined, I'm sure it is a huge factor is most domestic violence incidnets. Ask him why alcohol should remain legal?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
That's just part of being a elder parent. I'd be willing to bet that when we're all 50+ that we dismiss our kids views as idiotic and malinformed.
No it isn't, that's just an excuse. Many parents consider their children's opinions based on merit. Not doing this is foolish, even if it is very common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)