Letter to Law faculty (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Okay so i got under 95 but still want to do _____/B Laws at ANU. I was wondering what kind of things i should be putting in this letter. How long? Should i email or snail mail? Who do i send it to? Do i have to send it by jan 4th?

Thanks

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Firstly a warning: Don't hold your breath on getting in.

Secondly (and arguably more helpfully):

The letter should be no more than a page long (half a page is probably adequate).

Snail mail or email is fine - why not do both (possibly add to the email: "a hard copy is in the post I sent this to ensure I made the jan4th deadline").

The letter should include a rundown on why you should be let in to ----/Law. These fall in two categories; why you are good (eg did well in legal studies, school debated, etc) and why you didn't get a good enough UAI (eg how you have been disadvantaged).

As far as whom to send it to I believe the UAC guide directs you to send it to student admin (who will then send it to the relevant faculty).

Attatch any and all supporting documentation you can muster eg school reference, maybe a personal reference from a teacher, official recognition of your disadvanatge, etc.

Try and make the jan4th deadline - shell out for next day express.

Follow the letter up with a personal visit - around say the tenth- drop in at student admin (pauline griffith building) and get directions to see the relevent people. Plead in person, make a good impression.

Do all these things and you might get lucky. However be warned that in a high demand course like Law there may simply be not enough room eg Arts last year was only accepting these 'special consideration' cases where the person was eligible for entry under EAS etc but had for some reason not applied under EAS. This was <5 people.

Consider just doing ----- and then transferring into -----/Law.

omg_a

HSC
just a warning-i remember at PEA day last year they told us that due to increased demand no one had been admitted with less than 95 by sending a letter. so probably a good idea to mentally prepare yourself, think of alternatives like end of first year transfer.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I have heard this story, which goes like this
guy gets 75 UAI, gets into UNE law through EAS. after one year, transfers to ANU with some sort of average I forget what. so that's pretty good.....

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
My cousin:

UAI: 93.

2004 course: Business/Laws @ Southern Cross (Lismore campus)
2005 course: Commerce/Laws @ USyd

It's all about that average. Go where you can get it.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Wolfowitz said:
My cousin:

UAI: 93.

2004 course: Business/Laws @ Southern Cross (Lismore campus)
2005 course: Commerce/Laws @ USyd

It's all about that average. Go where you can get it.
That's impossible, even with straight HD marks, unless they transferred into DFEE.

Wolfowitz

HSC
I got a confirmation letter today.

The letter finished with "May I take this opportunity to wish you well in your future."

To me, that really sounds like 'fuck off'.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Wolfowitz said:
I got a confirmation letter today.

The letter finished with "May I take this opportunity to wish you well in your future."

To me, that really sounds like 'fuck off'.
Confirmation that you made it into a law degree? Were you below the cut-off?

Wolfowitz

HSC
No. Just confirmation they'd recieved my letter.
I made the cut-off for last year but still wanted to be sure.

They note down all the things you put in your letter, then staple that to your application and then consider it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)