Lets Make a Complaint about the poor scaling of SDD.. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalFantasy

HSC
It is so difficult to obtain a good mark in SDD and yet its scaling is minimal...
Lets make a complaint, make them boost the scaling ^_^

hornetfig

HSC
not wanting to sound cruel or anything but what sort of UAI are you expecting/wanting? The problem with SDD is that the quality of the candidature is generally low and thus is scales poorly, irrespective of how hard it is.

FinalFantasy

HSC
I'm aiming for a 9x UAI...
I see what u mean but I have seen some great people do SDD...
That "Slide Rule" guy for example.
hmmm.. I have no idea how the scaling works, whether it would scale low if incapable ppl do it or wateva... I just know that it currently scales quite poorly =P

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
I'm aiming for a 9x UAI...
I see what u mean but I have seen some great people do SDD...
That "Slide Rule" guy for example.
hmmm.. I have no idea how the scaling works, whether it would scale low if incapable ppl do it or wateva... I just know that it currently scales quite poorly =P
Well then maybe you should read up on scaling before you make rather pointless posts about it.

I believe that SDD should receive higher scaling based on the difficulty of the subject as well, but until only students who are capable of doing it take the subject, scaling will be poor. Blame all those bludgers in your class who play flash/shockwave games during SDD.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Both hornetfig and Skywalker are correct... :)

If a course is taken by students who are, on the whole, below average, it will be easier for an average student (or even an above average student) to beat those students and obtain a high rank. The marks for the course are therefore scaled down. (This is after they have been standardised to compensate for difficulties in examination papers and so on.)

But SDD isn't even scaled down anyway - its scaling has generally been around average.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
my SDD class has top quality students in it. are we abnormal?? there is a few dead shits that play flash games all day but we have three 3 unit maths people, a 4 unit, about 7 2 units and 5 others or so. and the others are computer geeks who build and play with computers for fun... there cool but.

is this not normal for an SDD class??

JayWalker

HSC
By referring to those who dont go so well, that would be all of us.

Its not exactly the easiest subject :S

JayWalker

HSC
disco_dave said:
my SDD class has top quality students in it. are we abnormal?? there is a few dead shits that play flash games all day but we have three 3 unit maths people, a 4 unit, about 7 2 units and 5 others or so. and the others are computer geeks who build and play with computers for fun... there cool but.

is this not normal for an SDD class??
Woot thats me, im a dead shit :p

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
JayWalker said:
Woot thats me, im a dead shit :p
whoops, i shouldve left that description of them out!! hehe, nar the ones im talking about wouldnt even know what BOS was (bored and board!!). they only took the class to play the new computers we get all the time...

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
yeah me to actaully... did anyone actually design and develop a decent piece of software?? i made an address book but that wasnt very inovative!

JayWalker

HSC
I did a database manger that didnt do anything,

but one guy in my class made a program that advised when to buy and sell on stockmarket, it even input prices as they changed..

another actually made a game. like dungeons and dragons... nerd. oh well :cool:

Boo_

HSC
i had one that worked!!! calculator that converted between binary, decimal, octal, and hexadecimal. wasn't all my coding, but hey, it got me the marks

neuro_logik

HSC
disco_dave said:
yeah me to actaully... did anyone actually design and develop a decent piece of software?? i made an address book but that wasnt very inovative!
I made a packet sniffer/logger, pretty decent. I'm thinking about developing the project even further to have traffic graphs and network maps... well after the HSC and partying and all.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
neuro_logik said:
well after the HSC and partying and all.
iv got all these plans too post HSC time... dont no how many i will get done (like one is to become an instant millionaire.. hehe). cant wait to finish this sucker!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I wrote a fully working RFC 1459 compliant Internet Relay Chat Daemon from scratch, worked pretty good.

As for the aforementioned points, I can empathize with those who are disheartened by the sheer amount of bludgers who pull down the average. Sure, it's a hard subject at times, but I'm shocked that only 2 people passed the half yearlys and the trials (I'm coming first in the class, and have been dooing so since year 11).

Rabz_17

What i can't believe is that Biology gets scaled better than SDD, well it did last year anyway.

My major assessment was pretty shite, but i don know wat i got for it, our teaher never gives out marks for the assessments. But he marks hard, he's like the fella who has to run around working on the network and all that shite all day, so he expects a lot.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
fuck .................................... i thought this got scaled well ... god damn. im relying on this and physics to help even out my shit maths and english marks!!! and ur definitely right with the amount of 'incapable' students doing the course ... ffs we have like 3 students who came from overseas only like 2 yrs ago who care very little about school, and even less about sdd :confused:

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
i dunno if im right, but isnt it the more worse people go in the hsc, the more it gets scaled up?

xeriphic

PoP 'n' Fresh said:
i dunno if im right, but isnt it the more worse people go in the hsc, the more it gets scaled up?
how does that work, you mean if person a got 50% he would get scaled to 70% and person who got 90% and scaled to 92% ?? err that doesn't make sense, sorry for exaggeration in marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)