let's help em out (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by grk_styl
My english tutor told me to have the majority of it completed by the end of my summer holidays. And for the next couple of terms, work on it to get it absolutely perfect.

Good idea or not?
See this is the IDEAL situation but for some people the summer holidays will be a revelation that they are doing the wrong thing....start it and try to complete...but i find that this tends to lead to a complacency to fine tune the work, whereas leaving it too late leaves the work merely a shamble....

thus the best solution is construct what you can and work at it throughout the year...there is a reason why there is only one major work...it is a progressive work....thus meaning that by completing everything by the first term you have really missed the whole concept of the course...

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
wont i be relaxing and sleeping at all in the summer holidays???
You probably will be relaxing and sleeping. If you're anything like me, no matter how much advice I was given in the summer holidays I did next to nothing. Anything I did on my major work didn't really help the end product because my idea changed as the course progressed. Enjoy the holidays cos the other holidays you have throughout the year will be much, much more stressful ;)

narrator

HSC
N/A
wont i be relaxing and sleeping at all in the summer holidays???
i think the main point is, don't leave it until the last minute (although who doesn't).

i've noticed over the past couple of years that everyone who's done the course has said they left theirs to the last minute and advises others not too, but no one can really do that.

trust me, it's not worth stressing about. do something over the holidays, an idea, notes, whatever, but remember that you have a whole year for this, when you get your final idea, you'll want to write and write, whether it be summer holidays or mid term 2.

take it from me, i was lucky enough to get an idea before christmas and had my first draft done day one term one, but was still making changes to it the night before it was due, it's just the nature of the work.

KarmaKitten

HSC
thanks guyssss

one other question. is the young writers showcase only for those who got 50/50, meaning only that amount of people got 50?

or after giving 50/50 to certain students they THEN chose kids to put in the showcase?

im sorry if i am confusing :\

Saul

*ss
HSC
( i think its the second option )

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jinglebell
yeah, me too...i'm sure there'd be 50/50 works that wouldn't get in due to the fear of offending someone...

hehe like my one i think

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC

or after giving 50/50 to certain students they THEN chose kids to put in the showcase?
Yeah, I've heard they then choose the best out of the 50/50 works... also I've heard they select works based on things like if you are country or a city student blah blah.... lots of politics involved as usual I've heard!

narrator

HSC
N/A
you also have to remember that they do ask a lot of people who don't want their works published for some reason or another, but i've read some of the showcase works over the past couple of years and i honestly don't think they were all worth 50, some of them i thought were very bland, but they contained really fuzzy, warm messages, that's probably the reason they got in

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by Jinglebell
yeah, me too...i'm sure there'd be 50/50 works that wouldn't get in due to the fear of offending someone...
Originally posted by AsyLum
hehe like my one i think
mine too! :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)