• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Let the punishment fit the... ethnicity? (1 Viewer)

Should a person's race effect their punishment?

• Total voters

impervious182

HSC
This is stupid. Reminds me of Germaine Greer's article on Aboriginal 'rage' because of the European occupation centuries ago. Take a look:

"This sentence seems unusually light, but it also throws an unusual light on modern justice:

The WA Supreme Court yesterday sentenced Mathew Roy McDonald, 22, to five years in jail for the manslaughter of pastoralist Bill John Rowe, 49, last year…
The Supreme Court heard the Rowe family had decided late on Christmas day to go to the beach to play a game of cricket with a new kit that Mr Rowe had given as a present to the family.
While at the beach, an argument had begun between some of the young Rowe and McDonald family members, and that spread to a physical confrontation between the two groups.
The court heard that as the Rowe family left the beach for their cars, Mr Rowe, carrying the family dog, walked up to McDonald to ask him to hand him the family’s cricket bat that he had taken.
McDonald then swung the bat, striking Mr Rowe across the face, fracturing his skull and forcing him to the ground.
Rowe wasn’t the only victim of that confrontation:
To add to the mystery of the light sentence, the court also told McDonald:

- “you consumed prodigious amounts of cannabis and alcohol, cans of bourbon, cans of full strength beer and an abundance of cones, so that by the evening you were well and truly intoxicated”.

- “this was not your fight in one sense”
- “I am at a loss to know why it was necessary for there to be a confrontation in the first place, even on a version which has your family as the wronged group.”

- “You can offer no explanation as to why you took the cricket bat”
- “Mr Rowe - who by all accounts was a gentle man, then 49; he would have been 50 today - offered you and nobody else either any violence”
- “You already have a record for violence but much of that is as a result of your drunken behavior”
- “(You had already been convicted of the) crime of unlawful wounding, (and given an) order of suspension of sentence ... for a period of 9 months”.
So why only a five-year sentence?
First, McDonald’s illegal drug-taking and drinking had been used not to damn him, but save him, as the judge noted, by “reducing the offence from an intentional to an unintentional crime, an unlawful killing”
Second, the crime was said to be unpremeditated, the defendant young and the killing unintentional.
Third, the law is strange, as columnist Paul Murray noted:

Why should an accused in an open and shut case like this get any sentence reduction for an early guilty plea?
But fourth is spelled out in the judgement:

You are an Aboriginal person. I am well aware of the disadvantages faced, particularly by young Aboriginal men. It is a notorious fact, one which should fill all members of this West Australian community with shame, that although comprising only 3% of our population, Aboriginal people comprise 45% of our prison population. The background and privations of many young Aboriginal people are well-recorded and your story, looked at in isolation, would arouse feelings of pity in many people and anger that a young person, as you were growing up, has to live with those privations in 21st century Australia. As a community we have probably come desensitised to the depths of abuse suffered by Aboriginal children in their journey to adulthood. Your background is typical in that respect and needs to be factored into any sentence as part of your overall criminal responsibility. There are parts of your background that have led you and I inevitably to come face to face today because of the disadvantages that have been put upon you from an early age by others.
McDoanld will be out, it’s estimated, in about three years.
(Thanks to reader Steve.)"

From Andrew Bolt

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
fucking kill yourself and your gay dog now please

youngminii

Banned
HSC
alexdore993 said:
You are an Aboriginal person. I am well aware of the disadvantages faced, particularly by young Aboriginal men. It is a notorious fact, one which should fill all members of this West Australian community with shame, that although comprising only 3% of our population, Aboriginal people comprise 45% of our prison population. The background and privations of many young Aboriginal people are well-recorded and your story, looked at in isolation, would arouse feelings of pity in many people and anger that a young person, as you were growing up, has to live with those privations in 21st century Australia. As a community we have probably come desensitised to the depths of abuse suffered by Aboriginal children in their journey to adulthood. Your background is typical in that respect and needs to be factored into any sentence as part of your overall criminal responsibility. There are parts of your background that have led you and I inevitably to come face to face today because of the disadvantages that have been put upon you from an early age by others.

Lol'd

Russdog

russell
HSC
i just like that the supreme court uses the term 'abundance of cones'.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It is no secret, and I posted a link ages ago, that Aboriginal offenders get lighter sentences for the same crimes committed by other ethnicities.

We can rest easy in knowing that they're more likely to be repeat offenders and will spend most of their adult lives in jail, thus there will be less Aboriginals on our streets and ripping our back windscreen wipers off.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
It is no secret, and I posted a link ages ago, that Aboriginal offenders get lighter sentences for the same crimes committed by other ethnicities.

We can rest easy in knowing that they're more likely to be repeat offenders and will spend most of their adult lives in jail, thus there will be less Aboriginals on our streets and ripping our back windscreen wipers off.
I thought the point of criminals going to jail was so that the streets would be cleaner. Not very clean if the criminals keep coming back out and repeating the crime?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
youngminii said:
I thought the point of criminals going to jail was so that the streets would be cleaner. Not very clean if the criminals keep coming back out and repeating the crime?
Nah coz by the time they've repeated for the 3rd time, they usually go away for ages. And so do their brothers and cousins and stuff, so at least there are periods of no crime.

Yay!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You reposted an Andrew Bolt article

Word for word with some shit formatting.

That shit needs to be banned.

however, yeah i agree w/ da op

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The poll implies that people should be punished just for being a certain race. I think you meant 'affect'.

rasengan90

HSC
boris said:
fucking kill yourself and your gay dog now please
Mods, why do my posts which are never as spammy, abusive or obscene as this get deleted?

Anyway, I don't see how bringing a sentence down for killing a man because he is Aboriginal can be justified in any sense. So what if they abuse alcohol and make up 45% of the prison population, that is their fault resulting from choices they have made and cutting down a murderer's sentence isn't going to change it. I heard of a case in NSW a while back where a criminal was left to his tribal court and they ordered him to be stabbed in the thigh with a spear. Thats pretty cool. Should be general issue in Australian gaols.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
katie tully said:

and sucking the petrol out of parked cars, yes!!!

impervious182

HSC
withoutaface said:
The poll implies that people should be punished just for being a certain race. I think you meant 'affect'.
Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed as well, when I'd created the poll. It was too late to edit it though; after 2 minutes of the thread's creation one can't change it. :(

Lentern

HSC
This is just in keeping with the policies Philip Ruddock introduced with the Mohammad Hanneef thingo isn't it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)