Length contraction (1 Viewer)

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Hey, can you guys help with this question.

A spaceship is moving from Uranus (left) to Neptune (right) at high speed. Draw simple sketches describing how the following are visibly distorted:-

a)Neptune relative to the spaceship.
b)Uranus relative to the spaceship.
c)Neptune relative to Uranus.
d)Spaceship relative to Neptune.
e)Spaceship relative to Uranus.

The thing I dont understand about this is what "relative" means in each of those questions. I think it means in relation...

For example, does a and b mean that your travelling with (or in relation/same velocity) to the spacecraft? and vice versa for d and e. Therefore for a and b, the planets would contract and for d and e, the spaceship would contract.

Thanks.

sexisash

HSC
Hey, can you guys help with this question.

A spaceship is moving from Uranus (left) to Neptune (right) at high speed. Draw simple sketches describing how the following are visibly distorted:-

a)Neptune relative to the spaceship.
b)Uranus relative to the spaceship.
c)Neptune relative to Uranus.
d)Spaceship relative to Neptune.
e)Spaceship relative to Uranus.

The thing I dont understand about this is what "relative" means in each of those questions. I think it means in relation...

For example, does a and b mean that your travelling with (or in relation/same velocity) to the spacecraft? and vice versa for d and e. Therefore for a and b, the planets would contract and for d and e, the spaceship would contract.

Thanks.
A and B mean you are in the same reference frame as the spaceship. C and D mean you're on Neptune, E means you're on Uranus.

"L is the length observed by an observer in relative motion with respect to the object", that means travelling in any direction.

so in A you're moving TOWARDS neptune: Neptune contracts.
in B you're moving AWAY FROM uranus: Uranus contracts too.
in C: nothing. Neptune and Uranus aren't moving significantly?
D: Neptune contracts
E: Uranus contracts

pman

Banned
HSC
Length contraction etc is a result of relativity, this is why it is relative...basically draw them from stationary relative to them and then contract their length due to the speed of the ship

pman

Banned
HSC
A and B mean you are in the same reference frame as the spaceship. C and D mean you're on Neptune, E means you're on Uranus.

"L is the length observed by an observer in relative motion with respect to the object", that means travelling in any direction.

so in A you're moving TOWARDS neptune: Neptune contracts.
in B you're moving AWAY FROM uranus: Uranus contracts too.
in C: nothing. Neptune and Uranus aren't moving significantly?
D: Neptune contracts
E: Uranus contracts
D and E are actually spaceship contracts becouse you are viewing it from the planets!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)