Legal Studies Responses/Essays: Legislations, Article, Case (1 Viewer)

vennmuch

HSC
Re writing legal responses to questions along the lines of: evaluate the effectiveness... you know, typical 20-mark worth questions.

Under exam conditions, I'm under the impression that you can't possibly be made to remember a crapload of legislations, articles, cases that are relevant to answer the question. Is this so?

For a response of good quality and qty (19 or 20/20), what'd you say would be the bottomline/average amount of external, prior research on these stuff needed?

Also, for a prepared assessments (essay, surprise surprise), what'd you say be a good number.

At the moment, I'm doing women (as a focus group), and for each issue - education, harrassment, pay, stuff like this - I have a legislation, case and article to support the essay. Minus a few that is not really big topic points, but I'd say most. This comes to about 6-7 cases, legislations, articles which is nearly 20 things to remember. I don't want to stretch the quality of my argument but not wanting to compromise the qty of the content - both are important.

Please shed your light on this. Thanks in advance.

leestarr

HSC
well i know that in the hsc they would expect you to write a booklet maybe remember your given 40 mins since your not doing the hsc now your only limited to doing it in 40 mins as when you get to the actual hsc exam you can save time by doing multiple choice quickly and the crime questions fast then you could spend more time on the options. But to get a good indication of where you should be in regards to quality and quantity its best to go to the assement resource centre and look at a standards package for a band 5/6 student. Its probably the best indication you can get if your looking for a standard.

lychnobity

HSC
About 20 acts/cases/articles would be about right, considering the band 6 responses (from the books) are about 5/6 pages (typed) and manage to talk about the issue in depth.

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
u dont need heaps of cases/media files
legislation ofcourse is necessary
but the syllabus just says ' use of cases/media files '
u just need to use 2-3 to get that point ticked off
my teachers a head marker
and this she told me =]
i know it sounds dodgy but she re emphasised it a few times
also i always use prepared answers and get full marks for my legal essays
why is it a bad idea? i dont get it. i mean its good to have everything then just mould it to question, yes ?

absorber

HSC
u dont need heaps of cases/media files
legislation ofcourse is necessary
but the syllabus just says ' use of cases/media files '
u just need to use 2-3 to get that point ticked off
my teachers a head marker
and this she told me =]
i know it sounds dodgy but she re emphasised it a few times
also i always use prepared answers and get full marks for my legal essays
why is it a bad idea? i dont get it. i mean its good to have everything then just mould it to question, yes ?
Don't do this. Maybe 2-3 for each paragraph, but frankly if you take this risk you're being stupid. 20 is a lot, but use at least 10 or 15 from a variety of forms: legislation/articles/case studies etc
Oh, also, it's my understanding the questions are worth 25 marks and not 20, and 45 minutes to do them, not 40.

Venom.

HSC
Moulding to the question never works; in English yes maybe, but wtf Legal is content based.

Anyone else here just...invent their media files? "The Washington Post's article blah blah". I've done it all year and aced

HSC
Our teacher practically spent half the year giving us articles....i have a whole bunch and they are especially good for shelter when i need soemthing to put in there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)