Legal Studies- Factors affecting criminal behaviour (1 Viewer)

I am the Law

HSC
I was after a case highlighting the contribution of socio-economic disadvantage in criminal activity.

Im experiencing some difficulties. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks guys

I am the Law

HSC
unfortunately not man :( We just have to find them.

Does your school give you some

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, for factors affecting criminal behaviour, cases are NOT a MUST.
However, something you can use for it is this
Dr Don Weatherburn Feburary 2011 NSW Bureau of Crimes Statistics and Research stated that “parents often fail to develop strong emotional bonds to their children when they are exposed to economic stress. Economic stress can be thought of as a distal cause of involvement in crime.”
And that “while there is some statistical evidence consistent with the possibility that there may be inherited factors in crime, that evidence is also open to interpretation in ways which do not implicate genetic factors”.
Also, “offenders commit more crimes when there are more opportunities and incentives for committing it.” (Social)

HSC
If you want some statistics:
- According to the Australian Institute of Criminology, 1/3 of males and 1/2 of female offenders receive welfare or government payments as their main source of income
- According to a Justice Health report in 2004, 78% of the male prison population and 90% of the female population presented with a broad spectrum of mental disorders

It's pretty unlikely that you'll get a specific essay question on this, but it could relate to the theme of 'compliance and non compliance' with the law, in which case, you could use the info from above, as captainpigs pointed out, as well as the statistics :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)