Legal and non-legal mechanisms (1 Viewer)

2022hsc

HSC
N/A
For Legal, we have to chose an issue and write about the legal and non-legal responses to the issue and then evaluate their effectiveness.
One of the recommended options is Pill testing at festivals, however, I'm a bit confused as to how this is an issue? Isn't pill testing acting as a solution to an increase in illicit drug use? I am most likely wrong haha.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of a contemporary issue concerning Australia would be much appreciated.
Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was able to find this information:

The issue of pill testing raises many legal and ethical issues. Who is legally responsible if a festival-goer agrees to pill testing and because of a clear result (or even despite a negative result), takes the pill, and then later gets sick or dies? Would they or their families be entitled to seek compensation from the festival organisers, the pill testers or the NSW Government?

On-site testing kits were used at “Groovin The Moo” and other festivals in Western Europe. These kits are not extremely accurate, as they are unable to detect many new substances which enter the market every year, or the quantity of any given substance in a pill. For example, PMA is a substance which has been linked to several deaths in Melbourne. One one-thousandth of a gram of PMA can be fatal, and on-site testing kits are unable to detect it.

It seems like pill testing is an issue because of legal concerns surrounding the identification of responsible parties as well as posing health risks to the people that go to festivals.

From: https://www.marsdens.net.au/about-us/latest-news/pill-testing-the-legal-issues/

I hope this helps! 😄

2022hsc

HSC
N/A
I was able to find this information:

The issue of pill testing raises many legal and ethical issues. Who is legally responsible if a festival-goer agrees to pill testing and because of a clear result (or even despite a negative result), takes the pill, and then later gets sick or dies? Would they or their families be entitled to seek compensation from the festival organisers, the pill testers or the NSW Government?

On-site testing kits were used at “Groovin The Moo” and other festivals in Western Europe. These kits are not extremely accurate, as they are unable to detect many new substances which enter the market every year, or the quantity of any given substance in a pill. For example, PMA is a substance which has been linked to several deaths in Melbourne. One one-thousandth of a gram of PMA can be fatal, and on-site testing kits are unable to detect it.

It seems like pill testing is an issue because of legal concerns surrounding the identification of responsible parties as well as posing health risks to the people that go to festivals.

From: https://www.marsdens.net.au/about-us/latest-news/pill-testing-the-legal-issues/

I hope this helps! 😄
This is amazing thank you so much for help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)