Lectures + Tutorials: How many hours per week? (1 Viewer)

Affinity

HSC
usually 4 subjects, 3-3.5 for most commerce subjects, 5-6 for sciences and maths, 6 for a language.. erh not sure about the rest..

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
To add to Affinity's list: ~3 for arts, and ~6 for engineering

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hmm...so that looks like about 12-14 hrs/week for Commerce.

Although you actually have to attend lectures for those additional compulsory unrelated subjects as well don't you? (like Philosophy, Psychology etc. - that's assuming I do Commerce) - how long do those take each week? (and do you have to do those in 2nd and 3rd year or only 1st year)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hmm...so that looks like about 12-14 hrs/week for Commerce.

Although you actually have to attend lectures for those additional compulsory unrelated subjects as well don't you? (like Philosophy, Psychology etc. - that's assuming I do Commerce) - how long do those take each week? (and do you have to do those in 2nd and 3rd year or only 1st year)
What additional compulsory subjects? You mean Gen-ed?

These are usually 3CP subjects and are usually 2 hours/week contact during session, or over a week or two in summer/winter

Affinity

HSC
you usually do GenEd in year 2 and 3 only, not year 1.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hmm..ok - is GenEd the one where you're exploring issues in the news etc? (or is that something else?)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
general edu courses are just bludgy crap (all sorts of subjects, making solar cars, soccer, astronomy, etc)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
shannonm said:
general edu courses are just bludgy crap (all sorts of subjects, making solar cars, soccer, astronomy, etc)
Lol.
Are you allowed to choose which GenEd subjects you do, or are all of them compulsory?

grimreaper

HSC
the point of general education subjects is that you get to choose from a wide variety of areas

CrashOveride

HSC
So there is no minimum attendance rate at UNSW or any other uni?

Just a side note...ive talked to a lot of people and the overwhelming majority say that the prescribed textbooks for a variety of courses are useless...and it's better off to just get the lecture notes and course notes from your lecturer/tutor etc. Because at the end of the day, the lecturer or whoeever is setting the test and hence students can be more inclined to avoid the books and just use notes etc. This kind of sucks because I thought if the lecturer is going too fast or you dont understand stuff you can just go and read the books ?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
you usually do GenEd in year 2 and 3 only, not year 1.
yeah, 48uoc is prereq b4 u can do Gen Eds.

Gen Eds are reportedly easy HDs.

You can substitute up to 6uoc of the 12uoc for Gen Ed requirements with a real subject from another Faculty.

Arkad

HSC
CrashOveride said:
This kind of sucks because I thought if the lecturer is going too fast or you dont understand stuff you can just go and read the books ?
Why can't you read the notes? Do you get the notes if you don't attend?

sunny

meh.
HSC
CrashOveride said:
So there is no minimum attendance rate at UNSW or any other uni?
Certain subjects require a minimum % attendance rate. First year maths for example has to have 80% tutorial attendace to pass.

CrashOveride said:
Just a side note...ive talked to a lot of people and the overwhelming majority say that the prescribed textbooks for a variety of courses are useless
This comment will vary subject to subject.

CrashOveride said:
Because at the end of the day, the lecturer or whoeever is setting the test and hence students can be more inclined to avoid the books and just use notes etc. This kind of sucks because I thought if the lecturer is going too fast or you dont understand stuff you can just go and read the books ?
90%+ of the time, the material the lecturers come up with is based on the prescribed text. If you don't understand something, look it up yourself in whatever way you can.

Arkad said:
Do you get the notes if you don't attend?
Alot of the time notes at UNSW are posted online.

Arkad

HSC
sunny: Alot of the time notes at UNSW are posted online.

me: when and how can I obtain them from online? I'm cheap so I don't want to buy the notes if you can just get them online.

I am in need of accounting and econ notes.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Arkad said:
sunny: Alot of the time notes at UNSW are posted online.

me: when and how can I obtain them from online? I'm cheap so I don't want to buy the notes if you can just get them online.

I am in need of accounting and econ notes.
When we say "notes", we mean lecture notes or lecture slides. The lecturer puts these notes up on the subject's home page or WebCT (or whatever web medium the lecturer decides to use).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sunny said:
When we say "notes", we mean lecture notes or lecture slides. The lecturer puts these notes up on the subject's home page or WebCT (or whatever web medium the lecturer decides to use).
Can non-university students access the slides?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)