Lectures followed by tutorials (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey for our courses (in particular MATH1151 for me) is it a good idea to have the two tutorials straight after two of the lectures each week? I thought it might be so what i just learnt would be fresh in my head and stuff.

gman03

HSC
Tut usually go over lecture stuff from last week because the tutorial questions will be based on that.

Most people (but may exclude you) fall behind as time progress because you would have to do other subjects work more from time to time

If you are going to have a test in the tut, you will have the urge to skip the lecture or not pay full attention. In which case you might as well not attend the lecture.

So, no.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Its better to have tuts followed by lectures, trust me.

cause im teh intranet winnar!1

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
From experience I would never pick a Maths tutorial after a lecture of any kind unless I had no other choice because Maths tuts will always have quizes - should be worth 20% in total.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
Tut usually go over lecture stuff from last week because the tutorial questions will be based on that.

Most people (but may exclude you) fall behind as time progress because you would have to do other subjects work more from time to time

If you are going to have a test in the tut, you will have the urge to skip the lecture or not pay full attention. In which case you might as well not attend the lecture.

So, no.
The thing for me is I have Four Maths Lectures on four different days in the morning and I'm free on Thursday. I have tuts in arvo(IS THIS GOOD?) You can't squeeze two tuts on Thursday can you?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
well when you start skipping lectures, I guess it won't really matter ;)

but if you're not planning to skip them, it might not be a good idea because you'd be so bored of what you learned in the lecture, that going on about the same subject in the class would bore you to death and therefore take away your attention.

Raginsheep

HSC
The problem is MATH1151 goes over four days :( meaning and the "best" thing you can do is make one of your tutes on friday which then means that you spend five days a week at uni. That combined with discrete that also goes over four days makes me a very unhappy boy...

gman03

HSC
OKay I am seeing several versions of this question:

a) Is it ok to have two consecutive tuts immediately after two consecutive lectures.

Ans: No, see post #2.

b) Is it ok to have a tut say on tuesday afternoon after two lectures (out of four), say on monday and tuesday morning.

Ans: That's fine as they go over stuff in the previous week

c) Is it ok to have a maths tut immediately after a class (tut or lecture)

Ans: No because of the stress from a periodic quiz. See redslert's post.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
c) Is it ok to have a maths tut immediately after a class (tut or lecture)

Ans: No because of the stress from a periodic quiz. See redslert's post.
Does this relate to other subject tuts as well i.e phys and engg

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Tuna said:
Yes it may also apply, sometimes mid session exams are help in tutorial classes or lectures. Such as for FINS1613, there were four quizes held in tutorials, worth 10% each (total 40%) so it was very important to allow time before the tutorial to study.

Another thing to take note, if you are a person who is continously late to class, it is best not to put tutorials at the start of your day, put a lecture first. It is less embrassing walking into a lecture hall late with couple of hundred people compared to a small class room of twenty. Also tutorials have attendance marks, some of which are strictly if you are late then you are not here.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
How bout having a maths tute before a lecture (if its possible, cbb to check right now)? Will you be too dead from the tute to focus in the lect?

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Well, riddle me this people. You have a Math lecture in Upper Campus, lets say Mathews building (which I did). And lets say you have your tute in the Red Centre (which I also did). Now imagine you had a tute in Upper Campus and a lecture in Lower. You would be late for your tests. In fact, I would not have a tute right after or before your lectures. In fact, try to get a free before your your tutes. Many a test had been aced because of that half hour studying.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Curry said:
In fact, try to get a free before your your tutes. Many a test had been aced because of that half hour studying.
I might be that case as well. Were you that one too?

You could always go out of a lec before 30 min or 5(if you're prepared) to walk to your tut

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Raginsheep said:
How bout having a maths tute before a lecture (if its possible, cbb to check right now)? Will you be too dead from the tute to focus in the lect?
Yes, I did that last session for QMB, it's the reverse of what underthesun said

1 hr tute during which you just go over homework = bored

Then 1 hr lecture on same subject and you can't talk = bored x 100

But if the tute and lec are for different subjects then it's fine

gman03

HSC
If you have a maths tute before that very maths lecture (i.e. algebra tut before algebra lecture or calculus tut before calculus lecture) then you will have to switch your mind very quick because whats will cover in the lecture will be covered in your next tut. You will have a zig-zag feeling.

Of course, very few people are actually up to date with lectures, they will only catch up to the upcoming text topics.

Tuna said:
Phys is borring, and it is worse if you have TWO hours for it.

ENGG - haskell programing, doesn't really matter.

Tuna said:
You could always go out of a lec before 30 min or 5(if you're prepared) to walk to your tut
If you are going to walk out the lecture 30 mins (of an 1 hour lecture) you might as well not attend because you disturb others when you leave.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
The problem is MATH1151 goes over four days :( meaning and the "best" thing you can do is make one of your tutes on friday which then means that you spend five days a week at uni. That combined with discrete that also goes over four days makes me a very unhappy boy...
it's better than 2nd yr actuarial/maths - 5 days spread all over the place. 2nd yr maths is practically fixed for you - no choices.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
If you are going to walk out the lecture 30 mins (of an 1 hour lecture) you might as well not attend because you disturb others when you leave.
sit at the back to leave discretely

Tuna

HSC
N/A
That's what I thought too, I mean do they look at you when you leave? After all it is 100 or more people.

gman03

HSC
I mention that because some lecturer YELLS at people who leaves early and enters late. ANd yes people (not all) will look.

elfm

HSC
most lecturers don't care. most of the people looking at you are just jealous of you :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)