Lecture Question (1 Viewer)

dynasty

HSC
I know Macquarie Uni lectures are recorded and then put up on the website to download, I was just wondering if UWS had anything like this?

placebo

HSC
Usually not. Most put up notes of lecturs, usually a copy of powerpoint slides used.

It would ultimately depend on the lecturer, but most students record the lecture themselves if they want to keep a copy. Most lecturers don't have a problem with that.

Optophobia

HSC
The facilities are there, but i've never had a lecturer utilise them. Instead, they post powerpoint slides on WebCT, and if someone wants to record, they have their own tape recorder.

fai69

HSC
To be honest most lectures do nothing.They simply just re-read the lecture notes in their own words and explain the obvious which is already in the textbook.Only a few lectures were useful to me in my first year but the rest were honestly boring and just repeating either the notes or the book.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
fai69 said:
To be honest most lectures do nothing.They simply just re-read the lecture notes in their own words and explain the obvious which is already in the textbook.Only a few lectures were useful to me in my first year but the rest were honestly boring and just repeating either the notes or the book.
True. But I suppose if you wanted to record it, then it couldn't do any harm. Tape recorders can be picked up for quite cheap, and if you get a digital one, you can keep it on your computer.

dynasty

HSC
Thanks for the replies, yeh i was thinking if i needed to record it i'll do it on my mp3

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
dynasty said:
Thanks for the replies, yeh i was thinking if i needed to record it i'll do it on my mp3
How much memory do you have on it? Just remember an average lecture goes for an hour or more.

L

LaraB

fai69 said:
This is the case with some "colleges" but not with others in general. Business ones i've had a lot were useless (although some were really useful). Law ones you really need to go.

First years - you should go the first 4 weeks or so and then decide :) don't just not go based on what others say coz also - lecturers change from year to year, as does course content so you don't wanna risk getting lost lol...

L

LaraB

natstar said:
Ah ur gonna have to see if this is allowed. Ive heard that some lectures dont like it becuase of interllectual property. In my 3 years at UWS ive never seen anyone record lectures. Lectures can be noisy, and not all lectures are in the big lecture halls that have mics, so if your in a smaller lecture where the lecturer just speaks, i doubt you could get a clear record.

Lectures are pretty standard. They just use pp slides, explain them and give examples. If you have the pp slides they are sufficient enough. Usually if theres anything important you should note that is not in the slides the lecture will tell you. Try to get any examples they mention down too, but honestly I see no need for a recorder
A lot of lecturers also don't because they don't like students not making the effort to turn up to class and then free loading of others - this is also the reason why they don't put recordings on webct, only the lecture slides or summaries usually.

I know a lot of law lecturers don't like it because it 's their personal works and they're happy to give you as a UWS student the full story behind their texts so to speak, but they don't want it just being out there for anyone to use. That and they konw people don't listen and are disruptive then too.

Busines lectuerrs are happy for you to record it seems, especially since they don't even konw you're doing it half teh time if you're in lecture halls but that said, you usually don't need to record those lectures coz the slides are good summaries. If you find you're needing to record so you can write down anything and everythingt hey say you probably need to review your note taking technique because most lectures half about 40% useful information, 60% b ackground/padding/additional info :p

EDIT: as far as noise levels - i only got a fairly cheap mini tape recorder thing - $90 i think 2 yrs ago? so would be cheaper now - as long as you get one that has the voice activiated thing on it - can't remember what it's called - you pick it up really clearly because the recorder sort of filters out background noise. Plus most lecturers use a microphone even in the small lecture rooms :) especially at parra because the facilities are so much better now and even without a microphone the acoustics are good enough for you to hear clearly.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Or you could put your recorder down the front, right infront of the lecturer?

simply__me

HSC
I have a question about finishing times for lectures/tutorials/pracs.

Do they finish on the time displayed on the timetable.. or do they finish say.. 5-10mins earlier so people can get to their other classes that may be right after it...

Sabbo

HSC
simply__me said:
I have a question about finishing times for lectures/tutorials/pracs.

Do they finish on the time displayed on the timetable.. or do they finish say.. 5-10mins earlier so people can get to their other classes that may be right after it...
Most lecturers/tutors usually finish 5-10 mins before the scheduled ending so you can move from one class to another.

j_davo24

HSC
Sabbo said:
Most lecturers/tutors usually finish 5-10 mins before the scheduled ending so you can move from one class to another.
Depends on what needs to be covered and whether the lecturer rambles on or not. For example we had one unit where the lecturer used another's slides and he spent 2 hours on the first 1/4 of it while the other lecturer did it in one hour total, quite comfortably without leaving any major gaps in the content.

So sometimes you will get out very early, other times you might be rushing to your next class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)