leaving Home- Skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

pmr_123

HSC
ok, with Leaving Home by Skrzynecki, i need some desperate help, in the last stanza, he is talking about the three headless crows, which i know are the beaurocrats and i'm trying to discuss the irony of what he's saying, how their treatment of him will determine their fate... etc, i just can't put it into words in my practice essays, it jsut ends up being me babbling on with bullshit!!!

HELP!!!

Aimz- Lou.

Maybe try something like "in "Leaving Home" Skrzynecki makes use of irony in his discussion of "the three headless crows."The crows are designed to be symbolic of the beaurocrats he has been forced to deal with, and are used to suggest that their fate will be decided by their treatment of him."

I hope that helps a little.

pmr_123

HSC
thanks, i know it seemed like a stupid question, but i was just getting so frustrated with it, it kept coming our crap when i was writing about it.
appreciate your help, didn't think anyone was going to reply

Paper_Aeroplane

HSC
forgive me if i'm wrong, but somewhere along the line we were talking about the "three headless crows" in class and we actually thought that Skrzynecki was actually referring to Him and his family, feeling as if they had lost their identities

gosh

i always saw the "three headless crows" as an abstract/surrealist image representing the character's confusion and frustration. it may not necessarily relate to a person or the bureaucrats. it is included to convey the character's lack of direction (the idea of being headless) forced into an inevitable journey he is reluctant to take. thats how i take it anyway, but i guess there isnt a right or wrong answer with poetry or english for that matter...

_fortunes_fool

HSC
Paper_Aeroplane said:
forgive me if i'm wrong, but somewhere along the line we were talking about the "three headless crows" in class and we actually thought that Skrzynecki was actually referring to Him and his family, feeling as if they had lost their identities
I agree. I've always thought the crows represented his family. But hey, I guess it's your own interpretation...

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
Paper_Aeroplane said:

We did that aswell as i vaguely remember

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
pmr_123 said:
ok, with Leaving Home by Skrzynecki, i need some desperate help, in the last stanza, he is talking about the three headless crows, which i know are the beaurocrats and i'm trying to discuss the irony of what he's saying, how their treatment of him will determine their fate... etc, i just can't put it into words in my practice essays, it jsut ends up being me babbling on with bullshit!!!

HELP!!!
Surreal imagery
Alludes to Chaggals paintings.

pmr_123

HSC
we actually learnt it that way in class too, but i went to a lecture where skryznecki went through each of his poems in detail and he told us that to get the top marks you must discuss the irony of the bureaucrats becoming the "three headless crows", and how their treatment of him is determining their fate.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
pmr_123 said:
we actually learnt it that way in class too, but i went to a lecture where skryznecki went through each of his poems in detail and he told us that to get the top marks you must discuss the irony of the bureaucrats becoming the "three headless crows", and how their treatment of him is determining their fate.
Yeah I talk about the bureaucracy in Leaving Home
advice guys: if u dont know how to talk about the surreal imagery don't talk about it coz if u get it wrong u will get marked down.
I know about it but Im not gonna talk about it in my essay, Rather other aspects of the poem.

LateAgainGerald

HSC
goan_crazy said:
Surreal imagery
Alludes to Chaggals paintings.
ummm..just wondering which chaggals painting(s) were u referring to? the 3 candles?
and how exactly does it allude to chagall's paintings?
thank you

[yey! my first post]

pip.marlborough

HSC
'headless crows'- might be reference to Chagall's flying ducks or those that were used to adorn countless Australian lounge room walls in the 1960s and 70s (as he's being removed from his home environment) or could be refering to him and his parents, emphasising the overriding sense of dislocation, rancour and loss of identity. I hadn't heard the beaurocratic symbology thing until now, but if he said it himself- must be right.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
My teacher refers them to Peter and his parents. The clue is number 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)