LEAST favourite book? (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by jogloran
I absolutely deplored Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' when we had to read it last year for preliminary English Extension. I mean, I could see how it was good literature, but it was dense and meandering. Thank God it was only a novella...
yeah i ahd to read it for prelim ext 1 english as well... and thought it was dense... like i had to read it again to understand it more wholisticalli...

lazybum

HSC
N/A
definitely Emma by Jane Austen. I'm not saying her literary skills are bad, in facts she employs irony and humour quite well, and her characters are quite detailed and intricately described, but that'st the problem, the story is over involved and WAY too detailed. nothing ever happens, one never gets a glimpse of the world out of highbury, and to the reader this is highly claustropobic. There is no climax whatsoever anywhere in the book.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i think in school we analyse the books soo much that we dont actually appreciate them .. we dont have the time to! some of them arent that bad, i read holes in year 8 and hated it with a passion then later i read it again, not realising i had already read it and then i though hmm this sounds familar but i was enjoying it too much to care!

Inhuman

HSC
Picture of Dorian Gray by (i think) Oscar Wilde

usually I can read virtually ANYTHING but this book defeated me after a couple of chapters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)